What to expect in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm expecting no improvement, we've had a good run with injury this season apart from losing Murphy and we've still done poorly. A poor run with injury and s**t could really get bad next year, it's a fine line for us, however a good run and we'll be competitive as we have been this year. As our youngsters mature they will become regulars and that wont improve us for some time. Would hope we take steps forward in 2018 but it's hard to see our midfield not declining.

I'm expecting no improvement, we've had a good run with injury this season apart from losing Murphy and we've still done poorly. A poor run with injury and s**t could really get bad next year, it's a fine line for us, however a good run and we'll be competitive as we have been this year. As our youngsters mature they will become regulars and that wont improve us for some time. Would hope we take steps forward in 2018 but it's hard to see our midfield not declining.
Yes agree,a fine line..we have done ok this year with six wins so far,i think a weaker list than last year considering the experience we lost .We have under Bolts played to a game plan and trained hard,which it should be.It will be a significant piece of work for Botls,SOS and admin to regrow this group and add to it each and every draft/trade each year.I think this is a new direction for the club and think we will take all our draft picks again and go for youth meaning mids this draft and probably next...obviously our success will be for developing our draft into elites.Elite defence ,strong midfield and eventually a mobile attacking forward line....they will have to aim high and get by on hope and belief for a lot of it to generate that list,for a start there is plenty for Bolts and SOS to discard from the senior list this year again.Obviously our lack of A grade depth suggests B graders will be expendible or definately C+...in many regards thank goodness this year is done and we looked ok....considering the list

I'd be expecting Cripps to get more support next season if not the poor guy will be on one leg again come midseason which is going to shorten his playing career in the long term.
We can't go down the Juddy path again with Cripps he's far to valuable.

It's a good point you make.

Probably my biggest criticism of Ratten's years as coach when we were playing finals around 2009-11 was that we were far too reliant on Judd and Murphy. Not only were we too dependent on them but it was an unnecessary strain on their bodies. I think particularly for Judd, who was always a target around stoppages.

Hope that we continue to develop other young players to give Cripps a hand, keeping in mind that Gibbs and Murphy are much closer to the end than the start of their careers.

Like 2016, I expect wins still a thing that will escape us most weeks but having seen the club play Weitering, Jack Silvagni and Charlie Curnow it would seem they are hellbent on allowing them to learn on the job in the seniors. Cuningham on limited amount of football got to play last few weeks in seniors which is promising. Saw him for first time live on weekend and saw some good stuff to work with there. Which leaves Harry McKay coming back from long term injury in VFL side the only new draftee not to debut in 2016. I think after the pre-season he will also be given the role of learning in seniors.

So had a quick think of what our 2017 side would look like at this moment without thinking about 2017 draftees or possible new players from other clubs. I heard on weekend Casboult looks to be signing up for 2017 so for the moment he is the 2nd key forward body to protect the likes of our future hopes of McKay at the moment. Similarly I get the feeling Jones will be around another year. That does not excite me for 2017 but it is what it is and as long as they protect the younger talls whilst they have training wheels on, I can probably put up with the frustration a little longer. Hopefully Casboult practices giving it off at every opportunity after he marks....

It looks like this for mine:
B: Tuohy, Rowe, Weitering
HB: Docherty, Plowman, Simpson
C: Ed Curnow, Gibbs, Dylan Buckley
HF: Charlie Curnow, Casboult, Jack Silvagni
F: Sumner, Liam Jones. Harry McKay
Foll: Kruezer, Cripps, Murphy
Int: Cuningham, Phillips, Armfield, M Wright
Em: Kerridge, Boekhorst, Jaksch

For mine whilst our draftees from last pre-season still have training wheels on for some time anything above bottom 4 on ladder will be a surprise.
Somehow I expect Dale Thomas not in there. If he is playing on it will have to be as captain of our VFL side for mine. It is where his football is at. He is not AFL level anymore. Rowe will need replacing for a better key defender and in time I am hoping Glass-McCasker can start playing in 2018 like Swans replacing Ted Richards with Aliir this season.
I expect Everitt to be traded. He has enough years left in him to be of more use to a premiership contender than us for next three seasons.
Also feel Armfield and Wright will be part of side until we find better goal kicking smaller players in coming years. I am ok with that for another season. I would hope in 2018 there is no more need to play types like Casboult, Jones, Rowe and Kerridge in the 22 that we saw on weekend. Kerridge at best has a future as a tagger. Did not kick enough goals this year to get a role as a high half forward in a better 22. Wright was more value as a goal kicker. When we have better players we will rise to places like 9th to 11th on ladder. By then Simpson will be finishing up so hopefully Ciaran Byrne makes a full recovery from his injury to take on the attacking half back role Simmo has done for us.
We are going to need to add some serious class and depth to midfield in coming draft I feel as by 2018, Murphy will be turning 31. I think our first round pick this season has to be aimed at a gun young mid we can have in side 2019 onwards. Round two pick the same probably.

