Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread title: “What unpopular AFL opinions do you have?”

FYI he retired. Just in case anybody missed it.
People keep mentioning the thread title as if it means there can't be a discussion around their unpopular opinion. Not sure that's the idea of a forum.

Cam Guthrie is a plodder. Glorified link-up player at best. No Cat starts more centre bounces than he does but his clearance numbers are quite poor, he ranks average for tackles and below average for pressure acts; doesn't hit the scoreboard and doesn't launch any big attacks forward. Solid link man and accumulator, but nowhere near worth his hype as an elite midfielder.

The women's comp is more about PR that anything else
Yes there should be women's comp, but the Tassie team should have come before that
Just another case of AFL house saying "Look at us aren't we wonderful for having a women's comp"

And an expensive PR exercise at that, north of $70M and counting with no obvious revenue models apparent thus far..? Of course any hint of criticism regarding the AFLW, irrespective of it being factual or constructive, is usually labeled as discriminatory/misogynist/sexist hate speech...!

And an expensive PR exercise at that, north of $70M and counting with no obvious revenue models apparent thus far..? Of course any hint of criticism regarding the AFLW, irrespective of it being factual or constructive, is usually labeled as discriminatory/misogynist/sexist hate speech...!

The AFL has annual revenue of about $800m.

The $20m (assuming a full season) it spends each year on AFLw is a pretty inexpensive 'PR exercise' given that women make up 50% of the population and the AFLw is arguably already the most significant womens sporting competition in Australia.

It's a PR exercise that has no obvious revenue models aside from the 25,000 members, the corporate supporters like NAB and BHP and more, and the locked in TV deal. Interestingly, AFL and NRL have similar levels of tv viewing among men and across similar demographics, but the AFL has 50% more women viewers - a massive strength.

For what it's worth, the AFL paid $27.5m into the Gold Coast Suns last year. The Suns have 16,000 members, far lower profile corporate supporters, and the Gold Coast area has less potential as a target growth market. They have also been in existence far longer than the AFLw. If you are considering a Tassie team... the AFLw seems far less a 'PR exercise' to me.

I don't think people who criticise AFLW are necessarily sexist or discriminatory, they just seem to have an outsized dislike of something that they can simply avoid, and that costs the AFL a relatively small amount

The AFL has annual revenue of about $800m.

The $20m (assuming a full season) it spends each year on AFLw is a pretty inexpensive 'PR exercise' given that women make up 50% of the population and the AFLw is arguably already the most significant womens sporting competition in Australia.

It's a PR exercise that has no obvious revenue models aside from the 25,000 members, the corporate supporters like NAB and BHP and more, and the locked in TV deal. Interestingly, AFL and NRL have similar levels of tv viewing among men and across similar demographics, but the AFL has 50% more women viewers - a massive strength.

For what it's worth, the AFL paid $27.5m into the Gold Coast Suns last year. The Suns have 16,000 members, far lower profile corporate supporters, and the Gold Coast area has less potential as a target growth market. They have also been in existence far longer than the AFLw. If you are considering a Tassie team... the AFLw seems far less a 'PR exercise' to me.

I don't think people who criticise AFLW are necessarily sexist or discriminatory, they just seem to have an outsized dislike of something that they can simply avoid, and that costs the AFL a relatively small amount

Also consider the rise in females playing at the grassroots level which is the ultimate goal of the AFLW in my opinion.

I’m not sure if this is unpopular, but with the amount of praise it gets I think this is the thread for it.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why some players feel the need to act aggressive or physical towards an opposition player when unprovoked. I get it’s a part of the game even at grass root level, but I don’t understand why. Can you not just kick a goal and use that or the scoreboard as motivation instead of confronting the opposition and scuffling straight after kicking a goal?

I just think it’s so lame. An example is when players are walking off the field at half time and the one player that just kicked a goal close to half time pushes an opposition player for no reason. The other retaliates, the team mates get involved, they start to get lippy towards each other and now we have a scuffle just because someone decided to push another for no reason.

Some people call this trying to get a mental edge but really? You need to stoop that low to get motivated? I just don’t get it.

Despite the fact there is another thread or two dedicated to this:

Expand the AFL to 20 teams, include Tasmania and Canberra based teams, then split the competition into two,
with a Premier and Standard league.

To determine who plays in what league initially, give all clubs three years notice to either finish on average
above 10th on the ladder and/or not rely on 'extra' financial handouts from the AFL during or by the end of this period.

If extra financial handouts are a factor in your new league, will you ensure a fixture that provides each club the same opportunities for time slots and marquee fixtures?

Tom Hawkins has been the best player in the league over the last 4 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The minor premiership cup/McClelland trophy should be a thing, like it should be presented to the winning club after their final game of the home and away season (if they've clinched it then) or before their first final (if it hasn't been clinched or it's impractical to do it following the final game e.g. it's dependent on the results of games in Qld and WA and you can't have a helicopter flying around with the cup like they do in the UK).

