Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we have a great win/loss record, but I want Hawthorn to get the hell out of Tasmania.
As a country footy player a while from Melbourne it seems to line up every year that my own byes fall on Hawthorn home games in Tassie. I haven't watched us live since 2017 as a result.

Not sure if unpopular, but is clearly not being addressed.

The AFL need to make decisions that also cater to adults. I understand that family and kids are important, but everything from game day, entertainment, the media, the dumbed down approach to everything would just leave most people cold I reckon.

They take for granted that anyone say, 35+, is rusted on and will follow their team no matter what and it's the youth and "outsiders" that need all the attention. They're right in a way, and it's a business. But I wonder if it will last long term and personally, these days I take the whole league with giant a grain of salt.

Need Tas and ACT/Riverina teams to take it to 20. Play each other once and a rivalry round to finish makes 20 rounds.

Have two byes one third and two thirds through the h&A season. No prefinals bye.

I'm sure loads of people would agree but I reckon Fox Footy should be on normal tv and not just on Foxtel.
Yeah there are racing channels on free to air. Ch7 own the AFL rights they should be chucking replays on 7 mate or one of their channels all off season.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure if unpopular, but is clearly not being addressed.

The AFL need to make decisions that also cater to adults. I understand that family and kids are important, but everything from game day, entertainment, the media, the dumbed down approach to everything would just leave most people cold I reckon.

They take for granted that anyone say, 35+, is rusted on and will follow their team no matter what and it's the youth and "outsiders" that need all the attention. They're right in a way, and it's a business. But I wonder if it will last long term and personally, these days I take the whole league with giant a grain of salt.

What do you mean?

Serious question - what would you like the league to do differently in this respect?

- late double headers (ie Friday night double headers with the second game in Perth finishing post-kids-bedtime)?

- having full alcohol, full swearing (probably dedicated to one supporter group only) adults only zones at matches?

beyond that, I can’t think of anything much, as somebody in their 30s

Despite what a lot of freo supporters think the WA media absolutely panders and mollycoddles them.. They are actually gagging for them to do well.

Freo are only given a fraction of the criticism they deserve and any decent win against good opposition is over hyped, especially early in the season. The WA media absolutely parrots the excuses and rebuild propaganda the club makes.

Last edited:
What do you mean?

Serious question - what would you like the league to do differently in this respect?

- late double headers (ie Friday night double headers with the second game in Perth finishing post-kids-bedtime)?

- having full alcohol, full swearing (probably dedicated to one supporter group only) adults only zones at matches?

beyond that, I can’t think of anything much, as somebody in their 30s
None of those things really are worth changing IMO. In fact I prefer arvo games to night games, but see your point.

It's hard to pinpoint. I just feel like everything from the media perspective, the sponsors, commentary and even the engagement from the clubs to the fans seems to be really aiming for the lowest common denominator or just trying to relate to kids or new-comers to the game with simplicity and "wow factor" as an entertainment factor.

None of those things really are worth changing IMO. In fact I prefer arvo games to night games, but see your point.

It's hard to pinpoint. I just feel like everything from the media perspective, the sponsors, commentary and even the engagement from the clubs to the fans seems to be really aiming for the lowest common denominator or just trying to relate to kids or new-comers to the game with simplicity and "wow factor" as an entertainment factor.

I wouldn't call families and people who can enjoy a game the lowest common denominator.

I wouldn't call families and people who can enjoy a game the lowest common denominator.
You nailed my point.

"Enjoy the game". That's what it should be about, I find everything else that is attached to the league actually brings it down. You can't even enjoy a goal without some junk product advertised around the goal posts or flashing around the ground trying to get the kids attention. I understand it's a balance between being a (non for profit) business and a sporting leauge, I just find it could engage with with people who follow footy (and will continue to no matter what) in a better way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what you're saying and I agree.

Despite what a lot of freo supporters think the WA media absolutely panders and mollycoddles them.. They are actually gagging for them to do well.

Freo are only given a fraction of the criticism they deserve and any decent win against good opposition is over hyped, especially early in the season. The WA media absolutely parrots the excuses and rebuild propaganda the club makes.

Some opinions are unpopular because they are flat out wrong.

You nailed my point.

"Enjoy the game". That's what it should be about, I find everything else that is attached to the league actually brings it down. You can't even enjoy a goal without some junk product advertised around the goal posts or flashing around the ground trying to get the kids attention. I understand it's a balance between being a (non for profit) business and a sporting leauge, I just find it could engage with with people who follow footy (and will continue to no matter what) in a better way.

It’s the same reason why no one actually cares about who wins or the history of BBL.

Hawthorn fans are no more fair weathered than any other supporters. Naturally, their crowd sizes have dropped off from their premiership years. But even if the drop off is stronger than other clubs, the difference is negligible.

I remember back in the early 2000s watching Saturday night double-headers. Can't remember if the second televised game at 1030 was a replay or live from WA

Why are 99% of your posts about Freo dude? Just admit you love us and join us already, we could use another sophisticated and charming fellow such as yourself

Why are 99% of your posts about Freo dude? Just admit you love us and join us already, we could use another sophisticated and charming fellow such as yourself
I’m impressed he didn’t call us obsessed, it’s a nice change from normal from him

i couldnt handle the spin and excuses you guys hide behind

Alright, this will start ww3 but anyway.
1. Tom Hawkins is sht, he is absolutely cross eyed, can kick a goal from behind the point post but can't kick a goal 20m directly in front.
2. Darwin deserves a team, I know they have bad footy weather, but whatever.
3. South Melbourne and Fitzroy should return to the AFL.
4. The AFL should have just been a corporate entity that embodied the VFL, WAFL and SAFL and not league.

Last edited:
1. Tom Hawkins is sht, he is absolutely cross eyed, can kick a goal from behind the point post but can't kick a goal 20m directly in front.
1. Hes a good footballer. Not a star, not s**t.
2. You should play aussie rules footy on the NES.
3. They are in the league as merged/moved clubs.

4. The AFL should have just been a corporate entity that embodied the VFL, WAFL and SAFL and not league.

World War 3 is imminent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back