What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSteele22

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just because a game might have a lopsided free kick count, doesn't mean it was umpired poorly. Free kicks are there to be paid when necessary, not to be distributed out evenly.

I'm always staggered by the amount of nuff nuff's who bring up the free kick count when arguing their side was hard done by, it's literally no indication of whether a game was well umpired or not.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Judging by the cheer Boyd got when he went up to receive his GF medal I am positive Bulldog supporters couldn't give a rat's anus about his pay packet and his output during the H&A rounds. He is coming along nicely and we are confident Jason McCartney is managing the list and the cap so all our players are paid what they are worth.

I would say the cheer was big mainly because he had a ripper game and a pretty good finals series. I still don't think most dogs fans would say he's earning his mil a yr.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would say the cheer was big mainly because he had a ripper game and a pretty good finals series. I still don't think most dogs fans would say he's earning his mil a yr.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know close to one hundred Dogs members, mixture of friends and family and can't remember anyone ever mentioning his contract.
It seems the only people who continue to bring it up are sections of the media and supporters of other clubs.

The trade period should be modified somewhat to create more of a television event. Here's my proposal:
  • The trade period is reduced to 72 hours. Trades can be made at any time during this period.
  • Each club elects 3 representatives, who are placed in the "trade zone" for the duration of the trade period.
  • The "trade zone" is a small, sealed building (a conference centre or, preferably, the Big Brother house). All trades must be completed by the clubs' representatives in the trade zone.
  • No one may enter and no one may leave the trade zone for the duration of the trade period.
  • The club representatives have access to a statistics database, BigFooty, and landline telephones. No other entertainment is provided.
  • Club representatives are given food and water rations as they complete trades. This is the only way that food and water may be procured, although clubs may trade rations.
  • The whole event is filmed by hidden cameras and broadcast live on 7mate.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I don't give a rats ring about Libba and his "Tour of Vietnam". Every ******* footy media outlet has an update on it once an hour.
Ah you beat me to it.

I hate the recent social media obsession with Liberatore - he comes across as an unlikable and flog person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Dane Swan's prime (ages 25-29, 2009-2013) stands up there with any footballer of the past 30 years:

119 of a possible 124 games (including finals), for 85 wins (71.43% winning percentage)
31.86 disposals per game (38.82% contested)
5.81 clearances per game
4.96 inside 50s per game
1.01 goals per game
0.81 goal assists per game
1.34 running bounces per game
121.67 Champion Data Player Ranking Score average
1.02 Brownlow votes per game (including four straight top-three finishes in the count)

Still don't think he quite gets the respect he deserves for his consistent brilliance over that five year period, especially considering his lack of natural athleticism and pedigree compared to his contemporaries (eg. Judd, Ablett Jnr).

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dane Swan's prime (ages 25-29, 2009-2013) stands up there with any footballer of the past 30 years:

119 of a possible 124 games (including finals), for 85 wins (71.43% winning percentage)
5.81 clearances per game
4.96 inside 50s per game
1.01 goals per game
1.02 Brownlow votes per game (including four straight top-three finishes in the count)

Still don't think he quite gets the respect he deserves for his consistent brilliance over that five year period, especially considering his lack of natural athleticism and pedigree compared to his contemporaries (eg. Judd, Ablett Jnr).
I love Swanny, one of my top 5 favourite players I have watched play. I don't think people appreciate how good he was, Literally got the most of himself and is a 100% Hall of famer.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL

5.81 clearances per game
4.96 inside 50s per game
1.01 goals per game

Had he not gotten injured in 2012(he missed 4 games) he would of won back to back Brownlows. Was a massive favorite in 2010 and missed out on 2013 by 2 votes. A marginally better injury and a few votes pinched here and there could of turned the 1 Brownlow medal in 3 or 4 of them over that period. Im sure the same argument could be made over GAJ in the same period, but its an incredible period none the less.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
The trade period should be modified somewhat to create more of a television event. Here's my proposal:
  • The trade period is reduced to 72 hours. Trades can be made at any time during this period.
  • Each club elects 3 representatives, who are placed in the "trade zone" for the duration of the trade period.
  • The "trade zone" is a small, sealed building (a conference centre or, preferably, the Big Brother house). All trades must be completed by the clubs' representatives in the trade zone.
  • No one may enter and no one may leave the trade zone for the duration of the trade period.
  • The club representatives have access to a statistics database, BigFooty, and landline telephones. No other entertainment is provided.
  • Club representatives are given food and water rations as they complete trades. This is the only way that food and water may be procured, although clubs may trade rations.
  • The whole event is filmed by hidden cameras and broadcast live on 7mate.

instead of being rewarded with food and water, I would use conjugal visits by morning radio personalities....

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
The AFL has accidentally created a monster (Essendon list next few years.) And its the only thing that can stop their GWS.

Uh what?

Fine to have that opinion, but where do you get that idea from?

Essendon werent a threat before, and they've lost a number of good players since, and gained not that much.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The AFL has accidentally created a monster (Essendon list next few years.) And its the only thing that can stop their GWS.

hmmm interesting take on your situation. IMO having 14 players miss a whole year of footy means they will struggle with match fitness and bodies likely to be unconditioned for the demands of the season and likely to have a long injury list. Jobe will be 32 at the start of the year so has 1 maybe 2 more seasons left. Joe Daniher is still along way from being considered a capably AFL footballer and you have little else in terms of key position fwd until Francis proves himself (which i think he will)

I think 2017 you will finish bottom 4, with Carlton, Brisbane and Port Adelaide. You will probably climb progressively with a strong midfield with Parish, Merrett, McGrath & Heppell but will still be behind young gun sides like Dogs, GWS, Saints, Melbourne for at least 5 years.

Bark Maguley

All Australian
Jun 2, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Counter Logic Gaming
Uh what?

Fine to have that opinion, but where do you get that idea from?

Essendon werent a threat before, and they've lost a number of good players since, and gained not that much.
Just sit and watch bud quote me

Get that idea from being on the verge of success in 2012-2014 coupled with the addition of some top end talent and who we found last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back