Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

smart clubs, are the ones with smart and effective people, that know how to take advantage of the situations. Pretty simple. Cheers
So I guess all clubs are 'smart clubs' then because in some way or another they make the most of some of the situations they find themselves in. Cheers for the insight.

AFLW shot itself in the foot. They should have been different clubs, now they are going to be spread wayyyyyy to thin talent wise.
If they were different clubs, almost no one on Bigfooty would even know the comp existed. How many had heard of womens football powerhouse, Darebin Falcons, prior to the first exhibition game?

If they were different clubs, almost no one on Bigfooty would even know the comp existed. How many had heard of womens football powerhouse, Darebin Falcons, prior to the first exhibition game?

Disagree with you on this. It still would have been on Tv and the afl site would still be running stories.

I’m not sure they should have had clubs come up from lower ranks but different teams would have been better. Higher quality and new teams means new jumpers and logos.

Disagree with you on this. It still would have been on Tv and the afl site would still be running stories.

I’m not sure they should have had clubs come up from lower ranks but different teams would have been better. Higher quality and new teams means new jumpers and logos.
I am not sure 7 is interested in broadcasting unknown womens teams, even for free. The 10k opening game doesnt happen if its not Carlton Collingwood.

To me, the biggest issue is, women are attracted by the idea of playing for the team they have followed all their lives, its a large part of the draw. I dont think you get nearly as many cross over athletes, I dont think the growth in player numbers is quite as steep. You also do not get the synergies that comes from putting a team into a footy club. In WA, Freo and WC will both have new facilities that cater for female players, and has the high performance aspect built in. I dont think they can replicate that in stand alone clubs, and if they try, it becomes ruinously expensive.

Is it inevitable with the re-location of North Melbourne?
The Stalinist's among us have forbidden such talk on the Hobart homes games thread, but any full time move to Tasmania sees the end of North Melbourne. The name goes, the colours go and club history goes into a msuem at Arden street alongside all those new apartment blocks they will probably build there next to the pool!
We should have a team playing out of Tasmania, but any re-location means all ties to the Melbourne base must be severed. A Tasmanian name and colours must be adopted in order to gain full supporter empathy form the entire state. Splitting home games between Hobart and Launceston. North need to tread carefully.

AFLW shot itself in the foot. They should have been different clubs, now they are going to be spread wayyyyyy to thin talent wise.
What so people could about it even less?

Forgive me for thinking both Stewart Dew and Sam Mitchell won't be the next Clarko unlike everyone else on here.

Heck half of my board are practically begging for Mitchell as an assistant coach. These two have done absolutely nothing to earn the rep they appear to have.

Forgive me for thinking both Stewart Dew and Sam Mitchell won't be the next Clarko unlike everyone else on here.

Heck half of my board are practically begging for Mitchell as an assistant coach. These two have done absolutely nothing to earn the rep they appear to have.

So Mitchell helping lead the worst midfield in the league (without Nic Nat) to a premiership doesn't mean much?

So Mitchell helping lead the worst midfield in the league (without Nic Nat) to a premiership doesn't mean much?

He already had the reputation I'm referring to before you won the premiership. The hype on our board and on here has been going on for years. People were majorly annoyed West Coast nabbed him as though it was such a big deal.

So did including Cam Mooney in the 1999 premiership team. Like for like imo

The interviews that he has done on radio impress people. He talks about coaching and tactics in a manner that is not only unusually competent, but masterful.

Sure he is unproven, but the WC flag is the first feather in his cap from his first attempt. He also has years working under Clarkson, and that is a commodity that is traded all the time between AFL clubs.

Do you want him..... * YES!

Will he be a great coach..... who knows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it inevitable with the re-location of North Melbourne?
The Stalinist's among us have forbidden such talk on the Hobart homes games thread, but any full time move to Tasmania sees the end of North Melbourne. The name goes, the colours go and club history goes into a msuem at Arden street alongside all those new apartment blocks they will probably build there next to the pool!
We should have a team playing out of Tasmania, but any re-location means all ties to the Melbourne base must be severed. A Tasmanian name and colours must be adopted in order to gain full supporter empathy form the entire state. Splitting home games between Hobart and Launceston. North need to tread carefully.

