Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL media should all be sacked. I’m sick of seeing lists, voting polls and other dumb filler fluff and it’s only been 1 weekend without footy.

If your wife leaves you, you don’t sit around going through albums remembering good holidays.
This

Surprised so many fox footy shows are Still going on atm with no footy to discuss

Same with footy classified where instead they just babble on about nothing

Sack them

ESPN has two two-hour sports talk programs on each weekday morning, back to back. So four hours solid of people talking about sports from 8am to midday, US Eastern time, or 8pm to midnight Perth time (10pm-2am EST). NFL is out of season, NBA is suspended, MLB delayed, MLS suspended, NHL suspended, college sports suspended... there is literally no sport to talk about anywhere, yet the same people still manage to spend 20 hours a week talking about it.

Sports media jumped the shark a long time ago.

The shape/size of the ball has changed since the 1990's. It was smaller then.

Or players hands are now smaller. Or my eyes deceive me.

cb46143d9dcb7ef9e06e64a93ec2bcac.jpg
1552730737909_ed07e3ca2f4083643ed9c949c898661a.jpeg

ESPN has two two-hour sports talk programs on each weekday morning, back to back. So four hours solid of people talking about sports from 8am to midday, US Eastern time, or 8pm to midnight Perth time (10pm-2am EST). NFL is out of season, NBA is suspended, MLB delayed, MLS suspended, NHL suspended, college sports suspended... there is literally no sport to talk about anywhere, yet the same people still manage to spend 20 hours a week talking about it.

Sports media jumped the shark a long time ago.
IF...
you think sports media has jumped the shark
THEN....
most people will agree with you.

If
IF...
you think sports media has jumped the shark
THEN....
most people will agree with you.
I see another Ch 7,9,10,ABC snippet of how young Jack is playing with his son, or lifting weights or cycling or whatever I am going to puke. Trump is right about fake news. It is crap.

If

I see another Ch 7,9,10,ABC snippet of how young Jack is playing with his son, or lifting weights or cycling or whatever I am going to puke. Trump is right about fake news. It is crap.
To Trump, fake news is when the news reports something entirely accurate, about him. He doesn't mean reporting non news,as news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL season won't go ahead at all this season, and anyone who thinks the contrary is in dreamland. Seems to be a lot of people (particularly footy journos) gunning for this. But even a conservative estimate puts a return to late july-august, where the players would require a minimum month prior to train and get remotely match ready. No need to slog the boys into December when they could be playing in 30-35+ degree heat consistently. Just sack the season, get the boys cherry ripe for 2021, and go from there.

To Trump, fake news is when the news reports something entirely accurate, about him. He doesn't mean reporting non news,as news.
Trump certainly doesn't like the truth if it shows him in a bad light and his delayed reaction to the covid-19 virus has not shown him in a good light.

AFL season won't go ahead at all this season, and anyone who thinks the contrary is in dreamland. Seems to be a lot of people (particularly footy journos) gunning for this. But even a conservative estimate puts a return to late july-august, where the players would require a minimum month prior to train and get remotely match ready. No need to slog the boys into December when they could be playing in 30-35+ degree heat consistently. Just sack the season, get the boys cherry ripe for 2021, and go from there.
Yes but the AFL doesn't make money, which we all know is the most important thing.

I tend to agree, if we are not starting until late July then no real point bothering at all with such a compromised season..

I tend to agree, if we are not starting until late July then no real point bothering at all with such a compromised season..
They have a $500 mill line of credit, but if they have to spend it all propping up teams until 2021, it will be a millstone around their neck for a decade.

If they can save some money by getting in a sort of season, and don't, that would be a dereliction of duty bad enough heads should roll.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

They have a $500 mill line of credit, but if they have to spend it all propping up teams until 2021, it will be a millstone around their neck for a decade.

If they can save some money by getting in a sort of season, and don't, that would be a dereliction of duty bad enough heads should roll.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

You would really only get nuffies buying into a compromised season, sure the average viewer would flick in between a game or two, but it would have about as much meaning as the pre-season comp.

More scope in an extended season next season IMO.

Yeah, your thinking is the exact reason prior opportunity kept growing and growing and now has stuffed up the game. People wanted to see players "beating" the tackler. The tackler is not rewarded and we end up with 30 players or more at stoppages, and most people are miserable.

Nowadays you need to tick off about 5 criteria and be an expert in martial arts/wrestling to win a holding the ball decision.

Have you watched some of the old footy this week? My god, it is infinitely better.

I philosophically disagree with the general thrust of this. In my opinion, the person with the ball deserves all the 'benefit of the doubt'. He's got the ball - he's making the play. OK - the tackler can force a stoppage via a good tackle. In AFL, a stoppage is a neutral situation. Well done - you've changed the situation (to use Alan Jeans' words) from 'They've got the ball' to 'the ball is in dispute'.
I don't think a tackler - no matter how 'perfect' the tackle is - should be rewarded because he manages to 'negate' the player with the ball and manage to force the ball out of his hands by holding his arms. You need to earn possession. I think incorrect disposal should only apply in a situation where a player is in full control - otherwise it's 'uncontrolled disposal caused by a tackle'.

Having said that, I yell 'Ball!!!' as much as the next fan, and can recognise the excitement of a good tackle earning a free kick - it's often a massive swing in momentum. The 'prior opportunity' is a very exciting situation for fans of both sides. The fans of the player with the ball are thinking 'Just bloody kick it!', while the opposition fans are thinking 'Come on, grab him'. It's great fun.

I guess I've been burned by too much Rugby Union, where one side may have possession at the scrum, and the other side forces a technical infringement, which not only gives them possession, but often a penalty shot at goal - far too big a reward. I don't like it, when something similar happens in our game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back