Txiki

Cancelled
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Paddy is a tricky one.

He clearly has limitations. I think he could become a serviceable player but that’s assuming he can reach a certain level of fitness and, more importantly, not suffer any concussions. Even if everything went right injury-wise, he’d still need to modify his game. You can tell that he has something, but how do we shape it into something that can help us win games of footy?

We may as well keep him because we aren’t getting much for him.

Saints17

Debutant
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hawks have missed out on Lynch offer Paddy for their 1st round pick and run

what makes you think they are as stupid as us?
Paddy is a tricky one.

He clearly has limitations. I think he could become a serviceable player but that’s assuming he can reach a certain level of fitness and, more importantly, not suffer any concussions. Even if everything went right injury-wise, he’d still need to modify his game. You can tell that he has something, but how do we shape it into something that can help us win games of footy?

We may as well keep him because we aren’t getting much for him.

that is a cop out. One of the up in coming forwards such as Josh Battle may not get opportunities. He pulls his weight and performs like all the others to get selected. Problem is the selection committee will always know is is a number one pick. It could be even worse if we draft a King at the draft this year.

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Club is pretty firm that McCartin is going nowhere and given nobody would offer anything decent for him so expect him to play for us next year.

I thought he had some okay games, in the GWS draw I thought we were quite exciting to watch and he have a pretty good account, contesting well. Hope we can see more of that McCartin next year.

Hope we can see more of that McCartin next year.

Considering we can’t play all the forwards we have at once I just hope that Paddy is picked to play on his merits and not just because he is pick 1.

I would like to see a lot more of Josh Battle and Roma and hopefully Bruce is back as well. Obviously playing Membrey is a no brainer.

Integrity of selection has to be more than just a catch phrase, as it was on plenty of occasions this season.

andolate

Senior List
Jan 29, 2010
moama
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think all of Mccartin , Bruce,Membrey ,battle and Roma can play together.

F:. Membrey .Paddy .Lonie
Hi: battle: Bruce . Gresh

The key is Paddy has to stay high up the old fashioned eay. I would love to see him at all times no further out than the 50 line. Time for a stay at home forward so there is someone to kick to from a turnover. Having Paddy in takes the biggest tall and allows Bruce and Membrey to flourish. In turn battle won't be earmarked and has a chance to establish.

This is only going to work if we get hanners and another mid elite to reform the midfield
T

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I think all of Mccartin , Bruce,Membrey ,battle and Roma can play together.

F:. Membrey .Paddy .Lonie
Hi: battle: Bruce . Gresh

The key is Paddy has to stay high up the old fashioned eay. I would love to see him at all times no further out than the 50 line. Time for a stay at home forward so there is someone to kick to from a turnover. Having Paddy in takes the biggest tall and allows Bruce and Membrey to flourish. In turn battle won't be earmarked and has a chance to establish.

This is only going to work if we get hanners and another mid elite to reform the midfield
T
Where is Marshall playing.

Shelby

Debutant
May 26, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Really. Based on what? With his lack of pressure I reckon he starts a goal or two behind before he gets out there. I wish I could see what you obviously see

Bruce has had very serious injuries - depends how he comes back - will he get back to 2017 form let alone his best a couple of years before that?
Battle - I would have Paddy ahead of him at present
Marshall - I would have him in as 2nd ruck/forward.

Paddy leads very well - if they could kick it to him even half efficiently, he would be much more effective.If Bruce comes back really firing maybe he gets the nod.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Ruck / fwd with a tall on the bench resting .

Im probably one too many talls in the team . Nothing wrong with one of them playing at Sandy to prove themselves
A tall resting on the bench does limit your rotations though. I would play Marshall membery and battle. Bruce and paddy can play at sandy. Won’t happen though. Think they will continue to play paddy

Webster - Austin - Geary
Roberton - Carlisle - McKenzie
Acres - Ross - Billings
Gresham - Membrey - Savage
Long - McCartin - Marshall
Pierce - Steven - Hannebery
Steele - Sinclair - Clark - Battle

Bruce coming back from a pretty significant injury. Should prove his fitness again before he gets a game in front of Marshall/McCartin.

Battle I think is an interesting option. With his fitness and footy smarts I think he could develop into a really top line wingman ala Roo or Matty Richardson. Think Justin Westhoff, pinch hitting all over the park as needed.

