Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise that these calls are made in regards to their peers at their age level? Its not saying this kid is a better leader than Selwood, Hodge etc. It is saying that at their age they are showing great leadership ability compared to others in the u/18 comps.
I have no problem with scouts watching them. That a crucial part of the sport.

I have a big issue with the OTT love bombing.

Yes i realise that and I think its very weird and totally unnecessary.

Maybe you were just a crappy kid but it is indeed possible for teenagers to have great character and lead by example on the football field. Shifta’s hype might be a little much but it’s not fluff, it’s just exaggerated and because he’s told to say it. He’s paid by Fox Footy/AFL to deliver their product. He’d know exactly what weaknesses players have but if that isn’t wanted on TV then he can’t say it.

For what it’s worth, I would like more balanced analysis, more talk on improvement and less “every player is the next Gary Ablett” but is that what what you’re trying to argue? You sound like your problem is blokes watching underage football to gauge good talent.
Yes and its a crap product he's been told to sell.

That's my point.

99% of recruiters don't use this type of language at all.

I'm referring to the marketing spin which is ridiculous snd used by a handful of well-paid spruikers.

I'm entitled to be annoyed by it.

I don't except that all marketing is good marketing and that all marketing is inevitable to "sell" something.

It's an industry that deserves ongoing critique and should not be just accepted no matter what crap they serve us up.

I don't accept that 100% of horseshit served up by marketers we just have to swallow with nonoush back and no questioning.

People in marketing are just regular s**t people. Not gods.

I have no problem with scouts watching them. That a crucial part of the sport.

I have a big issue with the OTT love bombing.

Yes i realise that and I think its very weird and totally unnecessary.
Why is it weird to suggest that a kid is a good leader or has great ball use etc? I really don't understand how that annoys you so much.

Really?

You think calling a 17yo a great "leader" and of "great character" and a "star" is all valid?

It's totally nonsense brainwashing.

Not heard a a single OTT comment watching the soccer coverage and these players are actually world class athletes. All i hear is "good shift" and that isabout the highest of praise.
None of this everyone is a "superstar" crap.

It's flat out embarrassing.

But obviously you are all in 100% on aussie rules marketing propaganda.

The reason these terms are used is to market to parents and children.

It's ridiculously transparent.

But each to their own.
Wow - that's one of the weirdest posts I have seen on Bigfooty, especially combined with your earlier post making it a sex thing.

And the average age of the afl is 25. What's your point? You're comparing apples to oranges when you're cherry picking one team v a whole league.
So many afl apologists in the thread on unpopular opinions. Which is amusing.

My point is the afl youth obsession is OTT and sub optimal.

It's not the fault of clubs. Clubs are optimizing the system they have been handed by HQ.

I'll keep going. I also believe

1. U18 should be replaced by u19s
2. Minimum draft age should be 18

Hawthorn average age in 2023 is 23. That's just ridiculous. The comp is supposed to be the number 1 comp I'm thr land. Not a development league.

By contrast the average age in the epl is 26.
Why is an average age of 23 ridiculous? Hawthorn's average age in 2008 was 22, not bad for a 'development' list.

So many afl apologists in the thread on unpopular opinions. Which is amusing.
I am not an apologist at all. Just pointing out that was a terrible comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the average age of the afl is 25. What's your point? You're comparing apples to oranges when you're cherry picking one team v a whole league.
Quiv you’ve had a “day off” for months. Has someone spent $3000 to get you “permanently banned” because that’s what I’m assuming 🤣

Taking a player off the ground, after they have kicked a goal, is ridiculous

Name another sport in the world where you would potentially take your best player off, to get your 18th best player on, and the reason that you have taken your best player off is not because they are tired, but because they have done their job and scored

Hell, in overseas sports this is the reason other teams frequently call time outs: to arrest opposition momentum and stop a player getting a taste for scoring in case the opposing team get a run on

In the AFL, teams are doing it to themselves and arresting their own momentum

There is a massive confirmation bias when commentators point this out.

When a player comes off the ground is because it was their scheduled time to come off, the fact they just scored a goal is purely coincidental

Old mate Hayward has taken the GF pounding well... Feels like there's a bit of built up tension champ. Go for a walk, get some fresh air and look forward to the Swannies being thereabouts but not quite good enough again next year.

If that doesn't do it for you, chuck on the 2016 GF replay. Always makes me feel better.

There is a massive confirmation bias when commentators point this out.

When a player comes off the ground is because it was their scheduled time to come off, the fact they just scored a goal is purely coincidental
And it's one of the worst parts of modern football.
All because of the move to soccer like flooding tactics over the last 10 or so years.

Speaking of David Mundy - I have the probably unpopular opinion that if you allow for KMs travelled his career longevity is more impressive than Brent Harvey’s.

Michael Tuck played 408 of his 426 games in Victoria. What a fraud.

Cal Twomey isn't an oracle and everyone needs to chill jerking him off after getting the first round right

He gets so many draft picks correct because he has good contacts with recruiters and draftees, not because of some sixth sense about footy
Haha wtf is this post? It's the thing that makes him great at his job.

Tuck's lack of football kilometres a real blight on his career.
I still don’t know if you’re being facetious or not.
But if you want to believe putting a 191cm body on a plane over 300 times in 17 years has no effect on career longevity you should probably take your science and apply for a job at Virgin.

On the draft chatter, the only bad and cringeworthy side of it is the massive private school suckfest.

Basically says to me that, if you are a public school kid, forget about pursuing footy at the elite level.

Same goes for other sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back