List Mgmt. What to do with McCartin?

From 45

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I believe the penny finally dropped for Paddy in regards to working harder at training and losing the weight. It was plain to see how much he improved in the JLT games in regards to the way he was moving across the ground ala Jack Reiwoldt ( especially his kicking style). It's just a shame that he has been dealt a cruel blow when things were finally clicking for him.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Too bad 4 and 7 was never offered.

From memory 4 & 7 was offered for 1 & 21. Fairly sure there was direct quotes from one of or even both parties.

If that trade had of happened we would’ve taken Wright & Weller according to Persevering Saint who saw our rankings on Finnes’ phone.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
From memory 4 & 7 was offered for 1 & 21. Fairly sure there was direct quotes from one of or even both parties.

If that trade had of happened we would’ve taken Wright & Weller according to Persevering Saint who saw our rankings on Finnes’ phone.
Yeah but sadly we'd have taken Nate Wright and Mav Weller.

I know it has nothing to do with Paddy - but they will always be linked. What is going on with Petracca? If we had taken him number 1 and he was playing for us like he is currently playing for Dees, the place would be up in arms. He looks worse with every season!

For me he's a classic tease player.

He has the build, big chested, built like a brick shithouse, has a tank, who wouldn't like him right?
He can find and use ball, he can kick goals.
But...
He can't shake a tag
He won't grab a game and demand victory
He will cry if things don't go his way
He will give up

They flutter and have moment of brilliance, but the majority of their play is standard bog average, their ceiling isn't large, but it's got intent, it has highlights and you watch, but they're easily forgotten.

I hate you. That's a sliding door that cuts your toes off and sprays lemon juice on the wound.

I believe the penny finally dropped for Paddy in regards to working harder at training and losing the weight. It was plain to see how much he improved in the JLT games in regards to the way he was moving across the ground ala Jack Reiwoldt ( especially his kicking style). It's just a shame that he has been dealt a cruel blow when things were finally clicking for him.

it wasnt that. it was purely because he was out of season. he self confessed to struggling to manage during the season proper.

so he'd get fit in the off-season then bang season comes around and ti falls apart

same thing happened in his draft year. he got ripped when he stopped playing

So the overwhelming majority wanted us to take a kpf.

I was on the 2MP wagon.

yeah basically how i re-call it is the overwhelming majority wanted and expected petracca. it was covered in the draft trade thread. it was a shock when new broke through twomey that we were going for paddy. of course when people accepted that news they were firmly behind paddy.

if we were going tall, people wanted Wright. just like you had identified.

i still do not understand why we did what we did. like i can't understand the reasoning or thought process and havent since it occurred.

one thing i learnt is us as supporters on here have a pretty good eye. lots of really good suggestions in there.

Technically, my phone incident happened in 2015, when we picked up Gresh and White. He showed me just before Round 3 when Brisbane picked Matho.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Technically, my phone incident happened in 2015, when we picked up Gresh and White. He showed me just before Round 3 when Brisbane picked Matho.

I’m not interested in minor technicalities that don’t suit my narrative.

Pretty sure our draft order for 2014 was in Emma Quayle’s book!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
yeah basically how i re-call it is the overwhelming majority wanted and expected petracca. it was covered in the draft trade thread. it was a shock when new broke through twomey that we were going for paddy. of course when people accepted that news they were firmly behind paddy.

if we were going tall, people wanted Wright. just like you had identified.

i still do not understand why we did what we did. like i can't understand the reasoning or thought process and havent since it occurred.

one thing i learnt is us as supporters on here have a pretty good eye. lots of really good suggestions in there.
Yes they have an excellent eye because 100 people mention 300 names. How would one person go with 4 names. They would fail and that’s how it should be because they see about 2 games a year. Easy for me to say I like de gory year but then I liked a failure the following 5 years.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras

5% overall points improvement for giving up Pick 1

How did our recruiters go with 4 names:
McCartin
Goddard
McKenzie
Lonie

Let's see hey....
Yes they have an excellent eye because 100 people mention 300 names. How would one person go with 4 names. They would fail and that’s how it should be because they see about 2 games a year. Easy for me to say I like de gory year but then I liked a failure the following 5 years.

No idea what that has to do with what I said. Just out of interest can you tell me who you liked that year if you remember. Obviously petracca was the only other option for pick one.

I can remember some were on to De Goey including Brian Speaking, Brayshaw was popular but considered a bit bland. I think a few had Rhys Mc Kenzie as a second rounder and he was retired after a very short period. I still think consensus on the forum probably would have a higher success rate than Trout did. Mc Cartin only became a popular choice once the club let everyone know we'd take him at pick 1. Most wanted Petracca.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
How did our recruiters go with 4 names:
McCartin
Goddard
McKenzie
Lonie

Let's see hey....
Why the Lonie hate still? He was pick 41 and he's outperformed everyone else we took in that draft except arguably Sinclair in the rookie draft. He's turned into a goal a game small forward capable of moving up the ground. He's really creative this year and sticks his tackles now. I've never been his biggest fan but gee give the kid a break he's made the most of what he's got.

IIRC, it was mostly Petracca, followed by Paddy with (as others mentioned) a bit of a shift towards the latter once word was out that he was the club’s choice.

