What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to acknowledge an opinion of someone who clearly hasn't watched the team very closely at all. However on the overall issue of Boyd's performances warranting his contract, as said before he wasn't given the contract for what he would do as a 20 year old. He was signed on for the future. The fact that just weeks after turning 21 he dominated a Grandfinal leaves Dogs fans pretty optimistic about his future. And the issue that the Dogs might not be Premiers without him certainty adds to his value

When you said he was dropped when he went off with a serious shoulder injury is what led me to believe you didn't know about his injury. If you did then I'm sorry, but you posted numerous times about him not being selected without mentioning his serious injury
Let me just be clear for a second. I'm in now way suggesting that Boyd is going to be some AFL failure. Clearly the kid is talented and has all the tools (as we saw on grand final day) to be a great player. I know it sounds like I'm just attacking Boyd as a player or the Bulldogs for the deal, which isn't deliberate.

The point im trying to get across is that he still has a long way to go. He needs to work on perfecting his craft and hopefully the confidence he gained on Grand Final day allows him to do that. Right now though, the conversation around Boyd seems to only be that because he played well on Grand Final day, nothing else he does for the next 4 years of his contract matters. I quote:
. Many Scraggers feared they would never see a flag in their lifetimes - as far as they are concerned Tom Boyd laid their fears to rest. Therefore, even if he spuds it up Tippett style for the next 5 years, his deal will be worth it.
I'm telling you, as a supporter of a team who was playing and winning grand finals only 5 years ago, it takes about 2 seasons for the joy of watching your players win and compete on grand final day, turn to anger when they continuously under perform all season year in year out.

Not sure it's an unpopular opinion, but something I don't quite understand - How the hell did Todd Goldstein not even finish in the top 10 in the North Melbourne B&F count? I know people will try to argue that he was "garbage" this season, but he was at worst the third-best ruckman in the league for most of the year, and definitely among North's better players at the very least, certainly among their top 10.

Not sure it's an unpopular opinion, but something I don't quite understand - How the hell did Todd Goldstein not even finish in the top 10 in the North Melbourne B&F count? I know people will try to argue that he was "garbage" this season, but he was at worst the third-best ruckman in the league for most of the year, and definitely among North's better players at the very least, certainly among their top 10.

Bonuses attached to B&F finish? People who vote for B&F aware of salary cap constraints maybe.

Club B&F counts are strange. I'm still stunned Gawn didn't win ours.

What a high quality post. Absolutely pathetic comments.

Hit a nerve, did I?

Then offer up some counter arguments. I'm open to persuasion (No really, I am). Disagreeing is fine but labeling my comments 'absolutely pathetic' without providing some sort of reasoning for your stance is..... well... surely you can guess :)

Boyd was a huge part in a grand final win. Most clubs would take a career underperformer who rises on grand final day to help them win. Beggars can't be choosers. The Bulldogs absolutely got it right. He could spend the next 5 years being Chris Dawes and it wouldn't matter.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Could not disagree more with that last bit. Is that what any club would want from someone on his salary?

Out of interest, in your opinion (or anyone else that cares to chime in) what sort of numbers (goals and marks) would you expect a key position forward to churn out on the coin Boyd is on. Will happily concede that the game isn't just about numbers and there's more to being a forward than only goals and marks :)

He also spent time in the ruck.

Still, I'm just comparing his overall output to the club's expenses.

As stated earlier, I believe premierships and players contributions to them begin in round one. Having said that, the notion that Boyd 'won them a flag' as some might say or even played a 'huge' part in it is folly. His contribution might have been notable but not 'huge'.

Hit a nerve, did I?

Then offer up some counter arguments. I'm open to persuasion (No really, I am). Disagreeing is fine but labeling my comments 'absolutely pathetic' without providing some sort of reasoning for your stance is..... well... surely you can guess :)
Have at look at the pic, that's my counter argument. Premiership star. And that's all that matters. Ha Ha ha, you arguments are pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it, come up with something original that makes sense.

upload_2016-10-11_22-23-23.jpeg

I think football should be played on sand. At the beach. The Sherrin can be replaced by jellyfish. Six sandcastles for a goal, one for a behind.

It's a completely s**t idea, sure, but that's probably why it's unpopular.

Cheers. :footy: (Imagine this is a jellyfish.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I truly think that Sydney deserve a lot more credit then they normally get. From 2003 they have one missed the top 8 ONCE! They have had some amazing players over the last 13 years. Congratulations Sydney you have more respect from this keyboard warrior

I truly think that Sydney deserve a lot more credit then they normally get. From 2003 they have one missed the top 8 ONCE! They have had some amazing players over the last 13 years. Congratulations Sydney you have more respect from this keyboard warrior
i'm starting to see some real quality bubble up from beneath too. They've done really well

It gets overlooked because they've had a fair bit of help. An extra 10% in the salary cap for most of that and then once it was stripped they received priority access to some of the best draftees.

Haven't done this for a while and besides a lot people find my opinions unpopular, so what the hey?
Most of these will be unpopular with the AFL.

1) Reduce Goal Posts size back the way they were. (Richo is on the money)
2) Merge or fold at least 2 teams. 16 should be the Max in this competition.
3) Bring back the white coats and hats for goal umpires.
4) Review the DRS system, it needs a lot of work. That Grand Final one was a howler!
5) No white away strips for teams that don't have white in their traditional colours!!
6) No Sunday Twilight matches at Etihad stadium, they should all begin at 1.30 or 3pm at the latest.
7) Play VFL curtain raisers to the main game
8) Reduce the number of themed rounds in the fixture, many of these are becoming divisive.
9) Ask Brisbane to play a NAB cup match at Brunswick street oval (Free)
10) Tell Essendon to return to the sash. That is a red stripe not a sash on their guernsey.
11) Have interchange benches on opposite sides.
12) Disband Hawthorn and remove them from competition;).

Haven't done this for a while and besides a lot people find my opinions unpopular, so what the hey?
Most of these will be unpopular with the AFL.

1) Reduce Goal Posts size back the way they were. (Richo is on the money)
2) Merge or fold at least 2 teams. 16 should be the Max in this competition.
3) Bring back the white coats and hats for goal umpires.
4) Review the DRS system, it needs a lot of work. That Grand Final one was a howler!
5) No white away strips for teams that don't have white in their traditional colours!!
6) No Sunday Twilight matches at Etihad stadium, they should all begin at 1.30 or 3pm at the latest.
7) Play VFL curtain raisers to the main game
8) Reduce the number of themed rounds in the fixture, many of these are becoming divisive.
9) Ask Brisbane to play a NAB cup match at Brunswick street oval (Free)
10) Tell Essendon to return to the sash. That is a red stripe not a sash on their guernsey.
11) Have interchange benches on opposite sides.
12) Disband Hawthorn and remove them from competition;).

Agree with many of these but these two would effect each other. If you reduce the goal post size then the DRS will get even messier.

Agree with many of these but these two would effect each other. If you reduce the goal post size then the DRS will get even messier.
Mmm, you're right there, the DRS system has me worried, particularly with that Grand Final decision. According to the DRS system vision the Goal umpire was poked in the eye by a player, but of course we know that the Goal umpire was at least two metres away so how could they possibly over turn that goal ? As for the Goal posts, i thought Richo has always been on the money despite the smirks, it's a psychological barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back