Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Hallstrom

Senior List
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
To add to this: bragging about flag count is laughable when you consider that prior to expansion, the VFL was just another state league. You can argue it was more competitive than the others, but that's up for debate. Back in the day, it was not viable for people to uplift their entire families and move across the country to play footy for mediocre wages, so it resulted in all-time legends playing out majority of their careers in the WAFL and SANFL. Add to that the issue of non-existent salary cap, no draft, and a multitude of other factors contributing to an unfair competition, and it essentially meant any club could buy their way to a flag instead of developing the strongest list.

Even looking back 100 years ago, and you had the VFL and VFA existing side by side. It's not even fair to claim the VFL produced the only legitimate flags from the two when you consider that, prior to Footscray moving into the VFL, they beat the reigning premiers (Essendon) in an exhibition match. Why do VFL flags magically count towards the overall tally, but not WAFL, SANFL, VFA, etc.?

Looking at the official flag count, you might almost think Essendon and Carlton are strong clubs, but in reality they've had maybe 1 or 2 flags between them in the AFL era that didn't have question marks over it thanks to salary cap rorting and whatever other dodgy sh*t was happening behind the scenes. The tally doesn't give a true view of the real powerhouse clubs.

Carlton and Essendon are not stronger clubs than Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast or now Richmond, who have all enjoyed huge success (Richmond only in the last few years, but still) as AFL clubs, and don't rely on reputation from their state league days. It's just funny seeing some people brag about their clubs flag count when they were probably weren't even toilet trained last time their club won a flag, or even a final.
Don't disagree that old flags don't mean too much in the scheme of things but the reason VFL flags are counted is because we are all still in that same competition.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't disagree that old flags don't mean too much in the scheme of things but the reason VFL flags are counted is because we are all still in that same competition.
It's not at all the same competition though. No interstate sides, no salary cap, no draft, very low "professional" standards, and started out as only 8 clubs (without North, Footscray or Hawthorn). The VFL may have become the AFL, but it wasn't at all the same competition

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Nope. Love it.
If a gun ex player even looked sideways at a lass I want their sprog. Sprog kids and grandkids included.
Granted the dogs may not benefit from this as much as North or Geelong
Did you hear Jobe Watson has just had a baby boy ? Called it Wolf. ******* Wolf !!

Hallstrom

Senior List
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
It's not at all the same competition though. No interstate sides, no salary cap, no draft, very low "professional" standards, and started out as only 8 clubs (without North, Footscray or Hawthorn). The VFL may have become the AFL, but it wasn't at all the same competition
Except that it is the same competition. Rules have changed, teams have come and gone, the name has even changed, but it is still the same competition that started in 1896.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
I understand your idea that football supporting is an experience to enjoy now. It's like eating a good meal - no one wants to hear about 'the great meal I ate while in a little Italian restaurant on top of a hill in Liguria' - that's their experience, and unless you were there it means nothing to you and you can't share in it.

But as a history buff, I find the history of sport (particularly sports fandom) interesting, and I like making the connections between the sports/teams/players of long ago with those of today - certainly there is no direct connection, but that' like saying there is no connection between us Australia in WW1 for example - everybody from that time is dead by now, there are a few inanimate objects (buildings etc) from that time still around, but there is no direct, ongoing relationship except that we have defined a 'country' or 'society' by some particular boundaries, and we create the connection.

Haven't explained that very well, have I?:cool:

PS - I tend to agree with you that the 'adding up' of premierships is a bit overrated by many fans - I'm on the 'every season is different' bandwagon. I read about it, but to measure a club's performance against others based on what happened 100 years ago is not that significant to me. There is no award for having more wins or premierships than other teams. It's interesting historically.
I'm interested in the meal. What did you have?

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Doesn’t mean that the VFL days are discounted though. It’s like discounting the current AFLW Premierships in 100 years (if it remains the same competition). It’s expected that the competition changes and develops over time. Doesn’t mean that the original conditions nullifies the achievements of the Premiers in that era.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

What a great idea. All records deleted from before 2012. GWS came in, changed the number of teams, not the same competition.. We could change the name to the WTFL :rolleyes:

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Here’s one that might be popular, but seems unpopular with the amount of times I see supporters claim this.

You are not a neutral or unbiased supporter if you hate one of the teams that are playing. The amount of times we see people say something like “oh but I am a neutral supporter and even I can confirm that your team got a ride from the umps” is astounding. If you support Carlton for example and hate Essendon with all your guts, then you are not an impartial analyser of a game that involves Essendon and not your team. You are still a biased supporter.

In fact, I’d say that it is rare to find a pure unbiased analyser of the game altogether (including myself).

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Here’s one that might be popular, but seems unpopular with the amount of times I see supporters claim this.

You are not a neutral or unbiased supporter if you hate one of the teams that are playing. The amount of times we see people say something like “oh but I am a neutral supporter and even I can confirm that your team got a ride from the umps” is astounding. If you support Carlton for example and hate Essendon with all your guts, then you are not an impartial analyser of a game that involves Essendon and not your team. You are still a biased supporter.

