What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting away the whistle in the finals, especially the GF, turns the game into congested, gritty, jail rules, snooze fest, dog shat mess. I personally watch the sport to see the most talented players excel not watch jail rules rubbish I can see at the talentless local pub league.

Last edited:
It served the game well for the first 120 years. No one was complaining then.

Given television coverage of every game, every week, I bet they would have been.

The sport was painfully tactically dumb and unsophisticated for a very long time. The focus on defensive pressure and efficient ball movement and decision-making in today's footy is a logical evolution that was a very long time coming.

Given television coverage of every game, every week, I bet they would have been.

The sport was painfully tactically dumb and unsophisticated for a very long time. The focus on defensive pressure and efficient ball movement and decision-making in today's footy is a logical evolution that was a very long time coming.

I am a purist.

We're not going to agree about any of this.

I'll move along rather than get in to a pointless long drawn out debate.

The debut 'mauling' of Jack Watts is totally overblown and I'm sick of hearing about it. He got tackled by 3 players at once and thats about the worst thing. I reckon it had no affect on his development, like some claim.

The head shouldn't be sacrosanct.

The word "sacrosanct" is overused.

The head should be protected (sacrosanct is a silly word that someone like Derm probably read as a word of the day) but the rule makers (not the umpires, they are just pawns) need to get back to enforcing the concept of self-protection.

Historically gutsy players have backed into packs, put their head over the ball etc. because they prioritise getting the ball over any harm that may come to them. If you back in front of a leading Tom Hawkins or Jon Patton and cop a knee to the back then stiff shit, you put yourself in harm's way.

The same interpretation needs to be applied to stoppages, as it used to be. If you put your head down and someone comes in and bumps you, then it's a free kick and likely a report. If you go in head first then it's on you.

The head should be protected (sacrosanct is a silly word that someone like Derm probably read as a word of the day) but the rule makers (not the umpires, they are just pawns) need to get back to enforcing the concept of self-protection.

Historically gutsy players have backed into packs, put their head over the ball etc. because they prioritise getting the ball over any harm that may come to them. If you back in front of a leading Tom Hawkins or Jon Patton and cop a knee to the back then stiff shit, you put yourself in harm's way.

The same interpretation needs to be applied to stoppages, as it used to be. If you put your head down and someone comes in and bumps you, then it's a free kick and likely a report. If you go in head first then it's on you.
The issue with that is, it has utterly no standing in law. If(when) the AFL legal team is fronting a judge over a law suite involving brain damage, what gutsy players did historically will mean jack shit.

If the AFL make the changes to make this lawsuit possible, the football community will rally against the lawsuit.
what? The issue the AFL faces is that the statement `If you put your head down and someone comes in and bumps you, then it's a free kick and likely a report. If you go in head first then it's on you.` has a lot of meaning in a sporting sense, but means nothing in a legal sense. The AFL has a duty of care, and if a player is paralysed, or there is a group action over long term brain damage, saying , they went in head first, its on them, will not cut it as a defence.

I guess it's all the kicking to opposition players standing on their own, and the continual missing goals from 20 metres out straight in front that confuses us on this point. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The debut 'mauling' of Jack Watts is totally overblown and I'm sick of hearing about it. He got tackled by 3 players at once and thats about the worst thing. I reckon it had no affect on his development, like some claim.

Skinny forward who had just turned 18 and was still at school in a shit team, in front of 60k against a top 4 side, his coach said in the build-up to come along because in years to come you could say you saw him debut...Collingwood, being a smart team, then let him know what AFL is all about trying to get inside his head.

You don't think any of that influences confidence? Ok.

I guess it's all the kicking to opposition players standing on their own, and the continual missing goals from 20 metres out straight in front that confuses us on this point. :)

Could all have a bit to do with far more sophisticated defensive structures around the ground, much higher tackling pressure, and much higher volumes of running, work rate and associated physical and mental fatigue.

Players have to think and move faster than ever before. Nobody's skills are perfect, but most errors are forced in some way.

Skinny forward who had just turned 18 and was still at school in a shit team, in front of 60k against a top 4 side, his coach said in the build-up to come along because in years to come you could say you saw him debut...Collingwood, being a smart team, then let him know what AFL is all about trying to get inside his head.

You don't think any of that influences confidence? Ok.

Buddy Franklin got absolutely smashed against us in his second year and went off injured.

IIRC he bumped Cousins then was gang tackled by Fletcher and Waters. Didn't seem to hold him back.

I am a purist.

We're not going to agree about any of this.

I'll move along rather than get in to a pointless long drawn out debate.

Snake: Im a purist

nek minit

Snake: I want a cap of interchange, less players on the field, 25m kick for a mark, change the number of umpires

Danger games left:
Adelaide away,
Sydney Home,
Richmond Home,
GWS Home

+ bogey team Collingwood

no reason why we cant win all these games.

Richmond would beat Geelong at the G,not sure about Simmonds,six goal advantage.

I really liked the hawks power ranger kit, really liked them embracing the "gold" and the way to brown and gold merged was actually really nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back