Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Nothing personal, it is your delusion. What right do I have to intrude....

Nah, not deluded to say North's list is the worst in the comp. But as I said from the get-go, it doesn't matter as much as people think. There's many other factors (mentioned in the original post) that play a greater role and North have Essendon covered in said areas. Which is why I suspect North will win when the teams meet later in the year.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Ok ok, I'll come to the party. I can't find an area of the field in which I'd say North are good (backs, mids, forwards, ruck). Those four areas range from either reasonable to poor. Keep in mind, we're talking merely about lists - a factor which, as I stated earlier, is overrated. Don't take it personally, just an opinion :)
Fewest points conceded this season, despite not having good defenders. Seems legit.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Not at all. Your original premise, back on page one, was that the quality of a club's list is overstated. Your evidence was the North had a poor list playing well, Bulldogs a good list playing poorly, and so on.

My premise is that you are a poor judge of a list.

And for the record, my view of the relative quality of each club's list can be found here.

I don't give a s**t about what you think of club's list, but thanks for sharing. I'm big enough and ugly enough to make up my own mind. You assert that I am a poor judge of a list, as is your right. I maintain that North's list is garbage, as is my right. Best of luck for the remainder of the season :)

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
If the Dockers won a premiership I wouldn’t mind. Close friend of mine is a supporter and I wouldn’t wish decades of suffering on him just because of some bigfooty trolls.
If the Dockers won a Cup under 'Lyin', I would mind. Attitudes filter down thru all levels. :sick:

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Nah, not deluded to say North's list is the worst in the comp. But as I said from the get-go, it doesn't matter as much as people think. There's many other factors (mentioned in the original post) that play a greater role and North have Essendon covered in said areas. Which is why I suspect North will win when the teams meet later in the year.

Sorry but any defense with Thompson and Tarrant is pretty good.
In fact there arent many better combinations of key defenders in the whole league.

Rance/Astbury/Grimes combo is pretty good and versatile

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies
Ok ok, I'll come to the party. I can't find an area of the field in which I'd say North are good (backs, mids, forwards, ruck). Those four areas range from either reasonable to poor. Keep in mind, we're talking merely about lists - a factor which, as I stated earlier, is overrated. Don't take it personally, just an opinion :)
Forward line of Brown, Waite, Ziebell, Wood, Simpkin and Garner with fringe kids like Turner, Larkey, McKay, LDU (very competent forward at U18 level).

Im not here to blow the north foghorn but i do believe you have no idea.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
North's spine is very good, it's just that Waite is 35 and Thompson 32, so if you take them out they come back to the field.

We're in a similar boat. Our spine is our strength but last year Naitanui missed the whole year and Kennedy was out for 6 games and we were middling at best.

Ciabatta

Draftee
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Local football and even up to the level of the the state leagues is a far more enjoyable spectacle and experience than the AFL.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stripping clubs of draft picks for wrong doings punishes the fans more than it punishes the wrong-doers

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Or if you just watch football and not follow the channel 7 boys club
Watch plenty of football, including every Port hole game from AO. Jonas is a 16-22 player on most teams, including Port. He's done well for himself. But best defender in the AFL? I'm genuinely shocked, even in an unpopular opinions thread.

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watch plenty of football, including every Port hole game from AO. Jonas is a 16-22 player on most teams, including Port. He's done well for himself. But best defender in the AFL? I'm genuinely shocked, even in an unpopular opinions thread.
Well it’s pretty much a consensus opinion amongst port fans that he’s our second best player. He’s currently in AA form and was in the squad last year.

So I dare say that your assessment of him being a 16-22 player might be a bit unpopular.

I might rate him higher than most people (which is why I posted it here), but he is easily in the top 10 defenders

Back