Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t mind Jim Stynes statue as Melbourne legend (Brownlow). I like the historical site significance / symbolism of the Demons being the true tenants and having true home ground advantage

Melbourne football club threw dean bailey under the bus bigggg time.

As if Stynes had no idea of the tanking
Technically the AFL did.

In the cold light of day the right person for the AFL to punish was Cameron Schwab. The problem the AFL had with going after Schwab was that Melbourne were still struggling financially and were being propped up by the AFL. 1 of Melbournes bigger revenue sources came from their poker machines, and Schwab was the signatory to the licences. The AFL feared the possibility of Melbourne losing their licences to operate the poker machines, plus a major source of their revenue if they went after Schwab.

Hence Bailey became the fall guy.

Sure, but why didn't people like him?

Sniping and sooking. Never particularly liked his on field persona but respected the s**t out of him as a player. Never booed him at the time but if he was to play today I would boo this s**t out of him for his pathetic posturing and carrying on post playing career

Sniping and sooking. Never particularly liked his on field persona but respected the s**t out of him as a player. Never booed him at the time but if he was to play today I would boo this s**t out of him for his pathetic posturing and carrying on post playing career

Goodes was really strongly supported by the public for pointing a racist out in the crowd, for his work in promoting indigenous causes and his leadership. His role as an indigenous leader was a key factor in the broad public support he received. And rightly so.

Goodes was booed because of
- his "school prefectish" public image where he aligned himself with a lot of "do-gooderish" people and the main authority / establishment type causes and figures
- his dour, serious, humourless way of presenting over serious issues
- the comparison between this martyr like public stance and the niggly, aggressive style of play and flopping he adopted in later years

If there was a racist angle to it, it was minimal.

Goodes was really strongly supported by the public for pointing a racist out in the crowd, for his work in promoting indigenous causes and his leadership. His role as an indigenous leader was a key factor in the broad public support he received. And rightly so.

- his "school prefectish" public image where he aligned himself with a lot of "do-gooderish" people and the main authority / establishment type causes and figures
- the comparison between this martyr like public stance and the niggly, aggressive style of play and flopping he adopted in later years

Yes, how dare someone take and present serious issues... seriously. He's not a comedian and trying to present serious issues in a lighthearted manner (or anything close to it) would probably fall flat and be a misstep anyway.

As for his "school prefectish" this argument just sounds like people were sick of being lectured about racism. Generally people who are like "jeez I wish people wouldn't be so angry about racism" are racists who are sick of being criticised for being one or don't care about the issue because they don't care about racism. Or both. What's wrong with associating yourself with people who want to do good things in life? No, revel in the racism, social improvement is for schmucks!

And if people can't disassociate Goodes the footballer from Goodes the person, then they're not very smart.

Maybe people thought that picking on a kid for racism is unfair given kids don't really know what they're saying. But what the kid was saying was racist and there's a wider undercurrent of racism that other players have experienced which hasn't gone away. And that doesn't change unless Goodes says something. I just find it weird that indigenous players are policed about how they respond to racism. If someone said that I need to respond to racism in a a polite and lighthearted manner, I'd tell them to **** off.

If he was booed for flopping, why isn't every flopper booed? Or why was he booed from the first minute, and not just after he'd picked up a dodgy free?

Or niggly and aggressive style? Plenty of players have made a career out of this and don't get booed ever. Plenty even get the "good bloke" defence. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Luke Hodge.

Plenty of footballers align themselves with all sorts of causes and don't get booed. Plenty come across as school prefects, and don't get booed.

And yeah, some other players get booed, but never to the extent that Adam Goodes did.

Yes, how dare someone take and present serious issues... seriously. He's not a comedian and trying to present serious issues in a lighthearted manner (or anything close to it) would probably fall flat and be a misstep anyway.

As for his "school prefectish" this argument just sounds like people were sick of being lectured about racism. Generally people who are like "jeez I wish people wouldn't be so angry about racism" are racists who are sick of being criticised for being one or don't care about the issue because they don't care about racism. Or both. What's wrong with associating yourself with people who want to do good things in life? No, revel in the racism, social improvement is for schmucks!

And if people can't disassociate Goodes the footballer from Goodes the person, then they're not very smart.

