List Mgmt. What to do with McCartin?

Remove this Banner Ad

As you could tell from earlier post, I’m all for trading him now. This cycle of play a few games, cop a concussion, have weeks off, come back, cop a soft tissue injury, have weeks off, come back, cop a concussion. Rinse. Repeat. I really feel the best thing for him to be would be to request a trade & start fresh somewhere else.

At this stage I’d even consider trading him & one of our 4th rounders to Hawks for Tim O’Brien & their 2nd or something like that.

Anyways, hope he recovers quickly. He’s a great kid

Its better he hurt it now than day one of preseason.

tbh i dont think it matters when you injure the lisfranc. its not an injury you want to get. they're just so hard and tricky to rehab

what would be the difference if he got it in pre-season? he's already missed quite a few games.

tbh i dont think it matters when you injure the lisfranc. its not an injury you want to get. they're just so hard and tricky to rehab

what would be the difference if he got it in pre-season? he's already missed quite a few games.
The biggest knock on him is his lack of a tank, and tanks are built up n the pre season. If we injured during that period, but would be set back for the whole of next year. But atleast he has the opportunity to get his foot 100% before training for next season starts.

Paddy's injury is still on the minor side when it comes to lisfranc injuries, so its not that big of a worry in the grand scheme of things. They are still aiming for him to train next week but just won't rush him back because we are not in finals contention.

The biggest knock on him is his lack of a tank, and tanks are built up n the pre season. If we injured during that period, but would be set back for the whole of next year. But atleast he has the opportunity to get his foot 100% before training for next season starts.

Paddy's injury is still on the minor side when it comes to lisfranc injuries, so its not that big of a worry in the grand scheme of things. They are still aiming for him to train next week but just won't rush him back because we are not in finals contention.

that's a fair argument. lets hope its just a week. although my gut tells me this could be a repeating cycle of "he's not ready this week, should be good next week"

Nah the biggest knock on him is that he's paid to catch and kick a ball and he's poor at both. People would be patient about his tank and injuries if he showed some ability other than being a good mover. Nobody has had more time to practice set shot goalkicking than Paddy has to this point. He never looks likely and his bloopers rival Bruce's best efforts.

Just having a look at Geelong. They need to use 2 first round picks in the draft this year or they lose their first round pick next year.

They won’t take McCartin this year if anyone was thinking of trading him off to them for a first.

Those that believe he’s not worth a first, I personally believe his growing potential & injury risk still rates him around a mid teens 1st round pick (14-18). And I’d take that in this draft.

Use pick 3/4 on a King. Use the Paddy pick on a mid
If he was at another club and we were thinking of trying to get him i bet you wouldn't give them pick 14-18 , or would you ? Well i sure wouldn't

I hope I am proved wrong on this, but I feel like the drafting of McCartin is a bit like texting while drunk.
"Seems like a good idea at the time but it's only later that you realize the full consequences of what you have done"
Seriously unlucky that boy!......He needs to hangs around the two Irish rookies more and hope that some of their luck rubs off on him, or wear a helmet made from rabbits' feet

If he was at another club and we were thinking of trying to get him i bet you wouldn't give them pick 14-18 , or would you ? Well i sure wouldn't
Considering key forwards peak between the age of 24-28, & he’s a previous #1 pick, I believe he’s worth it for sure - I probably reached a bit, more pick 18-20, than 13-17 though

I hate this Liz Frank beatch. She is injuring footy players left right and centre

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd agree but he had a massive preseason if you consider he took the last part of last season off and just did running to improve his tank. The result was not too much improvement this year.

I'm not sure "what to do with him." But there's an option there with battle and perhaps a high pick this year. If an offer comes I'd take it. As much as I want him to succeed.

As you could tell from earlier post, I’m all for trading him now. This cycle of play a few games, cop a concussion, have weeks off, come back, cop a soft tissue injury, have weeks off, come back, cop a concussion. Rinse. Repeat. I really feel the best thing for him to be would be to request a trade & start fresh somewhere else.