I would say third most popular would’ve been Wright; if only for the fact that he was talked about as a better KPF than Paddy, if that’s the type of player the club wanted. A couple people floated De Goey, and Brayshaw (to a lesser extent). Can’t think of anyone else that was seriously discussed.

I can remember some were on to De Goey including Brian Speaking, Brayshaw was popular but considered a bit bland. I think a few had Rhys Mc Kenzie as a second rounder and he was retired after a very short period. I still think consensus on the forum probably would have a higher success rate than Trout did. Mc Cartin only became a popular choice once the club let everyone know we'd take him at pick 1. Most wanted Petracca.

I once, maybe a year ago made a random draft picker and compared it to what we actually picked AFTER round 1.. ( still have it somewhere)

I looked at Knightmare's list of players going into each draft.
I assigned each one a number... and ran a random number generator.
Then i went through the draft randomly picking players , but rolling again if the player was already gone by another team in the actual draft.
So totally dumb, just as likely to pick Jack Sinclair as a second rounder as Brad Crouch.

I did it over around 4 drafts, and my random picker gave me an arguably better list than we actually chose. ( at least equal ).
I repeated it and got the same result.

Yet we paid someone ....

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
I once, maybe a year ago made a random draft picker and compared it to what we actually picked AFTER round 1.. ( still have it somewhere)

I looked at Knightmare's list of players going into each draft.
I assigned each one a number... and ran a random number generator.
Then i went through the draft randomly picking players , but rolling again if the player was already gone by another team in the actual draft.
So totally dumb, just as likely to pick Jack Sinclair as a second rounder as Brad Crouch.

I did it over around 4 drafts, and my random picker gave me an arguably better list than we actually chose. ( at least equal ).
I repeated it and got the same result.

Yet we paid someone ....
Yes but your random picker did not apply the crucial back flanker bias so your argument is flawed.

#inb4plugga ;-)

Sheepey

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
We have been unlucky with his concussions, but we made our own luck with regards to his diabetes. To pick a diabetic with pick 1, you have to be absolutely confident that it would not affect his performance. I can't remember the article, but Richo was on record saying that the 2014 pick 1 had to be a star. Even he was slightly concerned about whether he could translate his football from juniors to seniors, but Elshaug reassured him otherwise.

Honestly, our medicos have had a pretty poor track record of recent times and I'm surprised more scrutiny hasn't been placed on them. They clearly provided inaccurate information to recruiters by failing to assess the severity of Paddy's diabetes, Freeman's hamstrings and now Hannebury's body (the club has been on record that they underestimated how big the damage was to the latter two). Despite rhetoric from the club claiming them the medicos to be the "best in the business", when combined with the delay on Carlisle's back surgery which saw his rehab delayed by many months, their actual performance leaves much to be desired.

Last edited:
We have been unlucky with his concussions, but we made our own luck with regards to his diabetes. To pick a diabetic with pick 1, you have to be absolutely confident that it would not affect his performance. I can't remember the article, but Richo was on record saying that the 2014 pick 1 had to be a star. Even he was slightly concerned about whether he could translate his football from juniors to seniors, but Elshaug reassured him otherwise.

Honestly, our medicos have had a pretty poor track record of recent times and I'm surprised more scrutiny hasn't been placed on them. They clearly provided inaccurate information to recruiters by failing to assess the severity of Paddy's diabetes, Freeman's hamstrings and now Hannebury's body (the club has been on record that they underestimated how big the damage was to the latter two). Despite rhetoric from the club claiming them the medicos to be the "best in the business", when combined with the delay on Carlisle's back surgery which saw his rehab delayed by many months, their actual performance leaves much to be desired.
So... Jack Bytel...?

Paddy diabetes
Freemans Hamstings
Hanneburys Body (Rebuild)
Kings Knee
Bytels Back

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
IIRC, it was mostly Petracca, followed by Paddy with (as others mentioned) a bit of a shift towards the latter once word was out that he was the club’s choice.

I would say third most popular would’ve been Wright; if only for the fact that he was talked about as a better KPF than Paddy, if that’s the type of player the club wanted. A couple people floated De Goey, and Brayshaw (to a lesser extent). Can’t think of anyone else that was seriously discussed.

Brayshaw had lots of admirers. Interesting that he's had problems with concussion as well. His advantage over Paddy in that regard? He's not a diabetic so he recovers more quickly and doesn't suffer symptoms to the same extent. Way to do your research, Trout.

Brayshaw had lots of admirers. Interesting that he's had problems with concussion as well. His advantage over Paddy in that regard? He's not a diabetic so he recovers more quickly and doesn't suffer symptoms to the same extent. Way to do your research, Trout.

As much as we like picking on old Trout, the medical team should cop some of the blame for this. Whilst a lot of the solid concussion evidence (which would've given some indication that diabetes in a contact sport isn't an ideal mix) has come out since Paddy's draft year, there should have been a stronger push against it from the general performance side of things. It's not as if Paddy was the standalone selection, such that the 'cons' associated with his diabetes were not sufficient enough to drag him back to the pack; this was always a close call and makes me wonder how involved the Medicos were (or if they were listened to).

Back