Remove this Banner Ad

WillHayward

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I'd love longer seasons and shorter games
I find games too long but the season too short. I have no problems with 18 minute quarters. 15 minute half time .

If you dont play finals - so most sides, a season from April to August is fairly short.

I also love Thursday and Monday games!!

Jack Green

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
This 'inclusion' nonsense going way too far, to the point of exclusion. As I was leaving the function, the club President thanks me for attending and my son's contribution during the season and politely asked if I'd enjoyed the evening?
I couldn't help myself - given the ludicrous amount of trophies and awards presented during the night - and sarcastically replied; "I'm a bit disappointed I didn't win a trophy, I mean I did help out on the BBQ a few times..?"
Yeah the no prize for second best and, winners are winners and losers please themselves, attitude gets a bit of a shellacking these days.

I don't follow basketball[ and someone might know the specifics to this story] -about one of the gun basketball legends in America. His son got a participation award at the end his side's season. The legend dad said to the club, if he wins the most points or best player or whatever give him the trophy- if he doesn't give him nothing.
I feel the same . Builds resilience , but society in general has certainly gone down a different viewpoint.

bjwilliams

All Australian
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's the way society has gone isn't it? 8th best and fairest. :oops: Won't be long before school's stop achievement awards and dux of college, because the students who miss out will be devastated and everyone deserves a prize and some recognition.
The real winner will be the trophy shops . Might open one up myself. 👍
This is the thing that bothers me, everyone comments like it's the kids calling for all these participation awards and stuff and it never has been. This is boomer parents who can't handle that their kid wasn't good enough to win something so wanted them to leave with a trophy. Blame the >45 year old parents who started this crap, not the kids who aren't the ones asking for it.

Breretonisahood

Senior List
Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd love longer seasons and shorter games
I find games too long but the season too short. I have no problems with 18 minute quarters. 15 minute half time .

If you dont play finals - so most sides, a season from April to August is fairly short.

I also love Thursday and Monday games!!
On this topic, why IS the season so short? It’s been a 22 match season since 1970, despite the fact that players are now fully professional, earn much more than they did in 1970, there are now no state games, no night series - just 22 games. Looks like the AFLPA have done a great job upping players pay for no extra matches. Should be at least a 28 game season.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Hermit Kingdom of Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
The attitude and language of 'not getting one's pants pulled down' is mainly thanks to the modern sensibilities and progressive thinking members of our society imploring people to celebrate one's mere participation in any sporting event, not the scores or result. I've generally no issue with this ideology (the game was the real winner etc.) but the common sense train, in a practically seems to have well and truly shot past the station..!

At the last footy club trophy night I attended a few years ago, my youngest son 'won' a trophy for '8th runner up' in their B&F..! A few parents even received 'reignition awards' for simply filling in as goal umpires for a few games..?

We're actually not too far away from songs such as 'We are the Champions' and 'There ain't no 2nd prize' being shunned at sporting events, given their related 'non-inclusive' themes..!
Melbourne awards the Dick Taylor Medal for 5th Best and Fairest, so it's not just junior sport. If I'm not mistaken, they named the runner-up medals as far back as the 50s. (Pretty sure there are a few other clubs who award a specific medal for all of the top five.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad