Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Let me guess sponsored by NAB to take the spotlight off the royal commission and focus it on how others are a blight on society through their trolling?
Spot on - when raising sponsorship for a junior league - a major global company was very open - they were keen to donate because they have so much bad publicity and want to have a good new story in the community.. I refrain from noting the industry and company but it was not banking. This would be a part of a community engagement streategy by NAB

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Let me guess sponsored by NAB to take the spotlight off the royal commission and focus it on how others are a blight on society through their trolling?
Yeah, if they were fair dinkum, they would have done a statue of someone more worthy like

Random lady with a bag.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
NAB sponsored the Harris statue to troll the trolls, and I love it. The bitters and salt and tears and wailing and gnashing of teeth on facebook and twitter is hilarious, they should make 3.

1. A statue is a commercial transaction. They make them because someone paid for it, NAB chose to pay for it.
2. A statue is a statement, not a lifetime achievement reward. NAB is making a statement, not honouring Harris`s footballing career. What she has achieved has nothing to do with it.
3. The statement they are making is fu** You. The people they are making that statement to are the people over reacting on social media, so job well done.

Now I am guessing that is going to be an unpopular opinion.

So the best way deal with a serious issue in society (or multiple issues if you want to break it down into women in sport, online harrassment etc) is public trolling? Cool. Meshes well with the modern day 'I shout loudest I win the argument' approach.

Woke marketing is a scurge. NAB don't give a s**t about Tayla Harris or women in sport or anything other than positive PR for NAB. You reckon they give the slightest of *s if an AFLW player defaults on her home loan? You reckon if someone comes along with some inclusive happy feelgood hold hands business idea with shaky financials that they'll take on the risk out of kindness? Didn't think so. It was predictable that their latest 'mini legends' campaign would take a scattergun approach to diversity KPIs. Was surprised Westhoff managed to get a gig. Should've just got some random little boy and ran with the message that one day you can grow up and play in the AFLW, Hannah.

Historically, bronze statues are reserved for important figures. There's a reason the MCG has statues of Don Bradman and Ron Barassi etc. and not the chick who came 5th in the steeplechase at the 2014 Commonwealth Games but got up on stage at the closing ceremony because it probably annoyed some people. Historically you don't commission a statue to say "* you". That's next level petty. If NAB are so keen to make a statement why don't they plonk the statue they paid for in the foyer of their HQ on Bourke St?

One day people will wake up to this crap, I hope.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Statue looks shithouse regardless whether its deserved or not. Nab obviously didnt throw too much money into it.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
So the best way deal with a serious issue in society (or multiple issues if you want to break it down into women in sport, online harrassment etc) is public trolling? Cool. Meshes well with the modern day 'I shout loudest I win the argument' approach.

Woke marketing is a scurge. NAB don't give a s**t about Tayla Harris or women in sport or anything other than positive PR for NAB. You reckon they give the slightest of fu**s if an AFLW player defaults on her home loan? You reckon if someone comes along with some inclusive happy feelgood hold hands business idea with shaky financials that they'll take on the risk out of kindness? Didn't think so. It was predictable that their latest 'mini legends' campaign would take a scattergun approach to diversity KPIs. Was surprised Westhoff managed to get a gig. Should've just got some random little boy and ran with the message that one day you can grow up and play in the AFLW, Hannah.

Historically, bronze statues are reserved for important figures. There's a reason the MCG has statues of Don Bradman and Ron Barassi etc. and not the chick who came 5th in the steeplechase at the 2014 Commonwealth Games but got up on stage at the closing ceremony because it probably annoyed some people. Historically you don't commission a statue to say "fu** you". That's next level petty. If NAB are so keen to make a statement why don't they plonk the statue they paid for in the foyer of their HQ on Bourke St?

One day people will wake up to this crap, I hope.
Everything you said about woke marketing applies to plain old marketing. Everything you said about NAB seeking positive PR through womens sport applies to NAB seeking positive PR through AFL.

Everything you said is a plain old whinge.

Statues are statements of one form or another.

The statue of Harris is not a statue of Harris the footballer, but a statue of that moment, and what it represents.

What it represents is the history of womens footy and the pushing on against the headwind of 'Funny looking kitchen, would lose to an Auskick side, why are they being paid?'.

The over hysterical, what is the world coming to, response to the statue is why the statue was made.

The hypocrisy of the 'Cathy Freeman deserves a statue before her' comments from people that would be irate if they had actually made a statue of Cathy Freeman, is enormous.

Read your post, look at the statue, read your post again, look at the statue again, if you are unaware of the connection between the two, no ones issue but yours.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
AFLW players are some of the most mollycoddled athletes in the world.

We have female and male athletes that are legitimately the best in the world at their chosen sports that have to self fund. The ANZ Championship netball comp used to pay to have games broadcast on TV.

Cry me a river if someone playing in a competition that not only has catapulted a barely amateur level sport to semi-professional status overnight (with national broadcasting) while riding the coat tails of and being funded by the male competition, had some losers on the internet say some mean things about a photo.

The over hysterical, what is the world coming to, response to the statue is why the statue was made.

The hypocrisy of the 'Cathy Freeman deserves a statue before her' comments from people that would be irate if they had actually made a statue of Cathy Freeman, is enormous.

Read your post, look at the statue, read your post again, look at the statue again, if you are unaware of the connection between the two, no ones issue but yours.

Utter nonsense. Where is the outrage about the statue of Evonne Goolagong Cawley? I'll wait.

I'm sure growing up as an indigenous female athlete in the 50s and 60s was a cakewalk compared to everything Tayla Harris has faced.

Malcolm Blight said this:

“She is getting a statue for being trolled online. Mystifying to me,” Blight said on Sportsday SA Radio.

“One of the most mystifying things I have ever heard of. I am not happy about it.

He's spot on. Your whole point is that they made a statue just to get a response to a statue. I'm sure Tayla Harris would be rapt to hear that. 'Hey we don't actually care about you, we just want to annoy people and there's mileage in something you did a few months ago'.

The reason there is "outrage" (more realistically, yet another bout of eyerolling) is that the whole thing reeks of 2019 self-importance. In the grand scheme of things the "moment" ranks pretty lowly but people are desperate to elevate it to something more than it is because it's recent.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
AFLW players are some of the most mollycoddled athletes in the world.

We have female and male athletes that are legitimately the best in the world at their chosen sports that have to self fund. The ANZ Championship netball comp used to pay to have games broadcast on TV.

Cry me a river if someone playing in a competition that not only has catapulted a barely amateur level sport to semi-professional status overnight (with national broadcasting) while riding the coat tails of and being funded by the male competition, had some losers on the internet say some mean things about a photo.

Utter nonsense. Where is the outrage about the statue of Evonne Goolagong Cawley? I'll wait.

I'm sure growing up as an indigenous female athlete in the 50s and 60s was a cakewalk compared to everything Tayla Harris has faced.

Malcolm Blight said this:

“She is getting a statue for being trolled online. Mystifying to me,” Blight said on Sportsday SA Radio.

“One of the most mystifying things I have ever heard of. I am not happy about it.

He's spot on. Your whole point is that they made a statue just to get a response to a statue. I'm sure Tayla Harris would be rapt to hear that. 'Hey we don't actually care about you, we just want to annoy people and there's mileage in something you did a few months ago'.

The reason there is "outrage" (more realistically, yet another bout of eyerolling) is that the whole thing reeks of 2019 self-importance. In the grand scheme of things the "moment" ranks pretty lowly but people are desperate to elevate it to something more than it is because it's recent.
You should take a tour of the statues of Melbourne, anonymous people abound. I will await here for your outrage at this state of affairs, because I know you take your 'the rules and laws of bronzing' seriously.

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
My unpopular opinion is: I don't get why people get so triggered By womans footy. Are males really that threatened by a woman playing a sport they are used to men playing ?
I personally don't care about women's footy and don't watch it. But if they want their own professional league and professional whatever then let them have it. Doesn't concern me. All this fuss about statues also doesn't bother me as well. Don't get why people care. Not like it's being put in your house

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My unpopular opinion is: I don't get why people get so triggered By womans footy. Are males really that threatened by a woman playing a sport they are used to men playing ?
I personally don't care about women's footy and don't watch it. But if they want their own professional league and professional whatever then let them have it. Doesn't concern me. All this fuss about statues also doesn't bother me as well. Don't get why people care. Not like it's being put in your house

I agree with you, but I think it's the people that don't like it being shoved in their faces that make the most racket. For example, a SuperCoach facebook page constantly updates it's page with women related stuff when it's not really the platform to do so as it should be for statistical posts that are SC related.

It's also a separate organisation to the AFL, yet all the AFL media pages report on it.

Their should be specific women related pages for AFLW content and people who wish to see it follow it.

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree with you, but I think it's the people that don't like it being shoved in their faces that make the most racket. For example, a SuperCoach facebook page constantly updates it's page with women related stuff when it's not really the platform to do so as it should be for statistical posts that are SC related.

It's also a separate organisation to the AFL, yet all the AFL media pages report on it.

Their should be specific women related pages for AFLW content and people who wish to see it follow it.
Can understand why that would annoy someone but for me if I'm not interested I just scroll past it.
For me even though I don't watch women's footy I still think it's great they have their own version of it and I hope they can take the same criticism as the men. And some of the players are hot so it's not too bad haha

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton

The whole ‘shoves down their faces’ thing though...

Looking at the AFL websitr right now, for example: the first thing that hits me when I load it is a bank advertisement that takes up about half the screen. There’s literally nothing about AFLW unless I click on the Womens tab

Or alternatively, when I go to the HS SuperCoach home page - I get 2 separate advertisements covering 1:3 of the page for gambling websites.

The SuperCoach Facebook page - I’m looking at it now, and I see: an advertisement for the ‘sacked’ podcast (nothing to do with SuperCoach), an article about some country footballer (nothing to do with SuperCoach), etc

No one gets triggered by articles about random country blokes or bank ads. Occasionally there’s a complaint about gambling, but not really - no one gets abusive or angry over it, just a lot of hand wringing.

And yet for some reason the AFLW is what is being ‘forced down our throats’.

Back