Maybe people thought that picking on a kid for racism is unfair given kids don't really know what they're saying. But what the kid was saying was racist and there's a wider undercurrent of racism that other players have experienced which hasn't gone away. And that doesn't change unless Goodes says something. I just find it weird that indigenous players are policed about how they respond to racism. If someone said that I need to respond to racism in a a polite and lighthearted manner, I'd tell them to **** off.

You have taken my billycart.... put streamers on the handle bars ... and then criticized it for having streamers.

If it "just sounds like people were sick of being lectured about racism" to you then you didn't listen very well. Goodes was very strongly supported for his stance against racism, as well he should be.

You then go off an a tangent, perhaps one best reviewed by yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was booed for flopping, why isn't every flopper booed? Or why was he booed from the first minute, and not just after he'd picked up a dodgy free?

Or niggly and aggressive style? Plenty of players have made a career out of this and don't get booed ever. Plenty even get the "good bloke" defence. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Luke Hodge.

Plenty of footballers align themselves with all sorts of causes and don't get booed. Plenty come across as school prefects, and don't get booed.

And yeah, some other players get booed, but never to the extent that Adam Goodes did.

While you are throwing logical tests, plenty of Aboriginal players don't get booed too.

so why dont selwood and brown get the same booing for diving? or ablett, fyfe and cunnington for being snipers?

Not sure, but I've definitely heard Brown be booed at games. I recall Ash Hams, L. Thomas, Rance and others getting boo'd for diving.

You have taken my billycart.... put streamers on the handle bars ... and then criticized it for having streamers.

If it "just sounds like people were sick of being lectured about racism" to you then you didn't listen very well. Goodes was very strongly supported for his stance against racism, as well he should be.

You then go off an a tangent, perhaps one best reviewed by yourself.
Goodes was supported by the political, media and cultural class. When he was playing, as soon as he spoke up about racism, he got booed. He had been diving and playing aggressive before that. No, something politically significant happened, such, as, oh I don't know, making a country which hates being told about its racism being told about its racism. It's the only major change.

Now sure, not every fan is racist. That's why not every fan booed.

Goodes was supported by the political, media and cultural class. When he was playing, as soon as he spoke up about racism, he got booed. He had been diving and playing aggressive before that. No, something politically significant happened, such, as, oh I don't know, making a country which hates being told about its racism being told about its racism. It's the only major change.

Now sure, not every fan is racist. That's why not every fan booed.

Goodes was really well supported for speaking out against racism. You would struggle to find anyone who had a peep to say against him on that. Maybe Eddie McGuire but I am not sure who else.

Goodes was really well supported for speaking out against racism. You would struggle to find anyone who had a peep to say against him on that. Maybe Eddie McGuire but I am not sure who else.
I am aware no industry types opposed him. That's not what we're arguing about. What we're arguing about is Goodes calls out someone for being racist, suddenly he gets booed heavily during games. Either people are racist or hate it when people spot out racism. All this talk about diving and school prefectish stuff is just excuse making and victim blaming.

The booing for Goodes hit peak level, after he kicked a regular set shot second quarter goal, in a dead rubber, vs bottom of the ladder Carlton, at the SCG, during indigenous round, and celebrated by seeking out the one bay full of opposition supporters, and performing a war dance, that was only created quite recently, toward them.

You wonder why some people felt he was hijacking the round to put himself front and centre by deliberately antagonising the Carlton fans in to responding in turn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The booing for Goodes hit peak level, after he kicked a regular set shot second quarter goal, in a dead rubber, vs bottom of the ladder Carlton, at the SCG, during indigenous round, and celebrated by seeking out the one bay full of opposition supporters, and performing a war dance, that was only created quite recently, toward them.

You wonder why some people felt he was hijacking the round to put himself front and centre by deliberately antagonising the Carlton fans in to responding in turn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if it hit peak level, that meant people were booing prior to then.

And then we are to believe that people from other clubs booed him because he antagonised Carlton fans? Rightio.

So if it hit peak level, that meant people were booing prior to then.

And then we are to believe that people from other clubs booed him because he antagonised Carlton fans? Rightio.

Oh very much so. One like one prayer for the poor Carlson squad who suffered the great injustice of a player doing an indigenous war dance, during indigenous round.

Seriously, there are a lot of annoying people in this thread, isn't there?

People seem to be forgetting he called out the racist young fan during Indigenous Round in 2013. The booing began in 2015, two years later, so it’s a complete fabrication to claim that people started booing him as soon as he got the young girl ejected from the stadium. In fact, most people supported that act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back