Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Not an unpopular opinion but I think if the AFL stopped bringing new teams from the end of 1994 then we (Eagles) probably wouldve had min 6 or 7 flags.

We had won 2 of the last 3 flags and played in 3 of the last 4 GFs at that stage.

Stupid Freo etc diluting things

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The ball is in the Eagles forward line and Oscar Allen and Jack Darling are in the vicinity of a ball up. Darlings opponent has body on, as he should, opposition ruckman lines up to jump against Allen.

Allen doesn't move, Darling makes a theatrical show of trying to jump for the ruck.

Free kick Darling, blocking out in the ruck contest, right in front.

That was what was starting to happen as a strategy, that is why rucks nominate.

Most teams have one ruck, keep them away from forward half ruck contests, use makeshift ruckman forward, but keep switching.

Deep forward, Eagles could use Allen, Waterman, Darling, Kennedy, s**t, they could even have Ryan jump for it.

Bit of a problem for a defender if you don't know if your direct opponent is going to compete in the ruck or not.

How long until teams are running drills around ruck contests where they decide on the fly, which player is going for the ruck based on which player is the most blocked, and therefore most likely to draw a free?

Because I think that is why the nomination rule came in, teams were already doing just that.

You do nominate in the centre square, entering the circle is nominating, raising your hand as well is superfluous. Nominating around the ground is essentially replacing the circle with a hand raise.

I suppose the umps could carry a spray can and spray a circle at every ball up, don't think it would do much for game flow though.

This is why the previous idea is good. If Eagles have to nominate Allen as a backup ruck pre game, then only he and the number one ruck cannot be blocked. Darling can take a ruck if he wants, but if he is blocked, play on.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the explanation, it made me think more about this issue. On reflection, my memory of the third man up issue was always someone like Hodge being blocked and getting a free (or not being blocked and being the third man up). In my opinion, no midfielder (who is clearly only a midfielder) should ever be contesting in the ruck when there are two ruckmen already doing that, hence why I spoke about this in a very cut and dry manner. Given that players are getting taller generally, it does open the door to having more people contest in the ruck. Although I wonder if this happens more as a result of the rule change, rather than something that was happening despite it?

Interestingly, during this week's finals games I noticed a stark contrast in how this particular rule was implemented. The Eagles/Essendon game was very slick, with ruckmen nominated/identified quickly (and almost silently) by umpires and the game moving on. In the second game (I can't remember which one it was, maybe GWS/Dogs?) there was a bit of extra time taken to clearly identify who was the nominated ruckman for each team, and then declaring that to all players around the ball before play resumed. Needless to say, I preferred the way it was done in the first instance.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Thanks for the explanation, it made me think more about this issue. On reflection, my memory of the third man up issue was always someone like Hodge being blocked and getting a free (or not being blocked and being the third man up). In my opinion, no midfielder (who is clearly only a midfielder) should ever be contesting in the ruck when there are two ruckmen already doing that, hence why I spoke about this in a very cut and dry manner. Given that players are getting taller generally, it does open the door to having more people contest in the ruck. Although I wonder if this happens more as a result of the rule change, rather than something that was happening despite it?

Interestingly, during this week's finals games I noticed a stark contrast in how this particular rule was implemented. The Eagles/Essendon game was very slick, with ruckmen nominated/identified quickly (and almost silently) by umpires and the game moving on. In the second game (I can't remember which one it was, maybe GWS/Dogs?) there was a bit of extra time taken to clearly identify who was the nominated ruckman for each team, and then declaring that to all players around the ball before play resumed. Needless to say, I preferred the way it was done in the first instance.
I think some rule tweaks are due to clubs gaming the rules, but over time, commentators and fans forget. Then the rule tweak seems odd and annoying, but it cannot be changed back, because the actions that prompted it in the first place will immediately come back. Clubs were playing ducks and drakes with ball ups trying to draw frees and advantages, hence nominations.

Same with no prior in the tackle rule. Players in the 90s were starting to actively avoid picking the ball up, as in a contested situation, it was better to be second, and be the tackler, than first, and get tackled. No prior removed the advantage of being second to the ball, and if they fiddle with the rule because of the bitching about the tackler not being rewarded, and it returns to advantage tackler, we will see the contest to be the guy that tackles the player that gets the ball, rather than getting the ball, come back.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Tayla Harris doesn't warrant a statue in Fed Square - not that any decision has been made on where it will be permanently based.

