Opinion What to do if we finish last

What should we do with the no 1 pick

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think draft Aish tbh. There's no midfielders worth a pick 1 on the market. The other idea could be 1 for Adams and 2 and upgrade the Giants picks

I don't want another skinny kid, I want senior bodies.

I suspect Adams will end up at Hawthorn if they want him, which they should as replacement for Mitchell/Sewell/Lewis.

I don't want another skinny kid, I want senior bodies.

I suspect Adams will end up at Hawthorn if they want him, which they should as replacement for Mitchell/Sewell/Lewis.

Sure, but if we end up using pick 2 - we should take the mid who'll become the best player regardless of size.

Aish will have played two seasons of SANFL footy averaging over 20 disposals by the end of this year in all likelihood.

Sure, but if we end up using pick 2 - we should take the mid who'll become the best player regardless of size.

Aish will have played two seasons of SANFL footy averaging over 20 disposals by the end of this year in all likelihood.

Yeah I agree, but IMO first we should push as hard as we can to trade for established midfield talent.

GWS aren't going to win another game, and even if they do, there is no guarantee they will finish above us with percentage.

Established midfield stars almost never get traded. I just cant imagine any situation that we get one with pick 2. Certainly not one that is worth pick 2 anyway.

I think we would look to trade one of the early picks we have if we get the PP.

That said, you don't trade them just for the sake of trading & bringing in mids. It needs to be a win win for both clubs.

To those wanting to trade the early picks for Thomas must have forgotten he is a FA.

I want some quality mids like every Melbourne supporter but not at any cost. It must be beneficial both in the long & short term. We don't want to find ourselves passing up a Buddy Franklin & getting a few average foot soldiers!

Unless there's a deal that better suits us, I'd suggest we take Boyd if given the chance. Like Punchy said, you'd hate to pass up on the possibility of a 'buddy franklin' type player. Boyd and Hogan could work. But if Watts stays, I learn toward trading. I'd like to see Watts remain in the forward half of the ground. Watts/Dawes/Clark/Howe/Hogan.

I think people are getting free agency mixed up with trading. Everyone is on the trade table for the right deal.

If P1 goes on the table, giving the first non-expansion side (or Melbourne) a crack at it in 6 years is a massive incentive. Particularly when there is a potentially dominant KPF up for grabs, a type that is in very short supply in this draft pool and in very high demand from a number of clubs!

I don't care we're we come, we should trade our first 2 draft selections. Give the dogs Pick 2 and 20 for Ryan Griffen and Liam Picken for all I care, just get some payers into this club that play football as best as they can. Not some football golden child who has only proven he can dominate against a pack of scrawny kids.

Yep with a PP we trade it to the highest bidder get a dal santo (type), go after Sewell and Daisy as free agents and convince Adams to walk into the PSD.

Add those 4 players to our midfield, plus P3 and Hogan, the natural progression of Viney and Toumpas and a fit Mitch Clark and suddenly its a top 8 side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would prefer to take players in the draft, BUT GET IT ******* RIGHT FOR ONCE. Jason Taylor did a good job for Collingwood and will hopefully do the same for us.

Pre-season under a new coach and things can turn around quickly. Clark + Hogan inclusions = already a better side. Viney will hopefully play all season. Full preseasons for most of the list, fingers crossed (Trengove most crucially).

Port Adelaide had heaps of young talent (like we do, believe it or not) last year but were absolutely terrible, now look at them. All they added were Monfries, a couple of state players and kids to their list.

If we took GWS out of the comp, i believe we would have received the spoon 2 years running . Boy am I glad that they are in the comp.

However, We will retain the title , yet again, of being the worst Victorian team in the competition. I think , in reality, we have had that title for 5 years running now.
Honestly, I can't think of any other Vic team being worse than us for the past 5 years. in fact, when we look at results, it may stretch even further than that.

I reckon Collingwood would do pick 2 for Sidebottom.
Collingwood don't even like to part with the players they don't use. No way they're going to part with one of their best. Eddie's out there somewhere on the blood pressure tablets reading this! lol

For those of you wanting to draft Aish - the reports I've read suggest he is best suited on the wing or HBF. If we're drafting on a needs basis, I don't know whether this is what we need (more) at the moment.

I don't care we're we come, we should trade our first 2 draft selections. Give the dogs Pick 2 and 20 for Ryan Griffen and Liam Picken for all I care, just get some payers into this club that play football as best as they can. Not some football golden child who has only proven he can dominate against a pack of scrawny kids.

Wtf? Trading for Griffen would be stupid.

Griffen is 27 now, how many more seasons do you think he has left as an A-grade footballer? 2-3? We'd be stupid trading Pick 2 for 2-3 years of A-grade football when we're not premiership contenders during that time.

Picken is a nothing footballer that is now 27 as well.

For those of you wanting to draft Aish - the reports I've read suggest he is best suited on the wing or HBF. If we're drafting on a needs basis, I don't know whether this is what we need (more) at the moment.

In his first couple of years, I'd say he'd be a winger for sure.

He's got a great ability to find space, and has a good inside game for someone his size - it will continue to improve.

See him as an inside/outside player.

In his first couple of years, I'd say he'd be a winger for sure.

He's got a great ability to find space, and has a good inside game for someone his size - it will continue to improve.

See him as an inside/outside player.

Who do you see as a comparable player (young or old) in the AFL atm?

Who do you see as a comparable player (young or old) in the AFL atm?

Hmm, similar to Trent Cotchin - Cotch has really improved his inside game in a physical sense, but he more uses his ability to find space and reading of a tap rather then brute strength in a clearance situation.

Aish is similar, more penetration to his kicking and maybe a bit quicker - less developed physically and with a lesser clearance ability in terms of physicality.

Aish would be a lot more built up if not for his shoulder injuries.

I'm not a huge fan of comparisons though, Aish is Aish.

Cotchin is Cotchin.

Comparisons don't really get you very far.

Collingwood don't even like to part with the players they don't use. No way they're going to part with one of their best. Eddie's out there somewhere on the blood pressure tablets reading this! lol

Chris Dawes , wellingham , Scotland , Anthony, Fraser etc , every club has a price

Back