List Mgmt. What to do with McCartin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we need to sink the boots in to our young players after a poor game (in which they spent a large proportion of the game off the ground injured)? Paddy has been ok the last few weeks and building - just don't really see the need of this thread.

At one stage it looked like his career may actually be over today so really it's actually pretty distasteful.

I'm rapt he's ok - hopefully a big breakout game coming for him soon.

We officially have the worst supporters in the league, how depressing. He's been improving every week this year, what more can you really ask for? He was beaten by a solid Melbourne team defence and copped a number of knocks today, one of which looked like it would end his afternoon. Same case as Billings in the sense that I feel like people here wait for him to have a s**t game so they can pot him or question his selection with the high pick.

People dont have to wait too long for Billings to have a poor game. They dont have to wait at all.
He has kicked 54.80 from 71 games as a permanent fwd so far in his 5 year AFL career on very good coin.

Paddy is 22 years old and obviously not AFL fit.

How long are you going to give them?

We officially have the worst supporters in the league, how depressing. He's been improving every week this year, what more can you really ask for? He was beaten by a solid Melbourne team defence and copped a number of knocks today, one of which looked like it would end his afternoon. Same case as Billings in the sense that I feel like people here wait for him to have a s**t game so they can pot him or question his selection with the high pick.
mate he's not looking great. I say give him until 50 games, and then reassess. But the problem with paddy is that while other players may be out of form they can still provide defensive pressure, if paddy's not kicking goals or taking marks he's a liability. Also he needs to get serious, he's a fourth? year player. He had a chance tonight to start us off on a really good foot by slotting the first goal from a relatively easy spot and missed it. I feel we're too soft with our players in general. Before this year I'd have said that's a good thing, but given what we've dished up so far, maybe we need to be just a little bit harder.

He has been really good the last few weeks. Finally showing why he was a top pick and looking like he will be a good player. No riewoldt but a good player. I hope he is ok after today and if he is keep persisting with him. He will be very important for us

Unfortunately he has never been really good. He has kicked 3 goals once. Our whole game is no good but paddy is just an ordinary player. He is obvious trade if you could get a top 15 pick. No way he gets that though. Our side is in more trouble than just about any other side in the afl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has been really good the last few weeks. Finally showing why he was a top pick and looking like he will be a good player. No riewoldt but a good player. I hope he is ok after today and if he is keep persisting with him. He will be very important for us
He keeps putting his head in a stupid position . He wasn’t in he contest then head goes forward into he oncoming Melb guy . He’s reckless

Ban him from sinking cans mid week with his misso’s dad.... “BILL BROWNLESS”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS. I knew I would come home and someone would start a thread like this.

Rd 1 – Scored 1.0, 3 marks, 24 SC
Rd 2 – Scored 0.2, 4 marks, 46 SC
Rd 3 – Scored 0.1, 6 marks, 47 SC
Rd 4 – Scored 1.2, 6 marks, 57 SC
Rd 5 – Scored 3.1, 4 marks, 67 SC
Rd 6 – Scored 1.0, 7 marks, 60 SC
Rd 7 – Scored 0.2, 3 marks, 31 SC (46% TOG - concussion sub)

Played 29 games total (with at least 5 incomplete due to injury). First time has played more than 5 in a row is this year, and he is currently receiving the worst I50 delivery in the league.

If people are determined to see that he (like any KPP) will improve with game time and confidence, then sometimes there is no point arguing with a brick wall!!

How do you define 'really good'?

He is 22.

Seems people have really lowered the bar to accommodate Paddy.

It is true, thats why he was off for so long in the 2nd quarter. He came back on and got the head knock. Reported it on SEN too.
He copped what looked like a head knock in the 2nd quarter - was flat on the ground after it happened. Got up and then a few minutes later went off.
He was cleared at half time to come back one.
In the 3rd, he got crunched between 3 Melbourne players, which looked less of a head knock and more of a face knock. He kept playing for a while but the trainers did need to go out and clean his face a few times.
He did not come on in the 4th quarter.

Played 29 games total (with at least 5 incomplete due to injury). First time has played more than 5 in a row is this year, and he is currently receiving the worst I50 delivery in the league.

If people cant see he will improve with game time and confidence then there is no point arguing with the Muppets!!
If you cant see the obvious flaws in his game it is you who is the muppett.
He isnt fit and his style of play is not suited to the modern game.
On top of that he is a poor set shot for goal. A characteristic that is crucial for players of his type.

If people are determined to see that he (like any KPP) will improve with game time and confidence, then sometimes there is no point arguing!!

So what is a good forward these days. If you can’t defend you to have some other skills. Yet to see any above being an average forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He copped what looked like a head knock in the 2nd quarter - was flat on the ground after it happened. Got up and then a few minutes later went off.
He was cleared at half time to come back one.
In the 3rd, he got crunched between 3 Melbourne players, which looked less of a head knock and more of a face knock. He kept playing for a while but the trainers did need to go out and clean his face a few times.
He did not come on in the 4th quarter.
The reason he hurts his head a lot is because he lacks awareness at the contest, lacks agility and has poor technique.
He might get better but he has a hell of a lot of things to work on.

Is it true he spent half a quarter off the ground to check his blood sugar levels and then finished the game early because of it? It's obviously unfortunate for McCartin to have diabetes, but ultimately things like that mess with your structure and rotations.

Also saw him get another head knock...seems a bit like Kozi back in the day where maybe at times he's a little cumbersome and doesn't get in the right position he should to protect himself.

No, it's not true.

It is true, thats why he was off for so long in the 2nd quarter. He came back on and got the head knock. Reported it on SEN too.
Just to add to this, Richo said in his press conference that when Paddy came off his bloody sugar levels were high so he had to sit out longer and wait for it to get better.

Sorry to intrude but the kid is finally getting some game time and I think it’s worth persevering with him for at least this season. He had a bad one today granted, not helped by the head knock, but he’s been better so far this year. He’s a bit like Weidemann for us, hasn’t set the world on fire yet but is improving and getting his body right. Just needs some confidence and a bit more experience and he’l be fine, just look at Brayshaw today he’s had similar concussion issues and worked through them to get back into good form.

By way of illustration, I have just picked out some young fwds at random and how many goals they have kicked so far this season for comparison and so people can have some perspective.

Hogan - 17
Castagna - 13
Stewart - 13
Hayward - 11
Gowers - 10
Curnow - 10
Stephenson - 10
[McCartin 6]

n.b. De Goey already has 8 and was banned for the first 4 games.

Just to add to this, Richo said in his press conference that when Paddy came off his bloody sugar levels were high so he had to sit out longer and wait for it to get better.

Still untrue though.

You sit out to get them to acceptable levels, he was retired because of other reasons not related to his sugar levels.

It's always the same sort of discussion when Paddy goes off the ground "oh he's stuffed because he's diabetic" "oh he's stuffed because his noggins not hard" and they literally watched as a bloke drove a knee into his back with force as he crashed to Earth.

Lazy journalism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back