Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Based off Gerard Wheatley and some others, people don't seem to like the overlapping Friday night games but i think its a great idea personally and hope it works
SA footy fans have been crying out for the opportunity to have the Showdown on a Friday night with maximum eyeballs on it for years. To finally get one but have to share it where it’s likely most Victorians will be watching Essendon v Melbourne and I assume channel 7 will have that game is a bit of a slap in the face.

SA footy fans have been crying out for the opportunity to have the Showdown on a Friday night with maximum eyeballs on it for years. To finally get one but have to share it where it’s likely most Victorians will be watching Essendon v Melbourne and I assume channel 7 will have that game is a bit of a slap in the face.
It's discrimination against serial killers.

I think the Essendon game will cease to be a contest the quickest

The choice of using the showdown as the other game i will admit was a bit dense however i hope the idea itself takes off

Agree. Starting the Melbourne game an hour earlier would've been better. Or having the second game in Perth.

Just reading about the Brownlow chances and the AFL.com predictor, it has Touk Miller down for two votes for the weekend.

This is nothing against Miller and the only reason my club allegiance factors in is because I watched the game closely but: seriously? He played well, but Geelong should have won by 80+. Unless someone pulled a Gary Ablett and had like 45 and 2, Suns players shouldn't really be in the discussion.

I don't care which Geelong players get in those votes. I know that no Geelong player is likely to even finish in the top 15. But if it's that easy for a Brownlow fancy to be gifted votes, something is seriously wrong here. There's got to be some reason that the winners now are polling low-mid 30 votes every year (which rules out any non-midfielder from ever winning again). And it would seem to me that the higher the winner's tallies have gone, the more boring the event has been.

Ken Stinkley should not still be employed

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Rutten for Hinkley.

Who says no first?

Marvel stadium (docklands ground) has killed the on field success of the clubs that call it home. Since it’s beginning in 2000, only two flags from the clubs that have called it home. Essendon in 2000, is sort of a outlier because it was their first season there and also the Bulldogs in 2016. Even this very season, with 5 clubs playing out of there. Only 1 will make finals. I’m not exactly sure why, is it the roof, the surface, the ground size and shape, the play style that all of the above creates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reading about the Brownlow chances and the AFL.com predictor, it has Touk Miller down for two votes for the weekend.

This is nothing against Miller and the only reason my club allegiance factors in is because I watched the game closely but: seriously? He played well, but Geelong should have won by 80+. Unless someone pulled a Gary Ablett and had like 45 and 2, Suns players shouldn't really be in the discussion.

I don't care which Geelong players get in those votes. I know that no Geelong player is likely to even finish in the top 15. But if it's that easy for a Brownlow fancy to be gifted votes, something is seriously wrong here. There's got to be some reason that the winners now are polling low-mid 30 votes every year (which rules out any non-midfielder from ever winning again). And it would seem to me that the higher the winner's tallies have gone, the more boring the event has been.

I'm a huge fan of Touk Miller's, and he should rightfully get a lot of votes this year - I've watched a lot of Suns games where he has tried his guts out and had an impact and willed himself to lead the Suns to greater heights.

But you're right - he played ok on the weekend and can hold his head high, but by virtue of the scoreline and the actual play on the day there were at least 3, 2 and 1 better Geelong players than Miller.

But it's a Midfielder's Medal and getting very dull for it (unlike the thrilling recreation depicted in my Avatar!).

Marvel stadium (docklands ground) has killed the on field success of the clubs that call it home. Since it’s beginning in 2000, only two flags from the clubs that have called it home. Essendon in 2000, is sort of a outlier because it was their first season there and also the Bulldogs in 2016. Even this very season, with 5 clubs playing out of there. Only 1 will make finals. I’m not exactly sure why, is it the roof, the surface, the ground size and shape, the play style that all of the above creates.

Another factor could be that MCG teams have generally been more destination clubs and attract bigger stars due to a) being ‘big clubs’ and b) having games at the G as selling points.

Success also breeds more success with culture, better player development, trades and FA. Hawks, Tigers and Pies have all benefitted from this. Compared with say North and Bombers - it’s a vicious cycle

I think it’s also coincidence and happenstance Saints could have easily won 2 flags for example.

There’s also 4 Marvel teams and 5 G teams, so statistically it’s more likely too.

Edit: 20 years isn’t a big enough sample size to be sure there’s any correlation either

Last edited:
Roof.

The Brownlow is a terribly flawed system. The problem you mention is just one of them.

Docklands is just a s**t stadium generally. Completely sterile atmosphere when the roof is closed. Why would a playing group be inspired to perform while they play in a concrete bunker?

Is it an unpopular opinion to consider the Brownlow medal a complete waste of time? From the outdated 3-2-1 voting system to getting the umpires of all people to vote on it as well as the fact that it's a jumped-up state league award, I find the whole enterprise to be completely pointless.

Even the TV broadcast recognises this, as they long ago decided that the count was a waste of time so they rush through it as quick as they can in order to have more time for tedious segments where they interview boring players or have some generic band play boring songs.

is that still ultimately a midfielder's award, though?
Pretty much, but it's far more robust than the 3-2-1 system of the Brownlow. Forwards and backs are far more likely to get coaches votes than Brownlow votes, and the coaches also give votes depending on the role that players are playing.

Midfielders will win most medals, because they're the best players. At least coaches votes are given by the people who know best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back