It gets back to the mantra that we're brought up with that nothing but the premiership matters and yet there must be 8-10 cups that are randomly played for by two teams over the course of the season that most of us don't even remember. I mean even the name 'minor premiership', it's like they're already giving a backhanded compliment.

It would never have the currency of the premiership cup but it would instantly become the second most sought after trophy on offer and if the AFL kicked in some prize money for winning it, there may actually be some benefit to finishing first.

I'm not saying I would have loved it this year, but it would have made for a great moment with the officials hastily having to remove the white ribbons from the McLelland Trophy and replace them with red before presenting the trophy to Melbourne.

Also, not sure if this is unpopular, but the teams that finish first and fifth should get to choose their preferred opponent in week 1 from the teams that finished 3rd/4th or 7th/8th. Another slight advantage to finishing on top and it would give a bit of added motivation to the lower ranked team that was chosen as the preferred match up.

Last edited:
The minor premiership cup/McClelland trophy should be a thing, like it should be presented to the winning club after their final game of the home and away season (if they've clinched it then) or before their first final (if it hasn't been clinched or it's impractical to do it following the final game e.g. it's dependent on the results of games in Qld and WA and you can't have a helicopter flying around with the cup like they do in the UK.

It gets back to the mantra that we're brought up with that nothing but the premiership matters and yet there must be 8-10 cups that are randomly played for by two teams over the course of the season that most of us don't even remember. I mean even the name 'minor premiership', it's like they're already giving a backhanded compliment.

It would never have the currency of the premiership cup but it would instantly become the second most sought after trophy on offer and if the AFL kicked in some prize money for winning it, there may actually be some benefit to finishing first.

I not saying I would have loved it this year, but it would have made for a great moment with the officials hastily having to remove the white ribbons from the McLelland Trophy and replace them with red before presenting the trophy to Melbourne.

Also, not sure if this is unpopular, but the teams that finish first and fifth should get to choose their preferred opponent in week 1 from the teams that finished 3rd/4th or 7th/8th. Another slight advantage to finishing on top and it would give a bit of added motivation to the lower ranked team that was chosen as the preferred match up.

Agree on the first point, I think finishing top of a 22 game season is a huge effort and deserves to be recognised more.

Disagree on the last point as it removes the incentive to finish third over fourth, idea is that third gets an easier matchup. Obviously the system isn’t perfect as form and home ground advantages always come into play but overall it makes sense.

I do think though it could be tweaked so that in week 2 the highest rank loser from the qualifying finals plays the lowest ranked loser from the elimination finals.

E.g. if 1 and 3 loses, and 5 and 6 win, 1 should play 6 not 5 as they currently do.

Same with the prelim, I always think it’s unfair that if the higher ranked team wins all finals in weeks 1 and 2 that 2 gets an easier matchup then 1 in the prelim (based on ladder position).

EDIT: For clarity that would mean this week it would be:

Melbourne v Bulldogs
Port v Geelong

Last edited:
If extra financial handouts are a factor in your new league, will you ensure a fixture that provides each club the same opportunities for time slots and marquee fixtures?

My proposal is conceptual, you're asking for details.
I guess if the teams involved in the usual 'marquee' matches are in the same league/division for their H&A fixtures then there would be little change, although a few annual derbies may not be possible.

Carlton could make top 4
West coast will come bottom 4
North Could come top 12
Neale will go to west coast
Dees can get Adam Cerra
The suns could come in the top 10
Zac Williams is alright
Getting rid of Ad's was the right call

I used to think the McLelland Trophy deserves a higher status, but with an 18 team comp and heavily compromised draw it doesn't mean what it once did.
Intrigued on your logic about how having more teams diminishes it - I would have thought finishing on top of a longer ladder would carry more weight.

take your point re the draw

The minor premiership cup/McClelland trophy should be a thing, like it should be presented to the winning club after their final game of the home and away season (if they've clinched it then) or before their first final (if it hasn't been clinched or it's impractical to do it following the final game e.g. it's dependent on the results of games in Qld and WA and you can't have a helicopter flying around with the cup like they do in the UK).

I'm not saying I would have loved it this year, but it would have made for a great moment with the officials hastily having to remove the white ribbons from the McLelland Trophy and replace them with red before presenting the trophy to Melbourne.

The McLelland trophy could be made more prestigious with one simple change: don't award it every year.

Award it only if you finish top and then go on to win the GF. Present it on the dais after the game and make it a distinctively better looking trophy than the premiership cup. Keep totals of who has won them.

It would actually be something aspire to.

The McLelland trophy could be made more prestigious with one simple change: don't award it every year.

Award it only if you finish top and then go on to win the GF. Present it on the dais after the game and make it a distinctively better looking trophy than the premiership cup. Keep totals of who has won them.

It would actually be something aspire to.
Didn't it used to be accumulation of the firsts, seconds and under 19s points? It was a champion club type trophy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back