I know I went off about rafting Max King with the explosion of Cox on Friday night but let's also remember that he had one of the most elite midfields in the game kicking to him. When putting this team together I found it really hard to load up our midfield.

Smith & Rankine looking more and more appealing BUT I think I would also be tempted to move pick 4 to the Crows for 7 & 12 if it was on offer. Grabbing one of Hateley/Hill with Stocker/Duursma/Jones/RCD feels like it would accelerate things.

Last edited:
If Paddy wasn't pick 1, would he be playing senior footy?

Answer that and you have your answer.

I wasn’t unhappy that last season he was given a chance to put some games together to see exactly how he was going - although it probably didn’t help him too much that as a team we were so abysmal, however I really think he has to earn his spot this season. I hope he can do it, but we need to get games into Battle and Roma as well.
No games should be gifted this year at all.

Last edited:

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Webster - Austin - Geary
Roberton - Carlisle - McKenzie
Acres - Ross - Billings
Gresham - Membrey - Savage
Long - McCartin - Marshall
Pierce - Steven - Hannebery
Steele - Sinclair - Clark - Battle

Bruce coming back from a pretty significant injury. Should prove his fitness again before he gets a game in front of Marshall/McCartin.

Battle I think is an interesting option. With his fitness and fotty smarts I think he could develop into a really top line wingman ala Roo or Matty Richardson. Think Justin Westhoff, pinch hitting all over the park as needed.

I know I went off about rafting Max King with the explosion of Cox on Friday night but let's also remember that he had one of the most elite midfields in the game kicking to him. When putting this team together I found it really hard to load up our midfield.

Smith & Rankine looking more and more appealing BUT I think I would also be tempted to move pick 4 to the Crows for 7 & 12 if it was on offer. Grabbing one of Hateley/Hill with Stocker/Duursma/Jones/RCD feels like it would accelerate things.
Whomever we draft. Preferably keeping pick 4. It just simply has to be mids mids mids!
Though i concede should we snag Shiel the options could change!

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I wasn’t unhappy that last year he was given a chance to put some games together to see exactly how he was going - although it probably didn’t help him too much that at a team we were so abysmal, however I really think he has to earn his spot this season. I hope he can do it, but we need to get games into Battle and Roma as well.
No games should be gifted this year at all.
If fit he'll earn games on his own merit!
That i have no doubt on. Its more the general set up of our forward line!
The silver lining is it's healthy to have some ( potential ) quality options!

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’ve been going back and watching some early season games and I’m going to back in 100% the two marking forward line.

Not sure on the paddy vs Bruce argument, don’t think paddy is as bad as some think. Our midfield just got slaughtered in my eyes. Both Bruce and Paddy were poor statistically early in the season.

What I wanted to add was Ben Longs leading up the ground (particularly the corridor) was impressive at times. This made me think about the role of the HFF and that being a leading target up the ground doesn’t require you to be a taller marking type. Speed and having good kicks from the back half is probably more important I guess. Rankin and Long can provide that link, then having two pronged leading forward line to kick to.

So here is my forward line....

Ranking Membry Long
Gresh PMac/Bruce Lonie/(resting mid)

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
A tall resting on the bench does limit your rotations though. I would play Marshall membery and battle. Bruce and paddy can play at sandy. Won’t happen though. Think they will continue to play paddy
Was thinking that too, but Marshall will go into Ruck when ruckmen is on the bench and every time they kick a goal the forwards generally get a spell. We can be very difficult to match up on when we have Members and 2 talls eg: v demons once we brought Paddy on 10mins into the first, we kicked 3 goals very quickly. also would really like seeing Battle pinch hit in the middle & wing. Bruce can help out down back if one of the key backs need rest. Paddy and Members are the only 2 you would really want to stay in their position - so may not be too bad to play them all. + you could play Marshall as the sole ruck

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Was thinking that too, but Marshall will go into Ruck when ruckmen is on the bench and every time they kick a goal the forwards generally get a spell. We can be very difficult to match up on when we have Members and 2 talls eg: v demons once we brought Paddy on 10mins into the first, we kicked 3 goals very quickly. also would really like seeing Battle pinch hit in the middle & wing. Bruce can help out down back if one of the key backs need rest. Paddy and Members are the only 2 you would really want to stay in their position - so may not be too bad to play them all. + you could play Marshall as the sole ruck

I think we have different ideas about how we should play the game now. And that's fine.

Back