What to eat in Singapore?

Remove this Banner Ad

Some other things:

- Roti John, Lamb Murtabak - Good for breakfast/lunch and available from most hawker centres (food courts)

- Nasi Lemak
- Char Kway Teow
- Hainanese Chicken Rice (Quite simple, but a favourite of mine)

Most Indian/South Asian fusion dishes are good and pretty unique to the region. Not food, but make sure you have a Singapore Sling at Raffles in the Long Bar. Specifically order a hand-shaken one, otherwise they'll give you one from the dispenser.

Kind of a crap drink TBH but it's compulsory.

Go to arab town - some really good cheap food there in the casual restaurants. Rice and meat dish with a can of coke for about 6 bucks.

Also try the Blue Parrot jazz club in tha area (its on the main street - can't rememeber the name (across from the high rise , which by the way has an amazing bar in the foyer - wine angels) they play all types of music - not just jazz p was ther last month and had a great reggae and there.

If you havn't got a place to stay yet the Parkroyal on beach road is right across the road from this area - good 4 star property with a GREAT pool area,

Most Indian/South Asian fusion dishes are good and pretty unique to the region. Not food, but make sure you have a Singapore Sling at Raffles in the Long Bar. Specifically order a hand-shaken one, otherwise they'll give you one from the dispenser.

Kind of a crap drink TBH but it's compulsory.

Total waste of money. Wouldn't reccomend it at all.

So much good food in Singapore. I spent 5 nights there last year, and was staying with a local so he took us to a few of his favourite places. I would go back again just to eat. A few food highlights were -

Chilli Crab - Mud crab in a tomato-based sauce. It's not hot at all, despite the name.

Hawker food - All sorts of stuff in Hawker centres. We were in a group of 4, so tried a whole range of things. Flat breads filled with curry sauce, satays (beef, chicken, tripe), spicy fried chicken, a few other things I forget. Also had a crazy dessert at the Adam Rd hawker center, it was flavoured ices, a toffee sauce, herbal tea jelly with this creamed corn stuff on top (much nicer than it sounds)

Steam-boat restaurant was good, but dont know what the name of the place I went to was. Fresh seafood, meats and veg, take what you want and cook it at the table. Eat as much as you like. Huge choice, for example there were at least 3 types of cockles, all sorts of offal, basically anything you could think of.

Hainanese chicken-rice is a must.

Singapore Sling at the Raffles is overrated. Was like SG$80 for 3! Too sweet for my taste.

chili crabs is the famous dish from singapore
i went to longbeach, but there is a district somewhere on the habour area with 6 or so restaurants which all sell it. the sauce is amazing to dip bread rolls into!

also i noticed their KFC has a breakfast menu there, lol
and dont drink in singapore, alcohol is taxed about 3x as much as here. juty free bottle of vodka went for $S18 while at a shop its around $S70-80

Go to arab town - some really good cheap food there in the casual restaurants. Rice and meat dish with a can of coke for about 6 bucks.

If you havn't got a place to stay yet the Parkroyal on beach road is right across the road from this area - good 4 star property with a GREAT pool area,

Agree here,Arab St is a genuine experience 10 mins from the middle of town.
Also dont miss Haji Lane,just off Arab St,quirky one off shops & the least Singaporean place Ive ever been to......just find the hookah (pipe) shop & watch the world go by.
Have also stayed at Parkroyal on Beach Rd,great value older style hotel & pool area is huge.
Although if youre a drinker,find a decent Club package that includes grog,as mentioned alcohol is a killer in Singapore

If you have the 30 mins to queue,eat Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken rice at Maxwell Rd......far more genuine experience than a dodgy $30 mocktail at Raffles

seth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Check out apollo curry house in little india. Or Muthus also in little india. Good banana leaf meals there and good fish head curry too.

You should try the soup tulang as well available in most hawker stalls over there. You can get it at the golden mile hawker centre.

Awesome food in singapore, Enjoi!!!!

I'm only a beer drinker, but I found beer prices to be about on par with Australia. 6-pack of cans from Cold Storage (Woolworths) for around $12. 600ml bottles of Tiger or Barons (8.8%, average beer but puts hair on your chest) at Hawker centre for $5ish. Didn't go out to bars or clubs, so can't comment on those.

OP: Just try as much food as you can/want. There is so much to choose from in Singapore, it's ridiculous. Basically everywhere you go, there will be something interesting to eat, and usually cheap too. When you have Malaysian, Indonesian, Chinese, Indian, plus all the other races that make up the dense population of such a small island, you would have to be an absolute picky bastard to not be able to find something that you like. We spent 5 days going all over the island, and not once was I disappointed in the food selection or quality. If you're as into Asian food as I am, you will be in heaven. I'm salivating just thinking about it, and trying to come up with a reason to go back ASAP!

One thing I regret not eating was Durian. I saw plenty of places selling it, but for some reason I didn't try it. I'm not sure if it's seasonal or not. Most of their food comes from Malaysia and Indonesia, I believe. I've been told that their beef generally comes from Australia. Another interesting fact is that their tap water contains recycled sewerage, yet excedes the World Health Organisation's requirements for drinking water purity.

Some other things:

- Roti John, Lamb Murtabak - Good for breakfast/lunch and available from most hawker centres (food courts)

- Nasi Lemak
- Char Kway Teow
- Hainanese Chicken Rice (Quite simple, but a favourite of mine)

I'm in Singapore as I type this and all of the above I would recommend. Beef Rendang if you can find it as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back