What to expect in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Just want to see signs that Charlie and McKay will be as good as we hope...really was such a key draft for us - if four of Weiters, Jack, Charlie, McKay and Cuningham become good footballers, it sets us up for a decade. We're already half way there I reckon.

Soapy. How do you see a side that contains all these names and in particular those highlighted in blue?

I understand that us supporters have a vision of every new player to have a great future and just because SOS selected them, won't make it to be the case.

Even if we have just the players non highlighted in blue, all together by years end, we're miles in front.

of course it is a bit of a stretch to think all will play and at once. I did say most ;)

im just hoping that most step up. it's also important to get them games to see if they can play. trying not to be biased but i really think sos has assembled the best group of young talent we have had since the draft began.

of course it is a bit of a stretch to think all will play and at once. I did say most ;)

im just hoping that most step up. it's also important to get them games to see if they can play. trying not to be biased but i really think sos has assembled the best group of young talent we have had since the draft began.

I presume you mean at Carlton? Otherwise, the Lions and GWS sides might have something to say.

Gee wizz....Did any of those guys ever look like they would make it? I suppose Clem showed a couple of signs in the pre-season but I never saw anything at VFL from the any of them that looked remotely AFL-worthy. I'm bullish about our prospects but expectations need to remain realistic....to me, until a new recruit debuts and shows something, I'm not counting on anything, particularly given the ongoing struggles at Preston. I think the jury is even still out on someone like Cuningham, despite the positive late season showings.

I think we all can acknowledge t remains an inexact science.....Even the Hawks wasted top ten picks on Thorpe and Dowler.

Soapy. How do you see a side that contains all these names and in particular those highlighted in blue?

Harks of the ones you highlighted I really like polson & lebois. some genuine elite talent. pickett i'm not sure because of injury. macreadie i thought was very good but wonder why he slid in draft. kerr, not sure but fills a role we need and williamson is the type of player I really like but he is very young.

all in all im and excited about our young list. more than i have been before. not all will make it but they llok good at this stage. having said that i am just a supporter and have no intimate knowledge of any of the players. i just go with what i have seen

No doubt we will have some DVR's, Smith's and Fosters amongst the group. i.e. Players that look as though they should make it, but over time, the limitations become more and more glaring.

i wasn't excited at all about those guys like this current lot. had some hope for smith and wanted dvr to succeed because of the great left foot. was never excited by guys like lucas bootsma and was even more disappointed when we recruited jones dick everitt thomas whiley & jaksch. hopeful but never confident.

this current group since sos started i believe is a lot better.

Clem looked terrific only 12 months ago. Dropped weight, looked serious and burned his team-mates off, regularly.
DVR just looked like a footballer. Hard to explain but even putting his kick aside, he just looked like someone who will.....he didn't.
Foster? Not the best example but I relate him to Kerr, as a type. Onec we threw him into the back-line, it was all over for The Fos.

Maybe we played him out of position a bit but still....I never saw it. I suppose I might be too cynical about it but I just don't rate training and VFL form much. I want to see signs at AFL level before I get remotely excited. There are too many people who look good at training or in the VFL but get convert to AFL...Nick Graham is another example for some reason (which is sad, I really like him).

It works both ways though - some people are just made for AFL level and struggle to get involved in the VFL. I'd like to have seen us give DVR a couple of games for this reason. Might as well see what we have.

i wasn't excited at all about those guys like this current lot. had some hope for smith and wanted dvr to succeed because of the great left foot. was never excited by guys like lucas bootsma and was even more disappointed when we recruited jones dick everitt thomas whiley & jaksch. hopeful but never confident.

this current group since sos started i believe is a lot better.

Yep. It might be recency bias but the new kids look way more promising that those we've recruited in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keen as hell to watch these guys over the next few weeks and it's weird how quickly you can fall in love with some players and just as easily fall out of love for others. Hope it's love all the way this year. :)

agree. it's just nice to have some genuine hope after so long. the thing i like about these players is they all have good skills and are exciting players. be great to see pickett charlie sps fisher polson le bois all playing well in the same side. add to this list anotehr 5-6 new kids and some FA's at the end of 2017 and it's a really exciting time. 2018 will be great to watch.