2025 it should happen by if they are efficient, 2030 if they drag their feet

The whole "he spent time under Clarko" thing is a croc of s**t.

It has some merit, but the Clarko 'disciples' all have impressive CVs other than being assistant coaches at Hawthorn.

Luke Beveridge coached successfully at lower grades and was at Collingwood under Malthouse when they won the flag in 2010.
Damien Hardwick played in flags under Sheedy and then Williams and then joined Hawthorn as an assistant for a few years.
Adam Simpson played in flags under Denis Pagan and then joined Hawthorn as an assistant for a few years.
Brendon Bolton is a bit different, but then he hasn't been successful taking over train wreck Carlton thus far.

I think it's good to have been a part of a coaching structure that was both successful and stable over a long period but it's not just as simple as 'was an assistant to Clarkson so must be good'. No doubt Clarkson (and whoever else recruits assistant coaches) targets assistants who can bring plenty to the table. They've currently got Sam Mitchell, Darren Glass and Scott Burns involved among others. That's a fair wealth of knowledge and experience to draw on. I don't know if Burns is any good, but he played under Malthouse, coached under Worsfold and Buckley and now coaches under Clarkson. That's a pretty reasonable apprenticeship.

Cant talk about dew but sheesh mitchell coached our sub par midfield to a flag.

Look at it on paper and collingwood has us covered five ways from sunday in the mid.

No naitanui or gaff too.

Sam mitchell is a smart footy brain who was a superstar without natural speed, height or athletic ability.

The kind of guy who gets the best out of himself when they dont have natural attributes is the kind of guy who you want coaching

Mitchell made a difference and no doubt his playing role in 2017 would have helped him build an idea of each player's capabilities but a fit Redden and Yeo playing full time in the middle also made a huge difference.

Redden is a better two way player than Priddis/Mitchell and Yeo is dynamic, so we finally had another player to complement Shuey. Cripps and Rioli at HF pushing up the ground also had a big impact on our ball movement.

If it wasn't for his injuries and subsequent fitness/game time issues, Naitanui would have been one of the best players of his generation and in GOAT ruck conversations.
The competition is definitely poorer for his injuries, he is way too heavy now to be able to bring his best football but he has a decent highlight reel even without the silverware. I'm hoping one of these African boys coming through can put on a show for the competition not unlike Nic's athleticism.

We should move to an 18 week season, play every other team once, with home and away alternated every other year.
And still have a bye games in the middle of season, just like the NFL.
What about after 18 weeks the top 8 is set.

The two divisions are split.

Top 8 get one week off as a bye after 18 games and again after the next 8.

Each top 8 team then plays the other top 8 teams once - if in the qualifying they played away then in the return its at home and vice versa.

Then we end up with a top 8 thats played each other twice - h and a

Bottom 10 do the same thing - play off for second division honours. Make it worth something to the players and the club for the winner - winner being the highest finisher. The first and final round for this is a bye for the top 8

25 round season for the top 8 - 27 rounds for bottom 10.

All teams play each other twice in their two divisions.

This system removes teams playing bottom teams twice and others once - its only the home and away draw that will be fairer to some than others - only against the bottom teams but.

Feel free to pick it apart.

What about after 18 weeks the top 8 is set.

The two divisions are split.

Top 8 get one week off as a bye after 18 games and again after the next 8.

Each top 8 team then plays the other top 8 teams once - if in the qualifying they played away then in the return its at home and vice versa.

Then we end up with a top 8 thats played each other twice - h and a

Bottom 10 do the same thing - play off for second division honours. Make it worth something to the players and the club for the winner - winner being the highest finisher. The first and final round for this is a bye for the top 8

25 round season for the top 8 - 27 rounds for bottom 10.

All teams play each other twice in their two divisions.

This system removes teams playing bottom teams twice and others once - its only the home and away draw that will be fairer to some than others - only against the bottom teams but.

Feel free to pick it apart.

Better than the current bullshit...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back