• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Has gone backwards this year at a pretty rapid pace, personally I think he needs a spell at Sandy where he should be played in the guts.
We have been told time and time again he will develop into a midfielder and it’s just not happening. With our rebuild completely off track some big calls need to be made at the end of this year and JB is one of the few players who would have some currency.
So what’s everyone’s thoughts? Do we look at trading him and forego the years we have put into him or back him in to get back to how he was progressing last year?
Again in my personal opinion, the kid obviously has a dick load of ability, even for a soft campaigner and I want nothing more than him to turn into the Robbie Gray match winner we’ve seen a few times. But if the price was right (top 10 pick) I wouldn’t be against trading him.
It’s a tough one as we are all extremely frustrated with him because we can all see the talent.

Has gone backwards this year at a pretty rapid pace, personally I think he needs a spell at Sandy where he should be played in the guts.
We have been told time and time again he will develop into a midfielder and it’s just not happening. With our rebuild completely off track some big calls need to be made at the end of this year and JB is one of the few players who would have some currency.
So what’s everyone’s thoughts? Do we look at trading him and forego the years we have put into him or back him in to get back to how he was progressing last year?
Again in my personal opinion, the kid obviously has a dick load of ability, even for a soft campaigner and I want nothing more than him to turn into the Robbie Gray match winner we’ve seen a few times. But if the price was right (top 10 pick) I wouldn’t be against trading him.
It’s a tough one as we are all extremely frustrated with him because we can all see the talent.
wing or bust. his passes i50 are sublime. that phillips>billings>membrey passage against freo was double take material

I was happier with his performance against Freo than his performances in recent weeks.

His stats may not show the improvement, but there was real endeavour and effort.

wing or bust. his passes i50 are sublime. that phillips>billings>membrey passage against freo was double take material

First off, this thread didnt need to be made. If you want to trade a player, stick to the existing place where trades are discussed. No need to single someone out.

Second, you don't trade out someone as talented as Jack Billings because the odds we get back what he is worth is minimal. He is having a tough year, but he is much better than how he is playing and we have seen that in multiple games. We want to get better, and trading out our most talented player won't make us better.

First off, this thread didnt need to be made. If you want to trade a player, stick to the existing place where trades are discussed. No need to single someone out.

Second, you don't trade out someone as talented as Jack Billings because the odds we get back what he is worth is minimal. He is having a tough year, but he is much better than how he is playing and we have seen that in multiple games. We want to get better, and trading out our most talented player won't make us better.
The thread didn't need to be made but then you post in it?

I was happier with his performance against Freo than his performances in recent weeks.

His stats may not show the improvement, but there was real endeavour and effort.
He is covering a lot of the ground so looks like the effort is somewhat still there. Hasn't improved his contested game at all but we don't really need him to be that player. I wonder what the reason is for his form regressing so much.

I'd be extremely reluctant to let him go.....you just don't loose your ability and skills.

We've all seen what he can do at times and given our absolutely dire situation right now, you don't let go your skilled players.

Skill is something we need in absolute spades right now.

Best kick in our team.
Best/quickest handball.
One of the smartest footballers we have.

Yep lets trade... lol.

Bad yips kicking for goal, but who in RWB doesnt right now?

campaigners put too much pressure on this kid.
He hasnt even been that bad this year.
And was excellent last year.
If our team ever pulls its s**t together he is brownlow/norm material.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i enjoy more specific threads

I wonder what the reason is for his form regressing so much.
joop....that's the question that I've been asking about so many of our players.....

It's mind blowing how so many have dropped off the pace....or perceived pace.

Best kick in our team.
Best/quickest handball.
One of the smartest footballers we have.

Yep lets trade... lol.

Bad yips kicking for goal, but who in RWB doesnt right now?

campaigners put too much pressure on this kid.
He hasnt even been that bad this year.
And was excellent last year.
If our team ever pulls its s**t together he is brownlow/norm material.
It's currently 8-0 keep so no one is saying trade, I would refer to keep him but if the price was right I wouldn't be against it. As triggering bro said earlier I think he would go better under a new coach. But i will disagree with you on his performances this year, i think he has been that bad, but he does have a lot of mates.

joop....that's the question that I've been asking about so many of our players.....

It's mind blowing how so many have dropped off the pace....or perceived pace.
It's definitely not uncommon for a couple of players to drop off, but its pretty much the whole list. Who has improved? Long? I guess you could argue Paddy to some extent. Webster probably has. Then you have Dunstan, Steven, Carlisle who have all maintained their output but everyone else has gone backwards.

Jacks form is symptomatic of of the whole teams performance this year. When we lifted in Q3 last night up bobbed Jack and featured heavily. We are all hoping for Jack to be the hero to lead us onwards and upwards, I think if we start as a team to gain more consistency then his performances will lift accordingly.

He is judged by a lot of people (me included) because we have seen that his best football is top shelf and when he can't reproduce it we all complain of his deficiencies. As far as trading him out then that would be very shortsighted.

The thread didn't need to be made but then you post in it?

Actually I appreciated his input, joop.

Our club is going through a crisis, possibly an existential crisis where membership is plummeting, attendances are down and long suffering fans are losing faith in the process.

There are threads being opened which evidence the level of despair being felt. Threads calling for the Coach to be sacked. Threads showing pain and heartache, where we have lost our path.

As moderators we make choices in drawing a line as to what we allow, how many threads we want on a topic, how many similar threads we should allow before the board becomes unreadable, or depressing.

I want the input of our posters to help guide us to make this place be what it needs to be.

Our club is going through a crisis, possibly an existential crisis where membership is plummeting, attendances are down and long suffering fans are losing faith in the process.

There are threads being opened which evidence the level of despair being felt. Threads calling for the Coach to be sacked. Threads showing pain and heartache, where we have lost our path.

As moderators we make choices in drawing a line as to what we allow, how many threads we want on a topic, how many similar threads we should allow before the board becomes unreadable, or depressing.

I want the input of our posters to help guide us to make this place be what it needs to be.
maybe you should just let the posters decide.. if a thread is no good it naturally falls away.

More specific threads are good because it keeps the conversation on topic. This place has a tendency (to put it very very lightly) to be a bit all over the place. If people don't want to read the thread, they have a great mechanism at their disposal. What you do is get your mouse cursor, identify where on the page the thread is located, and proceed to avoid clicking on said thread. It's complicated for some people, but I believe if we put our minds to it we'll be surprised at what we can achieve!!

This thread is not insulting or being unfair to jack billings.

Jack billings was a pick 3. We've invested a LOT into him. He hasn't come on like we'd hoped. He still has currency. Luke ball going to collingwood cost us a grand final - in the grand scheme of things jack billings could have as large as an effect on our future. He will have even less currency if he performs the same next year, hence the urgency for this conversation now (like we have any say over what happens, but if that's the requirement to post a thread we might as well shut big footy down).

I voted to keep, don't think he's worth trading, but the thread is still relevant and enjoyable to read

Sorry but I didn’t question his input. I thought my opening post made it clear why I thought it was worthy of its own thread, a player with currency who has dropped off. I started the thread with the intention of seeing people have healthy discussions of both sides of the argument, not to come in and say it’s not threadworthy.

what would we get for him right now?

if we could get say a pick 15 for him, and then later this year see what that looks like re the draft (or now if there are any mock drafts yet), there's a chance i'd go trade

Back