pablo668

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
Claremont
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Port Melbourne should have been allowed to join the then breakaway VFL.

The VFL playing games on Sundays helping to kill of the VFA (it was only one factor really) was a mistake and bad for football in general.

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
Players shouldn't have any say as to where they are traded, players already have Free Agency to pick and choose where they go thats enough.

If a QLD born player has requested a trade, but the best deal is with a WA side. "See ya pal, you're off to WA."

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Players shouldn't have any say as to where they are traded, players already have Free Agency to pick and choose where they go thats enough.

If a QLD born player has requested a trade, but the best deal is with a WA side. "See ya pal, you're off to WA."
Clubs which can't persuade their conscripts to stay with them have had their chance, they shouldn't get a 2nd bite at compounding their incompetence by dragooning the player into playing at yet another place he doesn't want to be.

All Aust

Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
The home and away should be as equal as possible therefore there should be home and away against each opposition team. there should be 15 sides this allows a bye.

There should be no other breaks in the season and total player numbers does not decrease so each of the 15 sides increase their list to cover extra regular season games to be played. there will be 28 rounds.

No preseason, the AFL should expect professional preparation of teams that are ready to go.

And in reference to the above Clubs to have Duty of Care for player particularly banning in game pain suppression substances but allowing a substitution player for an injured player who when subbed cannot play for at least 7 days after being subbed.

No change to no of interchange; 20 minute quarters as per timing in 2019.

Finals for 7 teams - 3 weeks of finals plus GF.

Similar to 2020, teams will be at times roster to play 2 games within a 7 day period.

The emphasis is to be able to prepare and Maintain and Manage you list by rotating players. Let's say for discussion purposes that each play must miss at least one game in the season.

The regular season is 26 weeks so the total season is about 7 months March to September.

My game also kills the nominating of a ruckman (third man up contact stays as current). The umpire balls up straight away and moves out at 90 degrees he /see then needs not to indicate their path (contact with an umpire stays as current).

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
This may or may not be an unpopular opinion (it’s definitely unpopular with the AFL), but equalisation is ruining the game. Thrashings keep the league exciting.

Flat-tracking or not, dominating a team by a margin of 150+ and an inside 50 differential of +50 to go with it is usually good viewing in terms of skill-level. Even if it looks like a training drill like Hawthorn’s 160+ margins against Port Adelaide and GWS in the early 2010s, or Geelong’s 200+ score against Richmond and Melbourne this century, the skill level displayed in those games are still top-tier in my opinion.

Nowadays though, the difference between the top and the bottom is too close in my opinion. That’s what makes the AFL relatively boring now compared to the previous years where top teams used to obliterate bottom teams. Almost every game is close with the occasional 80-100 point win. 100+ margins are quite rare now compared to previous years.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
This may or may not be an unpopular opinion (it’s definitely unpopular with the AFL), but equalisation is ruining the game. Thrashings keep the league exciting.

Flat-tracking or not, dominating a team by a margin of 150+ and an inside 50 differential of +50 to go with it is usually good viewing in terms of skill-level. Even if it looks like a training drill like Hawthorn’s 160+ margins against Port Adelaide and GWS in the early 2010s, or Geelong’s 200+ score against Richmond and Melbourne this century, the skill level displayed in those games are still top-tier in my opinion.

Nowadays though, the difference between the top and the bottom is too close in my opinion. That’s what makes the AFL relatively boring now compared to the previous years where top teams used to obliterate bottom teams. Almost every game is close with the occasional 80-100 point win. 100+ margins are quite rare now compared to previous years.
Not sure if popular or not either.

It is odd though.

I find thrashings to be boring. Once you see the way the game is going, it's also highly predictable.

And I would usually call the skill level mundane, even when the winning team is highly skilled. Because they generally don't need to do anything special. Take possession, hit the open players on the spread. Pass in to the open forward, who takes a safe mark. Rinse, repeat.

The excitement comes from the big clutch mark, the desperate defence, pulling off the risky bullet pass to the one player half free in the corridor, opening up the game.

None of this tends to happen in thrashings

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

In my opinion thrashings don't do the game in favours

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Not sure if popular or not either.

It is odd though.

I find thrashings to be boring. Once you see the way the game is going, it's also highly predictable.

And I would usually call the skill level mundane, even when the winning team is highly skilled. Because they generally don't need to do anything special. Take possession, hit the open players on the spread. Pass in to the open forward, who takes a safe mark. Rinse, repeat.

The excitement comes from the big clutch mark, the desperate defence, pulling off the risky bullet pass to the one player half free in the corridor, opening up the game.

None of this tends to happen in thrashings

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
In my opinion thrashings don't do the game in favours
Yeah that’s why I thought it was an unpopular opinion. I have heard/read quite a few supporters say/write that they don’t like thrashings and find them boring. I’m sort of the opposite with that. I am most interested in neutral games when it is so close that it is going down to the wire or when one team is seriously thrashing the other. I personally think that it keeps things interesting as a spectacle.

