Food/Supplements What to eat the day before and on gameday....

Remove this Banner Ad

Having milk in your coco pops 2-3 hours before the match shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't take milk that long to digest.

I have a milk protein shake covered bowl of coco pops before every match. I seem to go alright.

Get your good fat intake over 100g a day & you will notice a difference,

yeah for sure...
when i was eating 1-2 avocados a day, 12 fishoils, 1 steak, 6 whole eggs, all cooked in coconut oil (plus 3-4 servings of chicken and 8-10 cups of veges a day) I felt my best...

nice and smooth.

Having milk in your coco pops 2-3 hours before the match shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't take milk that long to digest.

I have a milk protein shake covered bowl of coco pops before every match. I seem to go alright.

Pasteurised & homogenised milk can take up to 24 hours to digest due the following reasons-
1.80% of the Milks protein content is casein which is a slow digesting protein.
2.Pasteurisation destroys the enzymes contained in the milk to help digest the protein , carbs & fat so then your body has to pull from its enzymes stores to digest pasteurised milk, not every one has these enzymes hence why some cant tolerate milk.
Raw milk still contains the enzymes hence easier to digest,sale of raw milk is banned in australia & can only be sold for cosmetic purposes.
Raw goat milk is legal to sell in Australia & digests in 20minutes but I don't advise any casein consumption pre game for the main reason that your want all your blood flow carrying nutrients to your muscles for energy & for performance during the game opposed to being used on aiding digestion of slow releasing proteins.
That's why aminos are ideal just b4 & during the game because the go straight into the bloodstream & bypass your stomach.

Really interesting stuff ablett, thanks for your input.

I'm considering trying the beetroot shots before games to see if it helps improve my endurance. Looking at buying "Beet-it" shots online but they work out to $4 each for just a 70ml shot. Will buying a 1L bottle of pure beetroot juice have the same affect? Also unsure how much juice i need to drink, read a report saying 500ml 2 hours before a game?

Really interesting stuff ablett, thanks for your input.

I'm considering trying the beetroot shots before games to see if it helps improve my endurance. Looking at buying "Beet-it" shots online but they work out to $4 each for just a 70ml shot. Will buying a 1L bottle of pure beetroot juice have the same affect? Also unsure how much juice i need to drink, read a report saying 500ml 2 hours before a game?

The 70ml sports is concentrated & equivilant to a litre of beetroot juice, the shot contains less sugar & a lot less liquid to consume.

how about doing this before training and gym? or save it for game day?
Yeah good before weights, crossfit or footy training etc..
Beetroot juice contains nitrate which boosts nitric oxide levels, nitric oxide increases blood flow.

Cos I take a few other pre gym & training supps/stimulants I only use the beetroot shots on game days for a bit of extra help than during the week.

Just got some beta-alanine & citrulline melate to add to the mix too.
CM is a nitric oxide booster too so I'm interested to see its effects are amplified taken with beet shots & if they work in synergy or not.
Beta-alanine boosts carnosine which inhances ATP stores for energy release similar to Creatine.
BA & CM also delay muscle fatigue which helps endurance & recovery between output.

ablett, i still cant get my head around the fact that you may not be eating food since 8pm the night before, then play a full game of football on nothing but a beetroot shot, and some other ingredients in a shake...

ablett, i still cant get my head around the fact that you may not be eating food since 8pm the night before, then play a full game of football on nothing but a beetroot shot, and some other ingredients in a shake...

I thought I remembered seeing a bowl of cereal with the whey shake in there the morning of?

I have been doing a bit of experimenting with food intake more so on game day itself. I play in the reserves so start time for me is 11:50am, and i generally arrive at the ground around 10 am. My pre game routine last weekend;

Around 8am wake up
Stretch with foam roller
Literally run around the corner to a park where i do some small sprints and ball handling to loosen up (10-15mins worth)
Banana and Super greens, as soon as i arrive home
Shower
30 mins later 100g rump steak and cup of veggies
Half handful of almonds and dried fruit and some coconut oil
Arrive at the ground around 10
Around 10:30 i have a tsp of natural peanut butter and 10 almonds
Around 11;30 i use a pre mix energy drink from the supplement supplier i buy my stuff through. It's in powder form and i mix with water so it's not like im drinking a red bull or V.

Worked pretty well, i always get nervous before a game so feel a bit sluggish in the first 5 mins but after that i feel fine and i ran out the game well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are the carbs?

What pre workout are you talking about. You really could just substitute that with a caffeine tablet or two.

I'm experimenting with the renegade diet at the moment, which is under eating during the day and "over eating" post work out. Just a bit of back round on me at the moment i'm 5'10 81-82kg, trying to loose body fat and maintain lean muscle and increase strength. So i under eat during the day, over eat post work and only consume carbs post work out. So Friday night i my meal will consist of;

150g of rump steak
2 cup of veggies
1/2 cup of sweet potato
1/2 cup of corn pasta with 100g of mince
half handful of almonds and dried fruit

Generally i am eating low carbs, just something i am trying out at the moment. I had a body scan last month and was at 15% so trying a set meal plan and routine for 10 weeks another body scan and see what results i get.

