Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmanian people will stop turning up to AFL games until they get there own side. They’ll then stop buying memberships to add more pressure. Watch Tasmania’s VFL team get more people watching than hawthorn in Launceston and north Melbourne in Hobart.

To follow on from the 17 round season, the remaining rounds should go towards a cup style comp two conferences play round robin type top 2 of each go to a cup semi final. Eliminate the nab matches, devote those rounds to the early cup matches

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

All indigenous players should be eligible for the NGA accademy, not just those not in SA and WA.

The AFL season should be 34 weeks long or 17, not 22. If that is not possible then the fixture should average out over 5 years.

The AFL grand final mcg contract being extended is a disgrace

All indigenous players should be eligible for the NGA accademy, not just those not in SA and WA.

It's not just players from SA and WA though. North are about to get a Tasmanian indigenous player through their NGA.

Clubs should get priority in drafting a former listed player, similar to F&S/Academy bidding.

If that player is happy to return of course.

Example from my club, Jye Bolton was a former Collingwood listed player in 2011, if Collingwood wanted Jye, and Jye wanted to go to Collingwood, then i think Collingwood should have priority drafting him. Other clubs that want him can bid.

Clubs should get priority in drafting a former listed player, similar to F&S/Academy bidding.

If that player is happy to return of course.

Example from my club, Jye Bolton was a former Collingwood listed player in 2011, if Collingwood wanted Jye, and Jye wanted to go to Collingwood, then i think Collingwood should have priority drafting him. Other clubs that want him can bid.

The pies delisted him. Nope

Tasmanian people will stop turning up to AFL games until they get there own side. They’ll then stop buying memberships to add more pressure. Watch Tasmania’s VFL team get more people watching than hawthorn in Launceston and north Melbourne in Hobart.

When the crowds drop in Tasmian then all the talk from neutrals has so far been about Tasmania not being ready for their own team... that is just the way it has been interpreted.

They would essentially need to go on strike, with picket lines at the turnstiles to stop people entering. It couldn't just be a drop off in crowds.

But I like your thinking about supporters engaging in activism to challenge AFL policies we don't like. We don't see enough of that.

I support Tassie having their own team, except I worry about the further thinning of playing talent.

A croc of s**t is an 'opinion' your entitled to but the 'facts' are the last 6 Premierships teams have all been coached by Alistair Clarkson or his former assistant coaches...
Correct. Clarkson is a gun coach and Blokes like Bevo have achieved success because he is too, not because he was under Clarkson. Had he have been an assistant elsewhere, he'd perhaps learnt differently, but still be a gun coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pies delisted him. Nope
Nope?

What do you mean, you have already started rules about my unpopular opinion?

Regardless how they finished up on the list, if that player wants to go back, it doesnt matter if they were delisted.

Funny.
Took a wooden spoon favourite to finals and then to a flag. Speaks for itself.

Don't be precious because he coaches your club. Clarko is a gun coach, but crediting him for the individual success of his assistants is bullshit.

Yeah, i was just making a joke.

But there is truth to it also, imo. The Dogs have not just fallen down the ladder, they have fallen apart. For example, some players are wanting out, there is infighting, and the team is not fighting out games.

Bevo is however building a good list imo, and time will tell on his final legacy.

A croc of s**t is an 'opinion' your entitled to but the 'facts' are the last 6 Premierships teams have all been coached by Alistair Clarkson or his former assistant coaches...

It's 3 very different pathways.

Beveridge won a flag in his second year with a team no one rated, and his team hasn't been at the same level since.

Hardwick was almost out the door in 2016 and then won a flag in 2017 (8th season) then the minor premiership this year.

Simpson had an unexpected GF appearance 3 years ago but has mostly been solid with WC in or around the finals then won a flag this year with a team no one rated.

I think (and Clarkson is the longest serving currently) clubs have moved away from 3-5 year plans and lining up regime changes for short term success and towards stability in coaching groups and working to improve systems, footy dept structures etc. I think roughly half of the clubs in the comp currently have a head coach that has been there at least 5 years. If you go back to the 90s Richmond had 5 coaches, Hawthorn 4, Melbourne 3, Bulldogs 3...

No players should be eligible for the Academy if they are father-son prospects.
I think that's unfair to the players. If you're brought up in the Northern states like Blakey, why should you be denied access to elite coaching and help from the academies just because your dad played for an interstate club?

The academy still has to accept the player may choose his fathers club, if they invest resources.

The Northern academies do direct takent to their club, no argument there but it's not black and white.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back