At this stage I’d even consider trading him & one of our 4th rounders to Hawks for Tim O’Brien & their 2nd or something like that.

Anyways, hope he recovers quickly. He’s a great kid
Tim o brien is deadset horrible id rather delist paddy then have that sack of s**t Ginger crab on our list

Paddy has a mild Lisfranc sprain. Very different to the Mitch Clark/Dane Swan Lisfranc dislocation +/- fracture. Paddy’s injury is no big deal. Most of these are just referred to as a mid foot sprain.

Paddy has a mild Lisfranc sprain. Very different to the Mitch Clark/Dane Swan Lisfranc dislocation +/- fracture. Paddy’s injury is no big deal. Most of these are just referred to as a mid foot sprain.

Saints key forward Paddy McCartin will not be rushed back to senior football as he recovers from a Lisfranc injury to his left foot.

The 2014 No. 1 draft pick could potentially return to senior football within a matter of weeks, but senior coach Alan Richardson today confirmed that the club is looking to take a more conservative approach.

"We're not going to rush him back and potentially risk injury given that we're not playing finals," Richardson said.

"These remaining games, they're really important to us. They're great opportunities for our team and for our club, and for the individuals within it, but we won't take a risk if we think there's any chance for further damage that would compromise his pre-season."

Richardson also confirmed that McCartin’s recovery has progressed slightly slower than initially anticipated, but he could return to training as early as next week.

"He's still in the boot. We were hoping that he might be out of that by now, but it's not far off what the doctors thought," Richardson said.

"It'll then depend on how he responds once he's putting complete weight on it.

"Lisfranc, that's a tricky injury, so we've just got to wait and see how he responds, but it's probably a little bit slower than we hoped."

Go Saints

Considering key forwards peak between the age of 24-28, & he’s a previous #1 pick, I believe he’s worth it for sure - I probably reached a bit, more pick 18-20, than 13-17 though
Agree the big boys take time but i think the fact that he was a No 1 pick doesn't mean anything anymore , You pay a million for a yearling at the sales and it cant run when its a 2 yo , its now worth $1500

Nah the biggest knock on him is that he's paid to catch and kick a ball and he's poor at both. People would be patient about his tank and injuries if he showed some ability other than being a good mover. Nobody has had more time to practice set shot goalkicking than Paddy has to this point. He never looks likely and his bloopers rival Bruce's best efforts.
I agree.. you can argue he never got good service from our mids and our forward set up are terrible.. but Riewoldt also had the football kicked on top of his head/over his head all of his career. The difference is Riewoldt has speed and a tank to out work and out run opponents, Paddy doesn't have any of those tricks. His one grab marking/leading is suppose to be his strength, unfortunately we have not seen that because our poor forward entries and his own injury issues/limitations. That's why many on here thinks Paddy is the wrong type of forward for our team, he will do better in Hawthorn or Geelong, where he has better support and better forward entries. We need forwards that are quick, versatile, has a tank and can tackle/pressure without the ball.. which Battle, Bruce, Membrey all tick those boxes.. Marshall has shown glimpse.. Like big boy mcevoy, i think the best thing for Paddy and the team is to trade him for a first round pick and start again.. We can use the first round pick for mids that we desperately need.

Sorry to butt in... but wanna gove some info re Sloane..

He had a very mild sprain too.. and hes 100% recovered.. watch to see if paddy is seen in the next couple of weeks wearing a moon boot.. if he doesnt then it is definately very mild sprain and he’ll be right..

Hopefully for you guys and paddy hes back soon.

Serious mixed messages flying around here...if he could be playing in a week or two and we still have six more weeks of footy then it's bizarre to call his season done now, especially when Bruce is out for the year.

If I had to put money on who is going to play the least amount of AFL games out of Paddy, Battle and Marshall right now my money would be on Paddy...considering the careers of Watts, Patton, Boyd and McCartin you've really got to wonder whether Lukoscius is a smart choice at pick 1 this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back