Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, what's it got to do with Freo? If anyone would be feeling aggrieved surely it's Essendon, given they are playing Sydney in the week that Buddy got reprieved?

Really? straight elbow to the noggin of a Freo player and you ask what it has to do with Freo?...... did you recently borrow Willies bong?

Buddy getting off just because he is Buddy, thats what happens with all the big name players while Hartigan sticks an elbow in Sam Walshs head and gets 3 weeks, also Bruce McAvaney getting hyped up if Dusty goes within 50 meters of the ball

Umpiring isn't any better or worse than it has been throughout history. I picked up a box set of Hawthorn matches from JB (12 bucks for 6 games a bargain) and watched a cracking game between North and the Hawks from 1987. I reckon there were at least six run down tackles where the ball was not handballed or kicked which weren't paid as holding the ball but the moment a player picked it up off the ground and couldn't get it out - bang holding the ball. The centre bounces were all over the shop. I remember why the position was called ruck-rover - cos by accident they were contesting a heap of centre bounces. And geez, you merely had to touch the ball for it to be paid a mark. Check out Kelvin Templeton's mark here - no way is that controlled

That being said, one thing they did do that was good was they'd call a ball up earlier and get it moving with no fuss instead of having to ask for nominations, checking the path behind them is clear, etc. I reckon it helped move the game.

Umpiring isn't any better or worse than it has been throughout history. I picked up a box set of Hawthorn matches from JB (12 bucks for 6 games a bargain) and watched a cracking game between North and the Hawks from 1987. I reckon there were at least six run down tackles where the ball was not handballed or kicked which weren't paid as holding the ball but the moment a player picked it up off the ground and couldn't get it out - bang holding the ball. The centre bounces were all over the shop. I remember why the position was called ruck-rover - cos by accident they were contesting a heap of centre bounces. And geez, you merely had to touch the ball for it to be paid a mark. Check out Kelvin Templeton's mark here - no way is that controlled

That being said, one thing they did do that was good was they'd call a ball up earlier and get it moving with no fuss instead of having to ask for nominations, checking the path behind them is clear, etc. I reckon it helped move the game.

with the whole mark thing, Gary Ablett sr "mark of the century", 1994, its not a mark yet umpys still pay it

Ive never heard a bad word about Dusty except for that chopstick thing when he was younger.

Hes a gun every club would love to have.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
he is very over rated though, Bruce McAvaney gets hyped up if he is within 50 meters of the ball, "dusty gonna do something dangerous here", hes 50 mts away, COME ON GUYS, get over it

I have been listening to callers into radio shows saying umpiring is the worst ever this year since the late 70s. As long as there are umpires people will complain no matter what

he is very over rated though, Bruce McAvaney gets hyped up if he is within 50 meters of the ball, "dusty gonna do something dangerous here", hes 50 mts away, COME ON GUYS, get over it
thats the idiot media.

Dusty... cyril... buddy... the package... etc

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Contests and stoppages (not repeat stoppages) are better than uncontested kick to kick ring around the rosie keepings off style football that is slowly becoming the norm.

yup agreed. That Geelong/Collingwood game was one of the worst games I have ever seen. Was atrocious. I would much prefer a heavy contested stoppage game to that nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL should stop messing with the rules and just make the goals bigger if they are so desperate for higher scoring.

OR, clubs could revert back to recruiting naturally gifted 'footballers' who have some athletic ability rather than supreme athletes who play football...?

It's no secret why the recent woeful conversion from set-shots at goal is mainly due to players having little or no skill based routine...

Last edited:
Gary Moorcrofts Mark of the Year is the most overrated highlight in history of the sport. The height at which the ball was grabbed was barely 8 feet high, and several times per normal AFL game a mark is taken that high. One short arse, jumped off the middle of another short arses back with outstretched arms.

As a comparison, if he were on a basketball court his hands barely touched the bottom of the net.
On that logic a ruckman taking a simple vertical jumping mark is better. He still takes hangers in local footy. In his 40s now id say.

