What to do with our returned Tassie games in 2025?

If we exit Tassie, what to do with those four home games?

• Play all four in Melbourne

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • Play two in Melbourne, two in a new market

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Take all four games to a new market

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Walshawk

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
OK, so this is not a thread to discuss the merits of the possible Tasmanian Devils, nor the likely-hood of it actually happening, nor when it might happen.

Simply, if we exit Tassie at the end of 2024, what would you like the club to do with those four home games?

1. Play all four in Melbourne - it would most likely be a 8/3 or 7/4 MCG/Marvel split. The club would need to allocate permanent seats/sections at Marvel for members

2. Play two games in Melbourne and two at a new secondary home. It could be Albury, Bendigo, Moe, Nth Queensland, NZ, Canberra, wherever. Assume a 7/2/2 MCG/Marvel/? split. You would play only the low drawing games outside of Melbourne.

3. Find a 'new Tassie' - perhaps GWS exit Canberra and we make that our new home. Maybe Albury (would need a new stadium). Not sure where else could sustain four AFL games, or have enough cash to fund us.

Your preference?

MrPremiership

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
OK, so this is not a thread to discuss the merits of the possible Tasmanian Devils, nor the likely-hood of it actually happening, nor when it might happen.

Simply, if we exit Tassie at the end of 2024, what would you like the club to do with those four home games?

1. Play all four in Melbourne - it would most likely be a 8/3 or 7/4 MCG/Marvel split. The club would need to allocate permanent seats/sections at Marvel for members

2. Play two games in Melbourne and two at a new secondary home. It could be Albury, Bendigo, Moe, Nth Queensland, NZ, Canberra, wherever. Assume a 7/2/2 MCG/Marvel/? split. You would play only the low drawing games outside of Melbourne.

3. Find a 'new Tassie' - perhaps GWS exit Canberra and we make that our new home. Maybe Albury (would need a new stadium). Not sure where else could sustain four AFL games, or have enough cash to fund us.

Your preference?
thought our deal ended in 2022

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brant

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

Your preference?
Venture to a new location & takeover the local populace.

South Aussies are footy mad & the local teams have f*** all going for them. I reckon we should play 4 games in Adelaide & give the locals something to cheer about - pull an extra 100,000 members.

Walshawk

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Essendon will be playing an extra game or two at MCG from 2025 once their Marvel deal expires, so how many games we get there will depend on what North do with their four returned games. If they play them all at Marvel we might get only two Marvel games. Otherwise three I reckon.

THE EQUALIZER

All Australian
Nov 28, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it will be an 8-3 split between the MCG and Docklands.

A big factor is the amount of games the MCG are willing to take in the future as more games are brought back to Melbourne. Eventually, Carlton and Essendon will play a majority of their home games at the MCG. Up to 54 matches could be played there yearly and I wouldn’t be opposed to the Saints, North and the Dogs taking a marquee match to the ground as well.

Blackhawk42

Premiership Player
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

Your preference?
As someone from Albury... 3 would be amazing. Current stadium is undergoing huge renovations as we speak so that part is covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lakers | 49ers | SMC Gaels
All four at the G? ;)

Okay, with fantasy time over, personal interest says better to have all four played in Melbourne. I'm not part of the "Marvel Stadium is an abomination" brigade so if that's where most of the four end up, so be it. It's four games I can easily get to (which hasn't been the case for a few years).

My concern is, as a member, how much extra will memberships cost? I'm assuming they'll go up because I'm getting more for my money.

If we were to have another non-Melbourne home for the four games, it makes no difference to a degree. Again, from a personal interest perspective, it's still four games for which I'd have to travel to attend.

Hawkk

Hall of Famer
Sep 17, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn't mind taking over the Canberra deal from GWS if the AFL permits that to happen. We seem to have pretty good representation there in terms of support.
To be fair we also have strong representation in WA, SA and Qld too.

There is no way the AFL are going to take the Canberra deal away from their lovechild (the Giants)

How many non core markets can we have?

Since 2013, our Dockland home games have included...

Rd 12 2013 Hawthorn v West Coast 32,567 (36,606 average for last 5 home and away MCG games)
Rd 21 2015 Hawthorn v Port Adelaide 28,657 (22,028 average for last 5 home and away MCG games *albeit 3 predate 2004)
Rd 23 2017 Hawthorn v W Bulldogs 48,090 (37,192 average for last 5 home and away MCG games *albeit 2 predate 2004)
Rd 10 2018 Hawthorn v West Coast 28,077 (36,606 average for last 5 home and away MCG games)
Rd 22 2019 Hawthorn v Gold Coast 31,331 (26,200 average for last 3 home and away MCG games)

Our Dockland home crowds have held up reasonably.

