List Mgmt. What to do with McCartin?

Remove this Banner Ad

All the best for Paddy, not sure if drafting Max will take the pressure off of him, or put more on. He's had to deal with external noise his whole career, he probably used to it. Fact is he's another player in the squad, he's not an obvious starter at this point, but like anyother player there's a spot there if he proves himself to be the man for the job.

Easy to lose weight in the off season as you don’t have to eat as much to recover, once you start upping the intensity, paddy will put the weight back on...good luck to him but I don’t see any exceptional talent there anyway to carry some body fat...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well more what I’ve heard is that he can control his levels in pre season training. Making sure he isn’t forced into a low/high where he may need to medicate.

In games/week he finds it harder as he can’t really pull out too much.

Felt like we said last year was make or break but it’ll be somewhat of an external expectation again.

I wish someone could explain why we said McCartin was off the trade table when the club obviously knew they were nearly certain to get king. I cannot see how McCartin plays next season unless he plays as a back. Yes I know king won’t play much next season but Bruce is back and we already have battle membery and Marshall. Our trade period confuses me.

I wish someone could explain why we said McCartin was off the trade table when the club obviously knew they were nearly certain to get king. I cannot see how McCartin plays next season unless he plays as a back. Yes I know king won’t play much next season but Bruce is back and we already have battle membery and Marshall. Our trade period confuses me.
Maybe no one wanted him?

And there was no guarantee that we'd take Max.

If he is good enough he plays.

As long as he isn't gifted games, I'm cool with him developing at Sandy.

Maybe no one wanted him?

And there was no guarantee that we'd take Max.

If he is good enough he plays.

As long as he isn't gifted games, I'm cool with him developing at Sandy.
Well maybe no one did but we actually said he was off the table. Of course that could be a lie but why say it at all. They didn’t say it for another forward. Let’s face it that it seems the club were taking king bar another club taking him. Even without king we have to many forwards so all should have been on the trade table. And he certainly is past being gifted games but unfortunately he should also be past development in the vfl

I don't get the negativity here. We're stacked with what looks like some very good up and coming forwards, also Biggie coming next year, and each of them offers a good point of difference from the others.
Paddy looks proper fit for the first time, AND we might have some better f50 entries with better coaching. We don't need to spend anything on tall forwards for 5 years now, and someone will get squeezed out soon for a half decent trade. It's the one strength on our list ffs! I'm stoked. Can't see a down side tbh..

I don't get the negativity here. We're stacked with what looks like some very good up and coming forwards, also Biggie coming next year, and each of them offers a good point of difference from the others.
Paddy looks proper fit for the first time, AND we might have some better f50 entries with better coaching. We don't need to spend anything on tall forwards for 5 years now, and someone will get squeezed out soon for a half decent trade. It's the one strength on our list ffs! I'm stoked. Can't see a down side tbh..
Yes the numbers are a strength. The quality isn’t a strength yet and the worst part is only 2 or 3 can play so the only side benefiting is sandy. We now have king and that’s fine if he becomes a star but we should have put all talls on the trade table. The club said paddy wasn’t on the trade table. Madness if they are telling the truth

And you probably would have the same last year about not spending on talls for 5 years yet guess what we did this year. Got a tall

Yes the numbers are a strength. The quality isn’t a strength yet and the worst part is only 2 or 3 can play so the only side benefiting is sandy. We now have king and that’s fine if he becomes a star but we should have put all talls on the trade table. The club said paddy wasn’t on the trade table. Madness if they are telling the truth

And you probably would have said the same last year about not spending on talls for 5 years yet guess what we did this year. Got a tall
I disagree about lack of quality. Paddy, Skunk, Battle and King are all quality, and Brucy is the honest trier. Lets just see what comes with better coaching before we wright blokes off.
And yes, no one thought we'd get another forward but as they keep saying, you draft for talent first, so that meant Max apparently. So long as the other picks are used appropriately there's nothing to argue about the selection imo.

I disagree about lack of quality. Paddy, Skunk, Battle and King are all quality, and Brucy is the honest trier. Lets just see what comes with better coaching before we wright blokes off.
And yes, no one thought we'd get another forward but as they keep saying, you draft for talent first, so that meant Max apparently. So long as the other picks are used appropriately there's nothing to argue about the selection imo.

Well you can argue until they are successful or fail. Im wasnt on the getting another forward bandwagon and still aren't. The difference is now I want to be wrong. As for claiming those 4 as quality and then claiming Bruce is an honest trier well I would suggest there is no proven quality amongst all 5 as yet and the only 2 that are average or slightly better are Bruce and Membery. The rest are all hoping and one of those we are hoping for has done nothing in 4 years of footy.

Well obviously he needs to improve as a player and should seemingly have his body in the best condition yet.

It’s a constant debate but there’s room for three keys if Membrey is one. Marshall is a bit of a wildcard at this point, but McCartins the greater talent.

It would be disappointing for him if he doesn’t play round one, since King wont really be in the mix at the point anyway.

Well obviously he needs to improve as a player and should seemingly have his body in the best condition yet.

It’s a constant debate but there’s room for three keys if Membrey is one. Marshall is a bit of a wildcard at this point, but McCartins the greater talent.

It would be disappointing for him if he doesn’t play round one, since King wont really be in the mix at the point anyway.