My pre work out;

http://www.yorhealth.com/products/berryblast/default.aspx

I have tried this and bulk nutrients caffeine pills. I found the caffeine pills gave me a bit more of a buzz.

Generally i am eating low carbs, just something i am trying out at the moment. I had a body scan last month and was at 15% so trying a set meal plan and routine for 10 weeks another body scan and see what results i get.

I have done something similar. Eating 1 meal of carbs on post workout days only (Sweet potato only).

Rest of my meals were protein and fats.

Had great success, but you need to make sure you are having a carb up day at least once a week, and as you get leaner they will become more frequent. I fainted once and felt very light headed about 2 weeks after that. Both times were while I was doing this diet and i think it was because of low blood sugar levels.

I have done something similar. Eating 1 meal of carbs on post workout days only (Sweet potato only).

Rest of my meals were protein and fats.

Had great success, but you need to make sure you are having a carb up day at least once a week, and as you get leaner they will become more frequent. I fainted once and felt very light headed about 2 weeks after that. Both times were while I was doing this diet and i think it was because of low blood sugar levels.

Yea i am in calorie deficit each day, except i make sure i am calorie surplus one day a week which is usually a 24 hr period from 7 pm Friday (post workout) to dinner the next night. So i am eating a lot of food the night before and after footy. At the moment i am eating 4 sushi rolls after footy, some simple carbs, protein and fats. Get a couple of strange looks from team mates but its better than eating pies or chips!

Not really ideal for football, I would have thought.

Something i am experimenting with at the moment, i have been on a lower carb diet since november. I have got through the withdrawals of breads etc and the body is use to not relying on it as a regular energy source. I don't have the feeling of lack of energy or faint feeling anymore, but it was hard for the first 4 weeks.

I've recently returned to footy after last playing u/17s four years ago and I'm finding it incredible how much more I need to eat when I have games on Saturdays compared to pre season with just two training sessions, even though I'd go for an extra run or two and do some weights throughout the week.

Starting Thursday I have slightly bigger meals than usual throughout the day. I have a big lunch then a big dinner (generally subway meal or a pizza) on Friday night with a loaf of garlic bread an hour or so before bed, as well as some chocolate/iced coffee or any other calorie dense food I feel like throughout the day. I've always struggled to eat in the mornings but have found nutella on toast to be a delicious way to get some energy in. This has me feeling great on game day with plenty of energy through to the last quarter. It seems like a hell of a lot of food but it's working so far. Staying right at 75kgs as well.

I've recently returned to footy after last playing u/17s four years ago and I'm finding it incredible how much more I need to eat when I have games on Saturdays compared to pre season with just two training sessions, even though I'd go for an extra run or two and do some weights throughout the week.

Starting Thursday I have slightly bigger meals than usual throughout the day. I have a big lunch then a big dinner (generally subway meal or a pizza) on Friday night with a loaf of garlic bread an hour or so before bed, as well as some chocolate/iced coffee or any other calorie dense food I feel like throughout the day. I've always struggled to eat in the mornings but have found nutella on toast to be a delicious way to get some energy in. This has me feeling great on game day with plenty of energy through to the last quarter. It seems like a hell of a lot of food but it's working so far. Staying right at 75kgs as well.

I don't really subscribe to eating what you like before or after footy, i still think you should eat good foods and not necessarily load up on simple carbs. But if you feel good playing on what your eating don't fix what isn't broken.

I under eat for 6 days with only two meals a day, my food totals around 2000 cals +/- 100 cals a day. The only time i over eat is Friday night to Saturday night. I have footy training twice a week, plus a game and 3 weight sessions a week. I don't suffer from a lack of energy at all.

Each to their own.

I don't really subscribe to eating what you like before or after footy, i still think you should eat good foods and not necessarily load up on simple carbs. But if you feel good playing on what your eating don't fix what isn't broken.

I under eat for 6 days with only two meals a day, my food totals around 2000 cals +/- 100 cals a day. The only time i over eat is Friday night to Saturday night. I have footy training twice a week, plus a game and 3 weight sessions a week. I don't suffer from a lack of energy at all.

Each to their own.

I did start off eating fairly clean when games began but I just didn't have the energy to perform at my best throughout the match. Right now my maintenance calories would be about 3,400 and it's tough to get that much from veggies and lean meat. I still eat plenty of highly nutritious food, footy just demands a huge amount of additional energy.

As you said, each to their own. There is no one system that works for everybody.

I did start off eating fairly clean when games began but I just didn't have the energy to perform at my best throughout the match. Right now my maintenance calories would be about 3,400 and it's tough to get that much from veggies and lean meat. I still eat plenty of highly nutritious food, footy just demands a huge amount of additional energy.

As you said, each to their own. There is no one system that works for everybody.

Very true, i have spent hours doing a spreadsheet and meal plan to count my calories and your right it ain't easy eating a lot of good food. My maint calories on game day would be about 3400 too and about 2800 during the week. And depends what your goals are, i am trying to build lean muscle and burn body fat. But if you can eat as you like and maintain weight then go for it you lucky bastard. On the plus side i now know when i can indulge a little!

Each to their own.

IMO Athletes need carbs to recover and provide energy. With only 2000 on training days, surely you are going hungry/under recovering?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back