Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This is Part 2 of this thread.

Part 1 can be found here:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/what-unpopular-afl-opinions-do-you-have.956259/

=====================

Interested to hear some of the unpopular opinions people have and why.

For me:
1. I like Andrew Demitriou. I believe he has done a good job developing the game's brand. I like his no nonsense attitude in interviews.
2. I believe the games rules should be reviewed and sometimes changed. Players get better, coaches develop new tactics and strategies and so the game changes. Having a good institution to review the state of the game as a spectacle is healthy.
3.Lance Franklin isn't in the top few players in the league. That's not to say he couldn't become the very best player in the AFL. He misses too many easy goals. Anyone who has played sport knows that a failure to reward effort is deflating. He needs to become more accurate. This goes for all forwards - Kurt Tippett, Nick Riewoldt and our Lindsay Thomas of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Dons and Blues should amalgamate

Saints and Dees should amalgamate

Bullies and North should amalgamate.

I agree this is an unpopular AFL opinion. Some argue North and Dons should amalgamate.

Obvious troll is obvious.

flojo

All Australian
Jul 28, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, i wanna like him, but you have articulated exactly why it is hard...

it is not my opinion of him that is in question... it is my opinion of his opinion of himself that is always in question.

Tries so hard to be liked that you can’t like him because of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the_big_sav

Premiership Player
May 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
before ppl jump on north bandwagon remember higgins has missed 1 game as has tarrant. we have been blessed by lack of injuries.

if we had 4 of our top 6 from b&f missing like blues have had on occasion (higgins cunnington brown Tarrant ziebell mcdonal gibson) wed be garbage.

we play
freo in freo
bris home
geel at geel

if we win 2 of 3 we are 7 and 5 at bye then maybe start talking about how we have changed peoples perceptions. even then we are 2 or 3 injuries away from being rabble-ish

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Care to elaborate?

Sure :)

North - Worst list - Playing very well
Collingwood - Average list - Playing very well.
GWS - Excellent list - playing average (injuries a factor).
StKilda - Reasonable list - playing poorly
Essendon Reasonable list - playing poorly.
Footscray - Good list - playing poorly.
Richmond - Excellent list, but not the leagues best - benchmark.

Don't get me wrong. A good list is important but I place much greater value on the mindset of the players, good coaches, development and culture. Based on the examples above, I don't think the correlation between having a good list and being a good team is that strong.

Only my opinion :)

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
before ppl jump on north bandwagon remember higgins has missed 1 game as has tarrant. we have been blessed by lack of injuries.

if we had 4 of our top 6 from b&f missing like blues have had on occasion (higgins cunnington brown Tarrant ziebell mcdonal gibson) wed be garbage.

we play
freo in freo
bris home
geel at geel

if we win 2 of 3 we are 7 and 5 at bye then maybe start talking about how we have changed peoples perceptions. even then we are 2 or 3 injuries away from being rabble-ish

I rate north but fielded the oldest 22 this week. Benefiting enormously from Waite and Higgins playing so well.

the_big_sav

Premiership Player
May 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
I rate north but fielded the oldest 22 this week. Benefiting enormously from Waite and Higgins playing so well.

excactly. our best (and older/experienced players) are all playing near p.b seasons and have missed little football between them.

just wait for a few injuries and everyone turns saying this is the REAL north melbourne

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sure :)

North - Worst list - Playing very well
Collingwood - Average list - Playing very well.
GWS - Excellent list - playing average (injuries a factor).
StKilda - Reasonable list - playing poorly
Essendon Reasonable list - playing poorly.
Footscray - Good list - playing poorly.
Richmond - Excellent list, but not the leagues best - benchmark.

Don't get me wrong. A good list is important but I place much greater value on the mindset of the players, good coaches, development and culture. Based on the examples above, I don't think the correlation between having a good list and being a good team is that strong.

Only my opinion :)
Fair call. And I don’t necessarily disagree, but guess it comes down to what defines a ‘good list’, and the fact that those who analyze lists have as little idea as the next bloke!

I think we could now make a case to suggest that a ‘good list’ is one that wins football games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back