In fact, I’d say that it is rare to find a pure unbiased analyser of the game altogether (including myself).
i am totally neutral if not a suns game.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They're not really getting pulled because they kicked the goal though. That player was always going to come off after the next goal, it's just coincidence if they kicked it.
Agree. 18 players on the ground and usually 4 rotations after a goal which means close to 1 in 4 players on the ground come off. I would also hazard a guess that you see it more often after a midfielder kicks a goal than a forward (who is less likely to come off at regular intervals).

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it an unpopular opinion to say that the most irritating thing about the AFL website is the *@$%ing stupid puns and hackneyed metaphors in the news story headlines (OK, maybe it's a tie with Damian Barrett's concept of what 'Sliding Doors' means)?

You know how during the season, Geelong, Richmond or Brisbane will 'show their claws' in a good win; the teams with a bird mascot will 'swoop' on their opponents, the Suns will be cooled or the Power will be turned off (or possibly suffer a blackout) in a disappointing loss?

The most annoying thing about the below examples is that you can just imagine the AFL.com journo giving themselves a 'nailed it' fist pump when they came up with these.

1605208216763.png

At least we know where the editors of the old MX rag that they used to hand out for free at train stations in the Melbourne CBD are working now.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it an unpopular opinion to say that the most irritating thing about the AFL website is the *@$%ing stupid puns and hackneyed metaphors in the news story headlines (OK, maybe it's a tie with Damian Barrett's concept of what 'Sliding Doors' means)?

You know how during the season, Geelong, Richmond or Brisbane will 'show their claws' in a good win; the teams with a bird mascot will 'swoop' on their opponents, the Suns will be cooled or the Power will be turned off (or possibly suffer a blackout) in a disappointing loss?

The most annoying thing about the below examples is that you can just imagine the AFL.com journo giving themselves a 'nailed it' fist pump when they came up with these.

View attachment 1010536

At least we know where the editors of the old MX rag that they used to hand out for free at train stations in the Melbourne CBD are working now.
Missing
HUGE TRADE WIN FOR GIANTS

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Essendon are better off with Caldwell and picks 6, 7 and 8 than throwing two of those picks away at Dunkley.

Enough variation of talent in this years projected top 20 to set them up for the their next decade.

Not that I wish them any success or anything.

Essendon are better off with Caldwell and picks 6, 7 and 8 than throwing two of those picks away at Dunkley.

Enough variation of talent in this years projected top 20 to set them up for the their next decade.

Not that I wish them any success or anything.
When you commit to a player you follow through. Dunkley now has to remain at the Bulldogs. How many players will be reluctant to stick their neck out now knowing Essendon only want you to commit their own commitments are not binding

HarryZLA

All Australian
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
This has been said to death but in my view, it can never be said enough:

Father Son & Academy picks are absolutely amateur concepts that should not exist in a professional sporting league.

Or they should at least be completely unprotected in the top 20.

It's absolutely ridiculous that the Bulldogs basically get a #1 draft pick after finishing in the top 8, and get to use nothing but a bunch of garbage picks to obtain it. (Not having a dig at the Dogs, they're clearly just the most recent example).

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hmm I wish that a woman would be recruited to an AFL post.. a very reputable person has been rejected by a club that I thought
would have been perfect for the dynamic and futuristic team of the Roos..

they have absolutely nothing to lose..this is the cathartic perception of all worthy of the way we work...

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Hmm I wish that a woman would be recruited to an AFL post.. a very reputable person has been rejected by a club that I thought
would have been perfect for the dynamic and futuristic team of the Roos..

they have absolutely nothing to lose..this is the cathartic perception of all worthy of the way we work...
We already have the highest ranking woman in a footy operations role in the AFL, in Laura Kane.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This has been said to death but in my view, it can never be said enough:

Father Son & Academy picks are absolutely amateur concepts that should not exist in a professional sporting league.

Or they should at least be completely unprotected in the top 20.

It's absolutely ridiculous that the Bulldogs basically get a #1 draft pick after finishing in the top 8, and get to use nothing but a bunch of garbage picks to obtain it. (Not having a dig at the Dogs, they're clearly just the most recent example).

18 clubs go on and on about how they want to be progressive in Indigenous rights ans leadership and multiculturalism.

Yet they only flurried to put these academies together when they figured they could get something out of it.

All AFL clubs should honestly be made to help develop elite talent in both traditional and less traditional pathways, and not expect anything from it, or the AFL should pay each slightly less than they do and put that towards it.

It's in the best interests long term of the sport.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
i am totally neural if not a suns game.

I don't know how unpopular it is but I don't buy into hating rivals as much as others. You see it more overseas but some people seem to get just as much from seeing their own team succeed than another team or other teams fail.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to see Freo win a flag because WA will be a horrible place to be while their fans get 25+ years of retribution out of their system, but if Freo or anyone else winning benefits WC, I'll cheer for that result.

Back