What types will your club be looking for in the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We would be looking for 3 quality mids with picks 1, 15 & 18 and hoping for a bid on Ballenden comes after pick 18.

Pick 1 - happy with either LDU or Dow
Picks 15 & 18 would be happy with two of :-
H. CLARK
C. CONSTABLE
L. O'BRIEN
J. WORPEL

I see Ballenden as a back and would think maybe a KPF at some stage makes sense.

Still developing a culture so hard working kids with good physical traits like Hunt or good natural ability like Hannan is probably the key.

Don't think we really lack any position, maybe wing but Stretch couldn't get a game as our only wingman as Goodwin likes to play without a true wingman for some reason + Brayshaw would be pretty good there I think.

Ruck to replace Spencer?

Thanks bud - ruck / KPF???
Could definately do with both.

As far as ruck goes we've got Sandilands, Darcy, then we're down to Strnadica in the rookie list and pinch hitting from Pearce, Taberner and Apeness. Could definately use some depth in this area after losing Griffin and Clarke.

Obviously a hole in KPFs as well, not sure if we'll find the type we need though. Our current options are McCarthy, Taberner and Apeness who can't get on the park. Kersten, Strnadica and Cox can all pinch hit up there, but we're lacking a real focal point.

I think we could also use a small forward, even with Matera coming in. Ballantyne only has a year left and we want Walters and Bennell up the field more.

Ruck to replace Spencer?
Pedo as backup ruck works really nicely, better than a Zac Clarke would work tbh because of his mobility. Kielty a similar player at Casey who might get promoted next year to inherit Pedo's role as the utility who plays ruck when Maxy goes down. I think us delisting Spencer signifies we are happy with our ruck stocks, because Spencer is actually a very capable backup.

If there are any high level mature age ruckmen we might take a punt but I think we will pass on Hayes even at pick 36. Mitch King a more talented ruckman in his draft year despite injuries, Flipper is another developing ruck and we had the chance to get McInerery from Casey last year but passed. We don't seem that keen on developing rucks and dare I say it King and Filipovic have one year to show something otherwise they'll be culled as well.

Ruck to replace Spencer?
And yeah I'm just guessing due to Goody's previous decisions. If it were up to me and a whole lot of other Dee's fans we'd have kept BenKen, Watts, Spencer, traded Tyson and drafted Maibaum last year and perhaps not trade pick 25 for Hibberd (maybe use a future second rounder) and instead try and draft Parfitt. Think Goody's decisions worked out in the end thouagh

Is that really his nickname? :eek:
Sorry i guess it is a bit insensitive, I'm not really sure. A fair amount of people seem to call him that, maybe just Cam or something

Bottom line: mids, mids, mids.

In particular mids who can provide burst of speed from stoppages and elite kicking or outside mids who provide run and carry, as well as having excellent disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best available at 48 - hopefully a decent second round prospect from our recruiters draft board slips through.

Hopefully at least one inside mid with a later pick.

Touched on by a few other WC guys, but really it's midfielders. Inside in particular having lost both Priddis and Mitchell this year. I don't think realistically we planned for both to retire this year, but that's the way it goes.

We've drafted in the last 4 years Sheed, Duggan, Partington & Venables with our 1st picks in the draft. Although they have shown good signs, they haven't done anything yet to suggest they will be better than B+ mids. (Venables would have debuted mid year had it not been for a turf toe injury he got the week prior, particularly bullish on what he can do next year). I think because of that we will need to pick a midfielder again, even if a player like Naughton or Brander turns out to be a better player in the long run.

I've always been of the opinion that you go best available with 1st rounders though- given our strong position in the 2nd round I think we may even be tempted to pick up Naughton or Brander if they are available at our pick.

Another small forward wouldn't go astray, either, but wouldn't be surprised if we get that with 69 or through the rookie draft. Rioli seems to have first shot in there round 1 next year.

Pedo as backup ruck works really nicely, better than a Zac Clarke would work tbh because of his mobility. Kielty a similar player at Casey who might get promoted next year to inherit Pedo's role as the utility who plays ruck when Maxy goes down. I think us delisting Spencer signifies we are happy with our ruck stocks, because Spencer is actually a very capable backup.

If there are any high level mature age ruckmen we might take a punt but I think we will pass on Hayes even at pick 36. Mitch King a more talented ruckman in his draft year despite injuries, Flipper is another developing ruck and we had the chance to get McInerery from Casey last year but passed. We don't seem that keen on developing rucks and dare I say it King and Filipovic have one year to show something otherwise they'll be culled as well.

King and Filipovic aren't ready though and Pederson is an ok pinch hitter but not as a 1st ruck if Gawn goes down injured. Spencer was at least an ok 1st ruck in that situation. If i was you guys i would be getting another mature ruck in as backup.

King and Filipovic aren't ready though and Pederson is an ok pinch hitter but not as a 1st ruck if Gawn goes down injured. Spencer was at least an ok 1st ruck in that situation. If i was you guys i would be getting another mature ruck in as backup.
Yeah I would get a mature age ruck as backup too. Pedo might be gone by the end of next year anyway and King & Filipovic are still quite raw so it wouldn't surprise me if we go for a mature-aged ruck option in the draft.

Midfielders with good footy smarts.
Outside midfielder with a head. Joel Garner perhaps. Doubt he’ll make it to pick 43 though
Probably a KPD maybe as well.

Quality of the top 7-8 in terms of midfield talent means we won't go past the two best we can get for picks 2 and 5. Probably both as inside mids- our greatest need at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back