I hope he plays round one because of form and no other reason. I still rate Battle, Bruce, Marshall and membery ahead of what ive seen because I don't rate one position players is todays footy unless they are stars. I want him to become a star. I want them all to become stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are tou a physiologist? Or an endocrinologist? Do you have any expertise on the subject? It's actually not nonsense btw, physical contact has a strong correlation with fluctuating blood sugar levels in diabetics.

And that is why they take medication and test themselves all the time. Shouldn't effect the footy because of those reasons.

Because 5 key forwards is already enough without adding a sixth and the last successful key forward picked in the top 5 was Josh J Kennedy in 2005, unless you count Watts semi successful revival as a half back flanker. And we still need midfielders.

Nothing against him, but watch his highlights from his draft year and compare them Max's small sample size this year. ACL or not Max looks to offer much more versatility and Star Factor.

If both of them work out then it's a nice looking forward line, but Paddy may need push up the ground more. I think his best game was when he played between the arcs, he took 10 grabs and sent the ball inside 50.

Because 5 key forwards is already enough without adding a sixth and the last successful key forward picked in the top 5 was Josh J Kennedy in 2005, unless you count Watts semi successful revival as a half back flanker. And we still need midfielders.
But it just doesn't matter. So we have some players to trade out for more suitable players or better picks. It's money in the bank. Our list is far from complete, and we are going to finish outside the 8 again. It is what it is, posters being negative.

Correct me if I'm wrong or if this has been mentioned but wasn't Plugger a type 1 diabetic ? The same as Paddy ?
Plugger generally carried more excess than Paddy, had at least the same or more collisions (making it harder for a diabetic) but was still the greatest.
Maybe that's because he had more natural ability but I don't see why Paddy can't overcome the affliction and make his mark.
I'm thinking out loud here but is the modern game more demanding making it harder again for Paddy vs Plugger ?

Correct me if I'm wrong or if this has been mentioned but wasn't Plugger a type 1 diabetic ? The same as Paddy ?
Plugger generally carried more excess than Paddy, had at least the same or more collisions (making it harder for a diabetic) but was still the greatest.
Maybe that's because he had more natural ability but I don't see why Paddy can't overcome the affliction and make his mark.
I'm thinking out loud here but is the modern game more demanding making it harder again for Paddy vs Plugger ?
Nah Plugger wasn't a diabetic. His weight issues were all down to himself.

We may have a number of Key Forwards on our list at the moment, however who can you say is a genuine star? Paddy may have the talent but his body has let him down up until this point and can go either way. Membrey is the best of the lot at this point however is not really a tall forward. He is best suited as a third tall. I see Bruce at best as a second tall or decoy for the main key forward. Besides, realistically we won't see the best of Max King for 3 years at a minimum. By this time Bruce will be approaching 30. Battle and Marshall are still a work in progress.

I agree that the midfield is an area that needs to be bolstered, however how often do you see a mid become a star of the competition in their first year? Selwood would have to be the exception. While Smith, Rozee and Caldwell are very talented, King looks something special. Rare to have a forward who is a strong contested mark, quick and agile as well as clean below the knees. King could also pinch hit in the ruck and not throw us off structurally.

Realistically saints will have another early pick next year in a draft full of mids. Why not pick one up then?

We also have recently drafted Clark and Coffield as midfielders and Gresham and Billings will be spending more time in the midfield.

Games v goals

Year 1 - 6, 3
Year 2 - 11, 14
Year 3 - 5, 3
Year 4 - 13, 12

It’s ugly reading. Paddy can’t even go at 1 goal a game.

Paddy isn’t a long term player for us IMO. Like Tom Boyd, he’s a bust. It happens & we move on....which we have securing Max King!

Bruce is good coverage for the next 2-3 years while King develops. Membrey is solid & still young. Battle has a lot of potential. Paddy won’t be on our list in 24 months tops.

Games v goals

Year 1 - 6, 3
Year 2 - 11, 14
Year 3 - 5, 3
Year 4 - 13, 12

It’s ugly reading. Paddy can’t even go at 1 goal a game.

Paddy isn’t a long term player for us IMO. Like Tom Boyd, he’s a bust. It happens & we move on....which we have securing Max King!

Bruce is good coverage for the next 2-3 years while King develops. Membrey is solid & still young. Battle has a lot of potential. Paddy won’t be on our list in 24 months tops.

in an era where you are pretty much garunteed at worst a GOP player with pick 1, we found a way to go back to the 80s where you could pick a bust with pick 1. back when clubs didnt even watch the players and picked them on hear say.

think about that for a second. WE ****ed IT UP SO BAD WE HAVE BEEN OUTDONE BY CLUBS IN AN ERA WHERE THEY DIDNT EVEN WATCH THE PLAYERS.

paddy is an utter bust right now.

in an era where you are pretty much garunteed at worst a GOP player with pick 1, we found a way to go back to the 80s where you could pick a bust with pick 1. back when clubs didnt even watch the players and picked them on hear say.

think about that for a second. WE ****** IT UP SO BAD WE HAVE BEEN OUTDONE BY CLUBS IN AN ERA WHERE THEY DIDNT EVEN WATCH THE PLAYERS.

paddy is an utter bust right now.

We did stuff up & I suspect a few heads rolled as a result. Just need to move on & not allow the error to be compounded. No free ride for Paddy & he’s not to be selected to justify his pick 1 status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back