Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally the biggest % difference in GF history.

More free kicks than West Coast at Subi.

The stars aligned.

More frees then freekickhawthorn.

More frees that the AFL's Giants.

Sent from mTalk
Our free kick differential is consistently one of the worst in the league. You're credibility just took a mortal blow.

It would only take a few people for a leg up, not hundreds.

The fixture guy.
The umpires coach.
The MRO.

Sent from mTalk
The fixtures are fairly predictable, they are based on known principles. The actual wriggle room for producing a fixture tailored for a specific outcome is minimal. The ability of a specifically tailored fixture to produce the outcome it was intended to produce is minimal. At the least it would involve the fixture guy having a great understanding of how good teams will be next year. Although as most good conspiracy theories assume a degree of universal omnipotence on the part of conspirators, that may not be an issue for you. Also, it's not a guy, it's a program, and it involves a group of guys who would all need to be in on it.

As for the umpires coach, what? The umpires coach teaches principles, and how to apply them, not, give this many free kicks to this team. What he is telling the umps has to pass the sniff test unless all the umps are in on it. So you would have to find an amoral coach, who would just do what the AFL said. Devise a strategy that lets him teach generic principles to umps that the umps would think are an appropriate thing for him to teach, but which achieved specific predetermined outcome in games (which is to say, has a greater influence on the game than the teams and coaches). It also isn't a coach, it's a group that looks after umps, and it would either need to fool them all, or involve them all. A plan so subtle it is missed by everyone involved in preparing umpires including the umps, yet so profound it predetermines the season. It's that omnipotence again.

Match review panel? How does the match review panel determine the outcome in a game between 2 teams with no suspended players?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

My opinions.

-The idea of "x teams fixture is hard due to playing a, b and c teams twice due to a, b and c finishing high on the ladder the previous year" is BS. Never in the history of the AFL comp (correct me if i'm wrong but I would put money on this) has the ladder from one year to the next been the same so you cant determine the difficulty of the draw due to this. E.G. Collingwood in 2017 finished 13th, so when the 2018 draw came out and saw you were playing them twice, you would have been pretty happy but in reality they finished H&A in 3rd and were GF runners up. Adelaide being the opposite (they finished 2018 12th, but the idea is the same). The difficulty of the draw imo is more to do with amount of 6 day (and 5, 4 etc day) breaks, how many in a row, if your opponent is coming off a longer break than you etc.

-I am very much in the camp of stop messing with the rules and leave it be BUT the live pick trading made the draft really exciting.

-Carlton's trade with Adelaide (the swapping of first round picks etc) is ballsy but a good one. Yes, maybe they will give up a top 5 pick BUT, they got another player late first round this year in a strong draft and apparently next years draft isn't as strong. Plus, if Carlton do better than expected and Adelaide do worse than expected eg finishing within 5 spots of each other which isn't inconceivable, it will be an amazing deal overall for Carlton.

Last edited:
It is pretty much inconceivable. Despite what people think, things like that inevitably get out. To rig a premiership would involve a lot of people, and the vast majority of people would have a big issue with it, including the people you would need to involve in the conspiracy.

The consequences of the conspiracy being discovered would be catestrophic.

It's like having a small headache, and being offered a pill that at best makes the headache feel a bit better, and at worst, causes your head to explode.

List the benefit to the AFL of Dogs premiership. Then list the cost to the AFL of it being discovered that the comp was rigged.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Tell that to Sacramento Kings fans when the Tim Donaghy scandal broke.
It's always "inconceivable" until it actually happens, and then when it does a few individuals are made the scapegoats with nothing actually done to change the system that allowed it to happen.

I agree that it is extremely unlikely that system wide rigging of a premiership result was occuring, but to state that it is "inconceivable", or to ignore plenty of other more subtle ways where eventual results could be influenced is off the mark IMO.

Did it it happen, or is it currently happening - i highly doubt it.

Would I be suprised if in 10 years time a similar Donaghy-like scandal broke? Absolutely not. I would suggest that anyone who has followed any kind of professional sport over the last 10-30 years would be naive to ignore the potential for corruption that exists, and the huge $ figures likely available for those involved.

Tell that to Sacramento Kings fans when the Tim Donaghy scandal broke.
It's always "inconceivable" until it actually happens, and then when it does a few individuals are made the scapegoats with nothing actually done to change the system that allowed it to happen.

I agree that it is extremely unlikely that system wide rigging of a premiership result was occuring, but to state that it is "inconceivable", or to ignore plenty of other more subtle ways where eventual results could be influenced is off the mark IMO.

Did it it happen, or is it currently happening - i highly doubt it.

Would I be suprised if in 10 years time a similar Donaghy-like scandal broke? Absolutely not. I would suggest that anyone who has followed any kind of professional sport over the last 10-30 years would be naive to ignore the potential for corruption that exists, and the huge $ figures likely available for those involved.
incompetent or biased refs is not an organisation led conspiracy. Also, a guy in a dispute with the NBA made allegations, that I am not aware have been proven beyond, it was a badly refereed game. This could mean the refs tried to influence the game, or he made allegations about that game as it was badly refereed, and therefore the allegations are more believable?

Listening to the average fan at an AFL game or reading the average post on BF this is highly debatable.

BF often brings out the idiot in me..

I like the old saying, `people are smart, crowds are stupid'.

I think AFLX is about starting AFL in other countries where ovals aren't available. That being the case then it's not a bad idea really. A lot of sports have taken off in places because they have been made available on TV and it's easy to find or build an area of play like Basketball. AFL is not so easy when it comes to this but create a version that uses a field that may already be available and is smaller then sure, there's a chance of that.

I think AFLX is about starting AFL in other countries where ovals aren't available. That being the case then it's not a bad idea really. A lot of sports have taken off in places because they have been made available on TV and it's easy to find or build an area of play like Basketball. AFL is not so easy when it comes to this but create a version that uses a field that may already be available and is smaller then sure, there's a chance of that.

Leave the game alone

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Rules
Games initially teamed players with surnames in the first half of the alphabet against players with surnames in the latter half of the alphabet
They, however, discovered that the most talented players all had surnames in the first half.

Edit. Just tested that theory. Only 15 of the vfl afl 50 most games players have a surname starting n-z. Although M would redress the balance. XYZ don’t have too many surnames

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Promotion relegation won’t work without free player movement

Do you think Nathan Jones spends ten years in div 2???
He’s just spent 10 years at a club in rebuild mode in the bottom half while they rebuilt . In a division system he may have a div 2 premiership to his name as they worked their they up into the top half. If anything the lure of a premiership might help keep guns at lower clubs. And 2 grand finals has to be a cash cow.

He’s just spent 10 years at a club in rebuild mode in the bottom half while they rebuilt . In a division system he may have a div 2 premiership to his name as they worked their they up into the top half. If anything the lure of a premiership might help keep guns at lower clubs. And 2 grand finals has to be a cash cow.

You only need to look at European football leagues to see that a Division 2 premiership isn't as attractive as playing top flight football. Countless transfers every season from relegated teams to top division teams.

There is no way that a Division 2 Grand Final would attract anywhere near as much attention (and money) as a Division 1 Grand Final, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back