Gary Moorcrofts Mark of the Year is the most overrated highlight in history of the sport. The height at which the ball was grabbed was barely 8 feet high, and several times per normal AFL game a mark is taken that high. One short arse, jumped off the middle of another short arses back with outstretched arms.

As a comparison, if he were on a basketball court his hands barely touched the bottom of the net.
Given that I'm going through this thread a month or so later, this stands out.

That mark is the greatest mark in history not because of the height, or the hangtime, or any of the normal means by which we judge a mark. Gary Moorcroft's mark is the greatest mark in history because above and beyond all else, he had no right to be marking that ball. Too high, too short, too limited in terms of height and outnumbered two on one, yet he wanted it more. He didn't just climb; he climbed, then needed to leap up and back, using what small power he could get out of the sparse movement of his thighs to change his position and get even higher and a half a metre further back. He hurt himself when he hit the ground; when a player takes a mark that they're never the same after, it kind of sticks with you.

That was the ultimate, the pinnacle of what you want when watching this game. A bloke able to do the impossible - and it was the impossible - because he simply wanted it more.

Once upon a time, used to be this sport was a sport for humans of all sizes, that the only real difference between the good and the great was those who wanted it more. This was a sport for the skilled and the most able, but it used to be that the real difference was mental, the ability to push through pain, through weakness, beyond your physical limitations and into history. Not so much nowdays.

Install a Tasmanian team pronto and get rid of the Gold Coast. Don't tell me about TV revenue or crowd numbers. Does the AFL want an all Australian competition and a strong Aussie rules base in Tassie or do they want to keep flogging the dead horse and pour endless money into a lost cause.
The Gold Coast can go to hell ( or Connaught)

Install a Tasmanian team pronto and get rid of the Gold Coast. Don't tell me about TV revenue or crowd numbers. Does the AFL want an all Australian competition and a strong Aussie rules base in Tassie or do they want to keep flogging the dead horse and pour endless money into a lost cause.
The Gold Coast can go to hell ( or Connaught)

As a younger man myself, you really see 18-25 year olds wanting to live in Tassie?

Gold Coast are a shambles but one thing they have going for them is the geographic. The glitter strip ain't for everyone but it sure as hell beats Tassie for the younger blokes!

As a younger man myself, you really see 18-25 year olds wanting to live in Tassie?

Gold Coast are a shambles but one thing they have going for them is the geographic. The glitter strip ain't for everyone but it sure as hell beats Tassie for the younger blokes!
As someone in that age bracket, I wouldn't want to live in Geelong but some do. Actually, on second thought, that probably explains the age demographic of the Cats

As someone in that age bracket, I wouldn't want to live in Geelong but some do. Actually, on second thought, that probably explains the age demographic of the Cats

Fair points, but a couple of things to think about though:

Geelong has far more players from the Geelong/Surf Coast region in the AFL than Tassie has players. Less of a go home factor or in Tassies case a stay factor.

Geelong has the surf coast at its disposal which is a huge drawcard for blokes like Danger who love their surfing.

Geelong is also an hour and bit from Melbourne by car, Tassie doesn't have that either. Sure you could argue a flight but it's just not the same, plus the expenses.

Geelong also is a club with significant history and success. You can't compare that to a startup club which is hollow in comparison.

Nice attempt at a cheap shot there at the end though, good on ya

Fair points, but a couple of things to think about though:

Geelong has far more players from the Geelong/Surf Coast region in the AFL than Tassie has players. Less of a go home factor or in Tassies case a stay factor.

Geelong has the surf coast at its disposal which is a huge drawcard for blokes like Danger who love their surfing.

Geelong is also an hour and bit from Melbourne by car, Tassie doesn't have that either. Sure you could argue a flight but it's just not the same, plus the expenses.

Geelong also is a club with significant history and success. You can't compare that to a startup club which is hollow in comparison.

Nice attempt at a cheap shot there at the end though, good on ya
Maybe Tasmania will have a team that consists of players who train hard, play to win and then enjoy good food and quiet lifestyle. Probably not interested in making media headlines for being a dick in public. Most AFL players are like this.

Toby Greene is the best player in the comp. Operates in a forward line without much support and rises when the chips are down. Much less reliant on team mates than others in the conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back