What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Hawthorn's colours. To any Hawthorn supporter, they are the most beautiful colours in the world. To anyone else - who cares what you think - if they make you sick then good.
I actually think the current look of our traditional gear is pretty schmick - of course it helps when Buddy is wearing it.
The clash jumper on the other hand, is putrid. Not enough brown and gold.

Brian Cook would do a better job than Demetriou as AFL CEO. Unfortunately we'll never find out how much better.

Caroline Wilson is not a vindictive b*tch who hates North Melbourne and Brayshaw. She's more intelligent than the vast majority of BF posters and she doesn't have to write about the actual game itself. There are enough past players and commentators to do that.

The Eagles should have been stripped of the 2006 premiership

Carlton should have been stripped of the 1995 premiership.

1. Interchange bench has drastically impacted on the game in a negative manner and should be removed in favour of a Rugby League style Subs.

2. Umpires do have teams they favour and are not impartial, results can be changed as the result of bad umpiring, the better team on the day does not always win.

This last one may or may not be unpopular but

3. AFL needs to move to an uncompromised fixture, meaning no gaurantee of 2 derby/showdown/etc, and create a draw which gaurantee's that over 3 years every team will have played every other team an even number of times in H&A matches.

Lance Franklin is a little overrated. Joel Selwood is overrated. Chris Judd is a little overrated (he came to the Blues and a lot of people thought he'd change things and they've done stuff all since).

What does this have to do with the thread??

Or was that just burning so hot in you, you had to let the nugget of chit i mean gold no i mean s**t.

Nick Riewoldt is a very poor AFL captain.

3) Lenny Hayes is overrated, and gets unwarranted over the top praise in a sluggish and uninspiring St kilda midfield. Put him in a Port or Dockers jumper and the 250 game wank fest never happens.

This thread is for unpopular opinions not idiotic ones.

That Fremantle are routinely treated like filth by the umpires and AFL administration and we won't win a flag until Demetriou pisses off from AFL Headquarters

You have the umpires to thank for at least two of your wins this year.

The Grand Final has to be moved away from the MCG. Its a old worn out tradition which is too much of a disadvantage to interstate teams when versing Victorian teams in the final. It wasnt a factor in the past with the awesomeness of Brisbane but with a more even competition it is just too much of a advantage to justify

Tradition is a buzz word that is used to keep unfair practices in play. Time to grow out of it and share the GF around if it is to become a national game as opposed to Victorias game

There have been 9 GF's played at the MCG featuring a Victorian team Vs an interstate team. The Victorian side has won just twice (1996 and 2007).

Given the capacity and relative neutrality of the MCG there really is no other place to play it.

1. If Franklin was a avg footballer his buddy arc advantage would be called play on every time.
2. Non-Vic plays don't get the proper recognition they deserve because the media is NSW/VIC bias.
3. The way subs/rotations (ie 150 a game etc) are used now has improved the quality of the game
4. Despite the tanking issue the way drafts etc are decided makes the competition fair hence why its harder for teams to win multiple premierships (Geelong/Lions are exceptions). We don't have the same clubs dominate every year like in the NBA, EPL, etc.
5. Port Adelaide needs to be re-branded as the Northern Power to appeal to a wider fan base in SA.

1. Cooney deserved his Brownlow
2. Hurley hype pre-season was justified, he's just having a bad season so far
3. If you don't pay for Foxtel don't complain about FTA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5. Port Adelaide needs to be re-branded as the Northern Power to appeal to a wider fan base in SA.
Having the "Northern Power" based in South Australia would be even more idiotic than the "Western Bulldogs" being in the south east of the country.

That Jack Riewoldt isn't in the top 3 kp forwards in the comp.
That Michael Hurley doesn't have the ability to be a star forward, but will excel as a defender.
That Brendon Goddard is horrendously overrated on the back of a couple of good seasons.

I also rate Nick Riewoldt very highly and I think he is the 3rd best forward since Carey ( behind Franklin and Tredrea ). For some reason a lot of posters on here don't rate Nick as an all time great.
I also believe Johnathan Brown is possibly the most overrated player in the history of the game.

Andrew Demetriou is amazing for AFL and the game has improved, quality wise as well as popularity.

Mark Thompson is one of the greatest ever coaches and is ridiculously underrated not only for Geelong, but also for Essendon.

That it's basically a bogan game, played and watched mainly by bogans.

I assume this is an unpopular opinion because my post saying that got deleted from the "booing injuries" thread within a couple of minutes. But it's true.

Sounds more like rugby league to me :eek:

fevola would have made a better carlton captain than judd

if fevola was made captain, he would still be playing football today

Fevola was an idiot. He would have been a crap captain (for any club).

