Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Falcon3518

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't care about the Hawthorn historical racism story. prove it with facts or move on.. case closed.

After Goodes I stopped caring. It’s guilty until proven innocent now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sky

Prince Pretty
Feb 14, 2021
ADL
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
After Goodes I stopped caring. It’s guilty until proven innocent now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Even though you’re absolutely correct in that how it seems - it’s the worst shift that’s occurred worldwide.

If I got accused of something that’s life ruining and told I’m guilty until I’m proven innocent then I would have no hesitations on killing myself. Only a strong person wouldn’t.

Imagine everyone giving up on you and you’re innocent. Screw sticking around for people like that.

Hoops

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
I don't care about the Hawthorn historical racism story. prove it with facts or move on.. case closed.
There's no doubt Clarkson is a a-hole. But I'm yet to see that it's based on race. From my stand point he was an a-hole to all those that didn't have the win at all cost mentality that he did.

FreddyTwoShoes

Team Captain
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I suspect that if most fans (and most folks on this forum) tried to explain to an AFL coach what we think his team's "game plan" is, he'd politely agree with our analysis, but would be p155ing himself laughing on the inside about how little we really know.

Same goes for commentators. They have their "go to" phrases - "run and gun", "kick mark", blah blah blah, but they're as ignorant as the rest of us.

Engimal v3

https://www.stan.com.au/sport
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tasmania
I suspect that if most fans (and most folks on this forum) tried to explain to an AFL coach what we think his team's "game plan" is, he'd politely agree with our analysis, but would be p155ing himself laughing on the inside about how little we really know.

Same goes for commentators. They have their "go to" phrases - "run and gun", "kick mark", blah blah blah, but they're as ignorant as the rest of us.

Especially commentators that played 30+ years ago. Totally different game.

Jetafl

All Australian
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
Mundy was just a guy that played a long time in a s**t side.

What's his nickname?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Barra and for obvious reasons. But for the day at least the commentators were calling him the Ironman of the AFL at approx. 6 mins into the audio clip. (that title is very fitting that's for sure)

Last edited:

Ocha905

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Dallas teams, Liverpool
It's not that bad watching your team completely suck. These back 2 back spoon Roo's have been a decent viewing experience akin to a mystery where you're trying to see which players can be part of a core that starts climbing back up the ladder. Hell even the sheer levels of shitfullness can be entertaining. No expectations are a prerequisite to the fun though.
The depressing years to support are the ones that give you hope and have traits of a good football team but age, injuries, bad coaching, fatal structural flaws, weak mentality etc crush your spirit and prevent the team from reaching its potential. Eg North's 2013 and 2016 seasons.

Mr MysteryGuest

Premium Platinum
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why semis in week 2 though? In any knockout comp it's R16, quarters, semis, final. When you reach the point of having 4 teams playing off for 2 spots in the GF shouldn't those games be the semi finals?
3 rounds of finals vs 4. You can't call it a semi final 3/4 qtrs of the way there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreddyTwoShoes

Team Captain
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
3 rounds of finals vs 4. You can't call it a semi final 3/4 qtrs of the way there

How about:

Week 1: top 4 teams play in "The Smashinator", 5-8 play in "The Crashinator"
Week 2: top 2 get week off ("The Sleepinator"), while the rest play in "The Stressinator"
Week 3: (previously "Prelim") - "The GetReadyInator"
Week 4: "The Big Dance"

windyhill

Hall of Famer
Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
No real sympathy for sacked coaches. Rutten sacked, paid out handsomely by Essendon, picked up by richmond, he’d be on 60-70k. Ratten sacked by Stkilda, picked up by n.melb, again, he’d be on 60-70k.
Such an insular, incestous industry. Theses blokes would be laughing their tits off. Jobs for the boys to the absolute extreme.

Jim Levenstein

Senior List
Aug 17, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
No real sympathy for sacked coaches. Rutten sacked, paid out handsomely by Essendon, picked up by richmond, he’d be on 60-70k. Ratten sacked by Stkilda, picked up by n.melb, again, he’d be on 60-70k.
Such an insular, incestous industry. Theses blokes would be laughing their tits off. Jobs for the boys to the absolute extreme.
Experienced coaches with afl industry experience is hardly jobs for the boys, kinda seems integral skills for the role. And if 60-70k is the offering, massive deterrent to the talent pool. Who can live on that comfortably?

windyhill

Hall of Famer
Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Experienced coaches with afl industry experience is hardly jobs for the boys, kinda seems integral skills for the role. And if 60-70k is the offering, massive deterrent to the talent pool. Who can live on that comfortably?
Ex-coaches that get million dollar payouts.

windyhill

Hall of Famer
Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Last time I read the rules, max 6 month payout.
Ratten can’t just re-sign for three more years in June and then get flicked in October and only get a six month payout. Although the cushy new job from his old mate Clarkson would ease the pain, as so often happens in the insular boys club. Time after time

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team

Rutten would be on more surely (I know that adds to your point)? Ratten is PT so won't include him.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Ratten can’t just re-sign for three more years in June and then get flicked in October and only get a six month payout. Although the cushy new job from his old mate Clarkson would ease the pain, as so often happens in the insular boys club. Time after time
Ratts didn't get his full payout, only a partial sum equating to 6 months salary.

St Kilda cannot afford any more debt.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Engimal v3

https://www.stan.com.au/sport
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tasmania

I have nothing to back this up, but surely assistants are on more than 70k a year.

FRUMPY

Hall of Famer
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

i would presume they would be on a fair bit more than $60-$70k.....you'd hope so as an assistant coach

although reading into it, it appears they copped the brunt of the soft cap being slashed due to covid.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad