Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
Well this should be fun
My unpopular opinions are that

Its only a matter of time before gold coast succeed, purely because of the number of junior players in queensland, pity the actual club is so incompetent.

Geelong are in trouble next year top heavy and that top is getting old. Execellant backline will keep them competitive but Fremantle thought something simliar about our midfield with fyfe, neale, walters and hill all still being quite young at the start of 2016.

Ive never been so positive for freos future. love our spine pearce, hamling, logue, darcy, lobb, hogan, taberner all under age of 26. Backline is very talented with wilson, ryan and hughes added to pearce, hamling and logue and all under 26. Rate out young inside mids brayshaw, cerra and tucker But their is some holes being wings and skillfull half forwards which leads to terrible inside fifty efficiency.

If melbourne teams had to deal with west coast fans the way freo do they would be the most hated team in the comp, their just so smug.

Melbourne are not in a hole because their best players oliver, gawn, brayshaw, viney and mccdonald are all quite young so they have time to trade in and draft to fill those holes. Then once they have done that will make a serious crack at a premiership.

I know this will upset a lot of people but as I have said many times in the last 10 years, North should be forced to relocate to Tasmania. This would make the AFL a truly national game. North do not have enough supporters and will never be able to stand on their own 2 feet. Once they are entrenched in Tasmania they potentially could become a powerhouse with over 75,000 members.

If they were to relocate a Vic club (or shut one down and start another, causing a de facto relocation), the most financially troubled one would be St Kilda, so I'd suggest you be careful what you wish for.

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
If they were to relocate a Vic club (or shut one down and start another, causing a de facto relocation), the most financially troubled one would be St Kilda, so I'd suggest you be careful what you wish for.
Saints are going nowhere. We have a massive supporter base.

If melbourne teams had to deal with west coast fans the way freo do they would be the most hated team in the comp, their just so smug.

Not hated, but their saltiness is very amusing. They continue to push Geelong for the title of saltiest fans...I think it has something to do with being a big fish in a small pond..Their delusions don't get challenged often enough, so they start to accept them as fact and cry when they're forced to question them.

Saints are going nowhere. We have a massive supporter base.

Saints fans keep saying that, but given that nobody ever seems to see them, and they never seem to put any money into the club, you have to wonder if it's just a myth.

jsdsgn

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lakers
Some will agree - alex rance is ridiculously overrated
pretty good interceptor and organises the backline well but terrible as a 1 on 1 defender which therefore i think doesnt make him a true full back
people often say hes the best full back of the decade but he gets outbodied very often
de goey and hawkins destroyed him last year

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Collingwood Sparrows are a bland poor black and white photocopy of RFC who are innovative, vivid, and premiership winners with headsdown arse up attitude from the President and CEO down.

Windy Hill is indeed full of wind with the lack of courage to just sack Woosha.

Stewy Dew actually lost weight this year and by 2022 will be under 250 pounds.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know this will upset a lot of people but as I have said many times in the last 10 years, North should be forced to relocate to Tasmania. This would make the AFL a truly national game. North do not have enough supporters and will never be able to stand on their own 2 feet. Once they are entrenched in Tasmania they potentially could become a powerhouse with over 75,000 members.

This is hilarious coming from a St Kilda supporter.

zucchini

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not so much as an unpopular opinion than a word.
After 2 flags in 39 years why is everything so "salty" all of a sudden?

Oh, because the 37 previous years had no salt?
Those 37 years were an absolute salt mine.....

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Hodge, Rich & Witherden in the same backline didn't work. Hodge is a Legend & showed he could still star in Finals. Rich had a super year & Witherden is a very good player. It was just one to many slow guys in the back half mix.

Harris Andrews needed to be moved to the forward line in the last Quarter against the Giants in the Final; would have won the game.

The Lions needed to put Cam Rayner back to the 2's to regain form & earn his senior selection, just like thousands of other players have throughout the games history.

The Lions failed to meaningfully experiment with their fantastic flexibility. Andrews & Adams as Key Forwards sending Hipwood up the ground & giving McStay his old spot back in defence with Walker & Darcy Gardiner back in Defence. It was like "Well, we're going really well so we'll keep on this conservative path." If we're going to win a flag our flexibility has to be tested.

Cutler, who played well R6,R7,R8 should have continued playing even if he wouldn't sign a contract.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
My unpopular opinion is that the wing is now a role player position and you don't need superstar wingers to win Premierships.

Bradley Hill is a good player but Saints will be paying a massive price just for some run n carry.

In my opinion having good half back flankers are more important.

My unpopular opinion is that the wing is now a role player position and you don't need superstar wingers to win Premierships.

Bradley Hill is a good player but Saints will be paying a massive price just for some run n carry.

Not an unpopular opinion. A good half back flanker can be more important, ones with good foot skills, penetrating kicks to clear lines, and good decision making (when to go down the line, when to do the switch etc).

Of course I am biased but we won a flag with more important contributions from Hurn and Jetta than from Gaff and *insert other winger here*.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Not an unpopular opinion. A good half back flanker can be more important, ones with good foot skills, penetrating kicks to clear lines, and good decision making (when to go down the line, when to do the switch etc).

Of course I am biased but we won a flag with more important contributions from Hurn and Jetta than from Gaff and *insert other winger here*.
Yep that's right you guys won without Andrew Gaff one of the best wingers in the game proves my point even more. you filled him with a role player & won it.

With Richmond this year we dropped arguably our best winger in McIntosh many outsiders & Richmond fans rated him above Brandon Ellis
Caddy literally learnt a wing role in a few weeks in the VFL came in & played a role in 2019 flag.

Last edited:

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The Colliwobbles is overstated. Many times Collingwood lost grand finals was because they were average teams who got found out at the pointy end of the season. Most of Collingwood's genuine stars come from the 1910s-1960s and if we made a team from 1960 onwards containing the best players, Collingwood wouldn't have many. Sides like North, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon and Hawthorn, who had better players during that era would have more.

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

You're right, good wingmen aren't that useful, but I suspect the saints want Hill to set up play up forward. He's not so much a pure wingman, if they even exist these days as a outside midfielder/HFF. I like the type of player they're picking, as the saints lack any dynamic players with great foot skills or speed, but the price seems a bit steep for a guy who I'd probably say sits comfortably outside the top 50 players in the league.

AeneasX

Debutant
Jun 26, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
WAians who think their best 22 would beat the VIC team are kidding themselves, assuming every player is fit and willing to play, we'd take you to the cleaners. Got a nice midfield (so do we) but your forward line wouldn't be able to put a winning score on the board.

Would like to see a Home and Away season where each team vs each other twice, I'm sure there are a bunch of logistical issues but would like to see it nontheless.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
WAians who think their best 22 would beat the VIC team are kidding themselves, assuming every player is fit and willing to play, we'd take you to the cleaners. Got a nice midfield (so do we) but your forward line wouldn't be able to put a winning score on the board.

Would like to see a Home and Away season where each team vs each other twice, I'm sure there are a bunch of logistical issues but would like to see it nontheless.

Not sure how unpopular that opinion is on a forum consisting mostly of Victorians.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
- Jack Riewoldt is the most overrated forward of the last decade.
- Hawthorn are irrelevant now and their club/posters are stuck in the past.
- The AFLW is a waste of time and resources because it will never be a profitable operation.
- Isaac Smith is a downhill skiier of the highest calibre.
- If there's a club who's been more perpetually disappointing than Essendon, it's Fremantle.
- Daisy Pearce is a horrible, boring commentator.

Thanks for listening.

AeneasX

Debutant
Jun 26, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure how unpopular that opinion is on a forum consisting mostly of Victorians.
True, but the poll on poll boards currently says otherwise and I wanted to keep that thread civil apasossible so I brought this here.

Back