Last off season we drafted primarily for the spine with Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Silvagni and Glass-McCasker all brought onto this list.
I think it is something we have to trust in along with the trade the got our Plowman for defence too. Jaksch obviously was starting to play more back than forward in VFL team towards end of season so I think they look like being patient with him as a tall. If his form picks up in 2017 he could replace Rowe in the 22 during the season.

As for players in the market from other clubs, if O'Meara has a good medical report on for long term future and can get relatively cheap I am happy for us to find a way of getting him. I would not be giving up our number 5 draft pick for him though. Everitt, Dale Thomas and Nick Graham for him happy to deal with Gold Coast on.
I was at the Giants and North game on weekend. Had a bit of a look at Tomlinson. Did not see anything to make me get excited over him.
Heard his name mentioned numerous times around these traps but other than being a tall, not sure why he talked about so much. If he left GWS for any reason I do not see anything but a pick in 40s worth giving up to get. But no mistakes like pick 7 that previous recruiters gave up for Jaksch thanks. Happy to trust more in Glass-McCasker, Weitering and Plowman for the moment.

Overall think it is more midfield class in off season as our priority. In the back of my mind I see we have another taller Silvagni that likely to be drafted in not too distant future.
I am expecting 2018 Harry McKay to start playing as one of our two key forwards and by that time also hopefully Jack Silvagni or Charlie Curnow put on enough body mass and height to do the same.

Last edited:
There was one peice of play last weekend. It's was Cuningham running at pace with a great pick up and fired off the handball which hit the target and we were off to the races.
Kerrigde just would not have been clean enough by hand to make this same play, he really need to work on his ball handing skills over the off season.

So you are expecting Calamity Kerridge to be able to pick the pill up whilst on the run by next year. Should be doable. In 2018 we can work on getting him to hit a target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Plowman -- Marchbank -- Simpson
HB: Docherty -- Weitering -- Byrne

C: Murphy -- Gibbs -- Tomlinson
R:
Cripps -- Phillips -- E. Curnow

HF: Sumner -- C. Curnow -- Wright
FF: Silvagni -- McKay -- Ainsworth

Int: Cuningham -- Kruezer -- Buckley -- Clarke

Caleb Marchbank and Adam Tomlinson from GWS for our first round pick from Sydney for Zach Tuohy.

Ben Ainsworth for pick #5 in the ND. Dylan Clarke for pick #23 in the ND

Ciaran Byrne back from his ACL and providing great defense and run off half back and Marc Murphy back to his attacking, dangerous and damaging best.

C. Curnow, H. McKay, J. Silvagni, L.Sumner and D. Cuningham all having break-out years.

10 - 15 wins.

Best. Case. Scenario.

Improvement but the guys below us may bounce up dramatically.
Bris-fair list /new coach
Bombers- cheats back
Freo- tanked with the best, don't reckon they want to do 2 years.

So bottom 4 I'd think.

Improvement but the guys below us may bounce up dramatically.
Bris-fair list /new coach
Bombers- cheats back
Freo- tanked with the best, don't reckon they want to do 2 years.
We WILL finish above Brisbane 100%
Sick of hearing about the Essendon players back. Hooker, Heppell and Hurley are the only good ones. Watson is old and cooked, Stanton was cooked before he was suspended. Howlett, Myers, Colyer and Bellchambers all all meh. Will 100% be worse for the year off. Pears & Hocking are spuds. Hibbard & Carlisle are gone. While they will improve, i still dont have competing for the 8.
Freo will go through a rebuild. Old players out and will play alot of youth. No Pav, cant see where the improvement comes from.

With the young blokes continuing to grow, game plan worked on over another pre season and some new talent on the list, i would be disappointed if all these teams bounced above us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back