What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Grew up in West Footscray, fond memories for the most part. Mind-boggling that our humble weatherboard house that Dad bought for 3500 pounds is now worth well over $1 million.

It's bonkers isn't it? Same with my grandparents who lived most of their lives in a house close to Highpoint. They sold in the 90s, but such good memories.

Used to love the sound of the tram rattling down Gordon Street, the ammo factory, then walking up Gordon Street and getting the first sight of the Drill Hall and the palm trees.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Grew up in West Footscray, fond memories for the most part. Mind-boggling that our humble weatherboard house that Dad bought for 3500 pounds is now worth well over $1 million.
Good thing is the council is starting to put heritage overlay on a lot of the streets in the area because greedy investors were building 3-4 shitbox townhouses on the cheap that just ruin the appeal of the street and just add another 5-6 cars to traffic.

Essex St now being 40km the entire way through is joke though!

Good thing is the council is starting to put heritage overlay on a lot of the streets in the area because greedy investors were building 3-4 shitbox townhouses on the cheap that just ruin the appeal of the street and just add another 5-6 cars to traffic.

Too late to save the house that my grandfather built with his own hands when he returned from WWII.

What was once a lovely Californian bungalow on a large block is now a fence to fence 50 sq qtr double story overbearing monstrosity.

He'd be turning in his Footscray General Cemetery grave if he saw what became of the house he raised his 6 kids in.

Like the western end of Barkly street. Essex street has always been a joke of dodging parked cars and oncoming traffic. Its way too narrow for what its asked to do.

Also angle parking spaces now marked along our little street!

Miss the Footscray Bowl. It was my first year living in Australia and I bowled with two lads from Footscray who were mad Williamstown supporters and told me of a certain fella called Barry Round.

Not bloody enough heritage listed - all of West Footscray will be low density soon; weatherboards with character being replaced by cheap boring double storeys...

fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn
Not bloody enough heritage listed - all of West Footscray will be low density soon; weatherboards with character being replaced by cheap boring double storeys...

That is the problem unless the dwelling was built 100 years ago it has no heritage listing. So sad to see beautiful houses and streets turned into ugly apartments. This is not just happening in the West also the majority of suburbs in Melbourne

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That is the problem unless the dwelling was built 100 years ago it has no heritage listing. So sad to see beautiful houses and streets turned into ugly apartments. This is not just happening in the West also the majority of suburbs in Melbourne

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep it’s sad.

An acquaintance of mine bought a beautiful weatherboard in Pascoe Vale. They specifically bought it because it was big enough to build another double storey house in the back yard. So they built the new house and live in that for a year…to claim a government grant on new house building, then sell both, make a mint and move on.

Meanwhile the neighbours who have been there for years are left with a double storey house overlooking their once secluded backyard. And the taxpayer has forked out to help folks who really didn’t need a leg up.

I find it all quite unethical really.

Another brill episode from the Tragician

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
IMG_4199.JPG

If we really had a culture problem we would have played in the GF last year?

One player with some off field issues does not constitute a cultural issue.

He really doesn’t understand how sporting clubs work, does he? More like any chance to pot Bevo and the club…

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
View attachment 1536005

He really doesn’t understand how sporting clubs work, does he? More like any chance to pot Bevo and the club…
He doesn’t care about the facts he wants to take a pot.

He’d know very well that Hunter was central to the purported cultural issue yet in that statement presents him as a former bnf perhaps also leaving for those reasons.

Transparent bullshit.

View attachment 1536005

Common when people leave a job/role. They mentally need to justify their decision and invent a scenario to assuage their internal conflicts.

If he's done a real benefit analysis, I would think there are a few wrong ones in there:

Brisbane - better weather, er no. Lived there couldn't wait to get back to Vic.

The people? Backward hicks, like him.

Safer drivers - lol.

Better club culture - I guess they offed Aker on culture but recruited Mitch Robinson?

This is worth a read on several different levels, not least because we get to know a little bit about NMD the person, not just another footy player who is in and out of the side. Importantly it describes the challenges facing most AFLW players who are struggling to match expectations with the reality of being only semi-professional.

This is worth a read on several different levels, not least because we get to know a little bit about NMD the person, not just another footy player who is in and out of the side. Importantly it describes the challenges facing most AFLW players who are struggling to match expectations with the reality of being only semi-professional.

Compared to earlier rugby league players in my youth, not much to complain about.

The legend that was Geoff Gunney of Hunslet, for example. 579 games, played for his country, county and was a one-club man. He got an MBE for his efforts. Laughable when you see some of the dorks who get knighted. Gunney played until he was 40 years old as a part-time pro.

For the 1970 Birthday Honours Gunney was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) for services to rugby league football. He had made 579 appearances for Hunslet at the time of his retirement in 1973.

Claudonious

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In all seriousness gentrification does cause issues tho. I remember seeing scrawled in wet footpath concrete on the way to Footscray station about 10 years ago "bring back the junkies, f*ck the hipster scum"... no word of a lie.

…..and “more yuppie storage” sprayed on the wall of a new development in Barkley street a few years back

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Claudonious

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I live in West Footscray too. Love the place but hate the c#nt who stole my bike from the front of my house. If I know who it is, I will cut his b@lls!!! also the pr*ck who stole the front wheel of my bikE at west footscray train station. you are totally gone you degenerate lowlife T0RD!
P.S. PARDON THE SWEARING. IN SPITE OF ALL THAT I LOVE WEST FOOTSCRAY.

Perhaps it was the same campaigner who stole my bike from west Footscray station the day after the 2016 granny……

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The top 50 has gone from the best top 50 players to the best players in the season just gone. Anyway Bont is still a top 5 player in the league.

Yeah, which is fine. He's a terrible writer and pundit so I'm not sure if many footy followers care very much, but if it's meant to be a genuine top 50 players in the comp then there's probably some major issues with it. In an open redraft of all players I doubt Bont is getting past 5, let alone in the 30s.

Disclaimer - I haven't seen the list so I'm being one of those annoying people who criticise something without even investigating it. But I'm fairly sure I'm on solid ground with this one.

Back