Come to think of it I wish Carlton had made him captain :p

[

Western Bulldogs , St.Kilda , Nth Melbourne , Melbourne and Port Adelaide should be removed from the AFL . Too many team's in the league now , it's no longer an elite competition . Poor performing club's off field should be gone .
The draft has been bad for the competition , strong club's with huge followings , Essendon , Carlton etc have had to help eqaulize the league at the games expense . Club's like collingwood, bombers, Blues, Tigers should be at the top more often than not and certainly not for the sakes of bulldog's , kangaroo's etc , who when they play final's do it to many empty seat's . It's a bad look for the game .
What's the point of making weak performing club's successful on field if they aren't guaranteed of being there in a few years .
No interchange , once a dude comes off he can't come back on . Subs instead .
16 or 15 player's a side .
Shorten the length of a match by at least 20 mins .
Change ' over the shoulder ' free kick to ' dangerous forceful tackle' . Player's should not be rewarded for a slight touch over the shoulder .

Paying for Foxtel is akin to self harm. The more people who sign up, the more dollars Foxtel will have to secure sole rites to coverage and then there will be no choice but to pay.
Why some Foxtel subscribers deride people who don't pay to watch footy on TV doesn't make sense. Why enslave ourselves to the whims of a broadcaster that can price what they like when they will have exclusivity!

That the whole Jim Stynes aftermath went way over the top. By all means Melbourne can do what they like to honour him at their first home game after his passing (ended up having two games), but other games having a minute of silence? Seriously? Sounded like he was a terrific bloke, who did a lot of good for a lot of people, but was his death that much more significant than Charlie Sutton or Bob Davis?

I don't want to sound like a heartless bastard, but I found it hard to understand the media and bigfooty's reaction.

I don't think Jonathon Brown is in the top 5 CHFs of the last decade.
I'd have Franklin, Hall, Riewoldt, Tredrea and Pavlich ahead of him.
His reputation is massively inflated due to the triple premierships which he wasnt a major contributor to, and the popularity of the way he plays as opposed to actual impact.
Has really only had 1 elite year of Afl in 07.
Admittedly, injuries have played a major part in this, but people compare him to Brereton and Carey FFS!

Following AFL football is a waste of time. There are better things to do in life. Think of all time you spend travelling to and from games, standing in queues before the game and at half time, watching overpaid gorillas chase a piece of leather, hurling abuse at the umpires, cursing the opposition guns, cursing your own team's duds, shuffling slowly out of the ground after the final siren, listening to shitty talkback radio, listening to shitty radio commercials, watching godawful TV panel shows, reading insipid newspaper articles, pre-season fluff pieces about Jobe & Timmy Watson, listening to Channel 7's crappy commentary, Bruce and Dennis tossing each other off and swearing at your TV screen like a crazy man, daydreaming of your team winning the Grand Final, posting mindless crap on Big Footy, arguing with some imbecile over who was better: Tredrea or Riewoldt? Hird or Buckley? .... and for what? Was your life improved? Did it help you achieve your goals? Did you wake up and find yourself living in a Toorak mansion with a beautiful wife and $10,000,000 in your bank account? All it really did was temporarily distract you from the miserable reality that your life sucks.

AFL football is like heroin: it's heavy users suffer through long periods of drawn-o

ut anticipation and irritation, the occasional fleeting high, interspersed with a zombified, stupefied state of existence, their body and mind slowly rotting as the years tick by, the world passing them by.

Enjoy your AFL, schmucks. Here's some highlights of Peter Daicos brought to you by McDonalds cheeseburgers and Carlton United Breweries.

Interesting that you think everyone has the same goal. How is that beautiful of yours by the way?

People who don't "waste time" don't exist. There is no person on this Earth who is 100% hell-bent on achieving their goals, whatever they may be. They need downtime and as far as downtime goes following the AFL is not a bad way to go... certainly it isn't like heroin. Heroin is a chemical addiction whilst following the AFL, at best, could be described as an arousal addiction. The world passes everybody by my friend - I'm sure you want Steve Jobs to be remembered but sadly he won't be and neither will you or I. Looking at it that way, its a waste of time for you to pursue your goals... simply enjoy yourself and let others enjoy themselves.

"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football". Albert Camus. Football is a great teacher.

Buddy kicks at 57% for career accuracy. That's as good as most key forwards and a little better than the overall average the last few years. If you were privy to his heat maps, you would also see he takes more shots on angles and in general play than any other forward. In finals he averages more goals than in the home and away season and kicks at a staggering 67% accuracy in finals. He has won so many games for us. I don't think you know what you're talking about regarding his goal kicking. Are you another one on this website who thinks his contested marking is poor as well despite him being top 5 in the comp for contested marks this year? Ah well everyone has there opinions.

Perhaps it has become more apparent this year because of his inaccuracy. Its not overall accuracy that matters its that he misses the very easy ones that he should kick.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=1488&tid2=13&pid2=1771&type=T&fid1=S&fid2=S

Franklin has more behinds than goals this year and that isn't including his misses out of bounds on the full. LT has a very good accuracy this year and yet it doesn't matter. Both of these players need to be mentally stronger when the easy goals are in front of them - they simply must score. Let's call it Sam Stosur syndrome - when presented with the easy they mentally fold under the pressure of expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back