If....if....we strike gold with 2 out of Williamson, Kerr, Polson, LeBois and Macreadie, we will have done very well.
I may be wrong but I have little to doubt on SPS, Fisher, Pickett and Marchbank.....but even there, you just don't know. Injury can be a bitch.

we don't know until they play. some can't handle the step up. these guys just look to have all the tools. agree about the ones you listed. polson looks a natural to me and sos may have hidden him. le bois to me looks something special but he did go as a rookie so maybe i'm missing something?

the other point is i am extemely confident in bolton's ability to develop and get the best out of the kids. he will play them and give them confidence. there is no way charlie, silvagni or cuningham were really ready last year but when fit he threw them in and i think the benefits will show through this year

I don't really care to comment too much yet, as for the simple reason............I haven't even watched the guys to date. :)
I only have 'feelings' and feelings don't count for too much......and neither does 2 minutes on Youtube.

Keen as hell to watch these guys over the next few weeks and it's weird how quickly you can fall in love with some players and just as easily fall out of love for others. Hope it's love all the way this year. :)

Harsh on Dennis? Diabolically so. I accept he is a limited player but his stats over the last few seasons show that when fit he produces very very well. For mine a spot in the 22 should be his to lose.

Ask yourself the question, would Dennis get a game in any of the top 8 teams? Even top 12.. For me its a clear no.

Ask yourself the question, would Dennis get a game in any of the top 8 teams? Even top 12.. For me its a clear no.
I'm not so sure about that. Reckon he would be a very handy player in a top team. Not a star, but a role player that's picked pretty much every week.

Richmond have brought in Prestia - our backline will be stronger and more developed than same time last year - and forward line will be improved with Palmer/Smedts C.Curnow and SOJ running around. Midfield I see as probably going our way....

So I am thinking we are a big shot at a starting win and a fantastic derailment of the Tuggers season- who were being talked about as a top4 side this time last year.

Richmond have brought in Prestia - our backline will be stronger and more developed than same time last year - and forward line will be improved with Palmer/Smedts C.Curnow and SOJ running around. Midfield I see as probably going our way....

So I am thinking we are a big shot at a starting win and a fantastic derailment of the Tuggers season- who were being talked about as a top4 side this time last year.

They lost Delidio which is huge. Caddy is handy. I think we will win by 30 plus

Would love to think so, as the Tigers have lost a genuine threat in Deledio - the only one from their entire list who can get the team going when things are going against them - but come on. They've set themselves for the next two years, for whatever reason. They won't win a flag; they won't bottom out, quite. They'll be round about the bottom of the eight, either side of that divide, and they'll beat some good sides then lose to some poor ones. A midfield of Cotchin, Martin, Caddy, Miles and Prestia is nothing to sneeze at; not world beaters either, but a good mixture of differing types of player. They've still got Riewoldt and Rance, so it's really whether or not we can kick a winning score and win the midfield battle that'll sway the match either way.

Unless we absolutely tear them apart through the middle - Cripps, Murph, Gibbs, Curnow all having blinders, or the new kids stepping up and having a performance worthy of a Rising Star nomination by kicking goals as well as clearing the ball - they should beat us. What I want to see, though, is improved strategy entering the forward line, improved leading patterns from whatever talls we select, and some more influence from Kruezer around the stoppages, either through possessing the ball or influencing the fall of it, either from a tap or a shepherd or a tackle.

Little things first. Improved game plan means better performances, and maybe more wins. Richmond have set themselves for the short term, which means that they should be winning round one. Would absolutely love to beat them, just really don't think that'll happen.

Sorry but I get really tired of this comment. The top teams have plenty of blokes in the team that are just good honest toilers. I am tipping Armfield would get a game at any other club and probably play many games in a season. I don't see too much difference between him and say Puopolo for Hawthorn.

You do realise round 1 is against the tiges dont you ? We nearly rolled them last year, they lost delidio & we kept Gibbs. Another preseason working on the gameplan & fitness strength etc so why shouldn't we feel confident? It is a 2 horse race after all...
My point exactly...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back