I find the comfortable and expected results the most boring (i.e., a 17th-placed North Melbourne comfortably losing to 1st-placed Port Adelaide by 36 points). It’s not an upset, it’s not up for grabs by both teams until the end and it’s not a complete destruction.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah that’s why I thought it was an unpopular opinion. I have heard/read quite a few supporters say/write that they don’t like thrashings and find them boring. I’m sort of the opposite with that. I am most interested in neutral games when it is so close that it is going down to the wire or when one team is seriously thrashing the other. I personally think that it keeps things interesting as a spectacle.

I find the comfortable and expected results the most boring (i.e., a 17th-placed North Melbourne comfortably losing to 1st-placed Port Adelaide by 36 points). It’s not an upset, it’s not up for grabs by both teams until the end and it’s not a complete destruction.

Or when you have a truly horrible match, that just because it's close it's some good or even considered a classic. The 2005 Grand Final the perfect example. 8 goals to 7 in perfect conditions.

Its probably been said a few times, but i dont get the notion that lots of goals = more entertaining. I dont understand this obsession with having both teams scoring over 100 points like the "good old days"....

IMO its boring as batshit when a goal is kicked every other minute, i prefer when the teams have to earn the goals and they each mean something...

My fav games are those in the 70-90 range scoring wise, and close

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Its probably been said a few times, but i dont get the notion that lots of goals = more entertaining. I dont understand this obsession with having both teams scoring over 100 points like the "good old days"....

IMO its boring as batshit when a goal is kicked every other minute, i prefer when the teams have to earn the goals and they each mean something...

Couldn’t agree more.

You equally fall for the close = good fallacy. Sadly the way the game is played these days 90% of close games are close because the game is an absolutely trash spectacle.

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think the decrease in 100+ point wins is due to the rise of defensive tactics in the past 15 years. I do agree though that an even competition (quality-wise) is worse to watch and it's much better when there's 2-4 truly great teams. Somewhat believe though that that's influenced by the increase in teams, the talent is further spread and can't be concentrated to a few dominant sides.

It's much more fun to kick 21 goals straight against Essendon than win by the standard 30 points

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the decrease in 100+ point wins is due to the rise of defensive tactics in the past 15 years. I do agree though that an even competition (quality-wise) is worse to watch and it's much better when there's 2-4 truly great teams. Somewhat believe though that that's influenced by the increase in teams, the talent is further spread and can't be concentrated to a few dominant sides.

It's much more fun to kick 21 goals straight against Essendon than win by the standard 30 points
Or Carlton.

Or Collingwood.

But all the rest of the also-rans, who cares.

You equally fall for the close = good fallacy. Sadly the way the game is played these days 90% of close games are close because the game is an absolutely trash spectacle.

No lol

If its close and in the 70-90 point range, that is more that enough scoring

130-150 range for both teams is boring as batshit imo, goals mean donuts

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
The home and away should be as equal as possible therefore there should be home and away against each opposition team. there should be 15 sides this allows a bye.

There should be no other breaks in the season and total player numbers does not decrease so each of the 15 sides increase their list to cover extra regular season games to be played. there will be 28 rounds.

No preseason, the AFL should expect professional preparation of teams that are ready to go.

And in reference to the above Clubs to have Duty of Care for player particularly banning in game pain suppression substances but allowing a substitution player for an injured player who when subbed cannot play for at least 7 days after being subbed.

No change to no of interchange; 20 minute quarters as per timing in 2019.

Finals for 7 teams - 3 weeks of finals plus GF.

Similar to 2020, teams will be at times roster to play 2 games within a 7 day period.

The emphasis is to be able to prepare and Maintain and Manage you list by rotating players. Let's say for discussion purposes that each play must miss at least one game in the season.

The regular season is 26 weeks so the total season is about 7 months March to September.

My game also kills the nominating of a ruckman (third man up contact stays as current). The umpire balls up straight away and moves out at 90 degrees he /see then needs not to indicate their path (contact with an umpire stays as current).
I don't mind the idea of making the H&A more even, except why not go the other way and make it 34 games (1 home, 1 away v every team). Extend club lists (downgrade pays though, they're astronomical for some players), schedule teams twice in 7 days, for a list that could have 50 players on it, why not.

Sure the product of the AFL may be diluted but you would get more for less if you know what I mean.

NeutralFan

All Australian
Feb 15, 2015
Somewhere, Probably
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, ATP
The third tall, intercept marking, loose man in defence, not really accountable for an opponent role is the most overrated and easiest role in the game.
Every team seems to have a 'star' or two that get praise for "reading it in the air so well" as every commentator puts it.

Compare these players to forwards which every team has one that has the "potential to be something special" tag and their job is so much easier to execute and get praise for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back