Remember the reported B/E point for Dockland's games are 27,000 / 28,000.

There is also a myth that Tasmania has resulted in higher drawing fixtures in Melbourne.

Between 2006 and 2019 -

The Positives
- Hawthorn has hosted Geelong in 10 games at the MCG
- Hawthorn has hosted Collingwood in 9 games at the MCG

The Negatives
- Hawthorn has hosted Richmond in 3 games at the MCG
- Hawthorn has hosted Essendon in 5 games at the MCG
- Hawthorn has hosted Carlton in 2 games at the MCG

Of our 5 potential high drawing fixtures (which average 60,000 + per game) we have been scheduled as the away team many more times then we have the home team.

At the same time we have had plenty of Melbourne games (since 2010) against the Gold Coast (4), GWS (3), Fremantle (3) and West Coast (5)

All games that were originally supposed to be shifted to Tasmania

Last edited:

HigginsHawk

All Australian
Jun 10, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Belconnen/Nth Hobart
I would seriously look into a game in Mumbai. India is probably the next big market to conquer after China. They already have cricket grounds that should handle AFL ok. Could even play under lights so the effects of the heat are mitigated a bit. You could use some cricketing greats as ambassadors to get you a toe in the door.

cryptor

Premium Gold
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All 11 home games at the MCG would be nice. But I know that's not realistic from any perspective and really isn't going to help the club make money to pay for the new HQ.

I'd be happy with a 8/3 or 7/4 split MCG/Marvel. But that's likely to see us stagnate somewhat in terms of membership and financial growth - And I don't mean stagnate in an awesome Worpel way.

7/2/2 split MCG/Marvel/'some new opportunity' seems the most likely. Where is that new opportunity? Who knows. I can see us going into previously charted territory and doing better than those clubs who went there before us (eg. Rural Victoria regions, New Zealand, etc.), or trying something new (eg. India, North America, etc.).

Pessimistic

TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Hawks will play an away game in tassie every year - just watch.

Should all be moved to the mcg, the AFL will give us them all at docklands and screw us over
It certainly is the time to negotiate hard. AFL want something. should give something up. Lets hope jeff doesnt go all tascemental

Flamin Joe

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg, Norwood
Venture to a new location & takeover the local populace.

South Aussies are footy mad & the local teams have f*** all going for them. I reckon we should play 4 games in Adelaide & give the locals something to cheer about - pull an extra 100,000 members.
Honestly this is one of the whackiest ideas I've heard in a while.

You severley underestimate the parochialism that exists in Adelaide. Port Adelaide and Adelaide may be at each others throats at the best of times but the mere thought of a Victorian team muscling in on South Australia soil would unite the two in fierce opposition to this happening.

Not in a million years.

Pessimistic

TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Given we will still get one away tassie game every year, and at least one in each of QLD NSW SA WA * probably not too many outside melbourne.

Maybe the occasional one overseas, but NZ seems to have gone cold

Would port be game to take us on in china?

*Part of the negotiations could be to get guarantees for tickets to games in these states

Brant

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Honestly this is one of the whackiest ideas I've heard in a while.

You severley underestimate the parochialism that exists in Adelaide. Port Adelaide and Adelaide may be at each others throats at the best of times but the mere thought of a Victorian team muscling in on South Australia soil would unite the two in fierce opposition to this happening.

Not in a million years.
Dammit.

So my 100% serious idea of playing 4x games in Adelaide & taking 100,000 South Aussies on as new members probably won't work???

cb16

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We were 10-1 MCG / Docklands pre the Tassie deal. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't go back to that.

Rich

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would seriously look into a game in Mumbai. India is probably the next big market to conquer after China. They already have cricket grounds that should handle AFL ok. Could even play under lights so the effects of the heat are mitigated a bit. You could use some cricketing greats as ambassadors to get you a toe in the door.
Good idea, but any game in India is going to be difficult to schedule due to weather. April and May will be oppressively hot, followed by the monsoon in June/July/August.

Also, the IPL is on during March/April, so cricket grounds would be off limits.

Top Bottom