She's played 20 odd games at AFLW level. In terms of female sporting accomplishments in Australia that doesn't rank highly. She's not even the best player in what is essentially a part time, amateur competition.

In terms of breaking down barriers and being a vehicle for social change etc. a photo of her copped some abuse on the internet in woke 2019 and everyone leapt to her defence. It's actually kind of insulting to people who went before her .

Reading comments like 'it's just like Nicky Winmar, it transcends sport' are cringey. Winmar was the subject of repeated racist abuse. Fans, players, clubs, league admin etc. did SFA about it. Apples and oranges to what happens now.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Tayla Harris doesn't warrant a statue in Fed Square - not that any decision has been made on where it will be permanently based.

She's played 20 odd games at AFLW level. In terms of female sporting accomplishments in Australia that doesn't rank highly. She's not even the best player in what is essentially a part time, amateur competition.

In terms of breaking down barriers and being a vehicle for social change etc. a photo of her copped some abuse on the internet in woke 2019 and everyone leapt to her defence. It's actually kind of insulting to people who went before her .

Reading comments like 'it's just like Nicky Winmar, it transcends sport' are cringey. Winmar was the subject of repeated racist abuse. Fans, players, clubs, league admin etc. did SFA about it. Apples and oranges to what happens now.
Doubt this will be unpopular.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

Deserves its own thread.

What a joke.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal

She's getting a statue in Fed Square? That's absurd, I'm all for a AFLW player having a statue in Fed Square but there's a dozen more deserving players than her in terms of their abilities, accomplishments or contribution to the game.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
She's getting a statue in Fed Square? That's absurd, I'm all for a AFLW player having a statue in Fed Square but there's a dozen more deserving players than her in terms of their abilities, accomplishments or contribution to the game.

She has one and it is in Fed Square for the time being.

At today's press conference it was suggested it could be based among immortal football legends like Kevin Bartlett and Lou Richards on the concourse of the MCG, to which Mr Plowright responded: "That'd be the dream."

You couldn't make this stuff up.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
That all umpires and their relatives should have their bank accounts regularly monitored. I know the majority of people in this country think we are corruption free but the reality is cheating in sport is worldwide and I have seen way too many games in the past 30 years not to suspect the occasional bribe hasn’t taken place.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
NAB sponsored the Harris statue to troll the trolls, and I love it. The bitters and salt and tears and wailing and gnashing of teeth on facebook and twitter is hilarious, they should make 3.

1. A statue is a commercial transaction. They make them because someone paid for it, NAB chose to pay for it.
2. A statue is a statement, not a lifetime achievement reward. NAB is making a statement, not honouring Harris`s footballing career. What she has achieved has nothing to do with it.
3. The statement they are making is * You. The people they are making that statement to are the people over reacting on social media, so job well done.

Now I am guessing that is going to be an unpopular opinion.

Podsnap

All Australian
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

I don't think it has much to do with Tayla Harris. We're talking about a population that has to fight for the existence of every serious sporting competition to play in let alone receive recognition for it. Even the AFL barely takes the womens comp seriously. The first AFLW Carlton/ Collingwood match a few years ago wasn't a 'sell-out' because it was a novelty, it was a sell out because it had young girls and old women flocking in to finally see their efforts come to something - hell every female in my household was streaming it live and I'm the only one of us that actually pays attention to footy. Winmar received repeated abuse in a racist society that swept it under the rug, yes - but until recently we've been written out of efforts to even get to that point. If the government want to create a statue to commemorate the Tayla Harris moment - one that involved some supreme skill and athleticism - and more importantly the fightback against the sexist idiots and keyboard warriors who think its their duty to let everyone know just how inadequate we are, then I don't have a problem with it at all.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think it has much to do with Tayla Harris. We're talking about a population that has to fight for the existence of every serious sporting competition to play in let alone receive recognition for it. Even the AFL barely takes the womens comp seriously. The first AFLW Carlton/ Collingwood match a few years ago wasn't a 'sell-out' because it was a novelty, it was a sell out because it had young girls and old women flocking in to finally see their efforts come to something - hell every female in my household was streaming it live and I'm the only one of us that actually pays attention to footy. Winmar received repeated abuse in a racist society that swept it under the rug, yes - but until recently we've been written out of efforts to even get to that point. If the government want to create a statue to commemorate the Tayla Harris moment - one that involved some supreme skill and athleticism - and more importantly the fightback against the sexist idiots and keyboard warriors who think its their duty to let everyone know just how inadequate we are, then I don't have a problem with it at all.

Wowee.

Back