Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This aged well...

Barring McKay's 7 goal haul, Cripps was BOG tonight. 34 touches, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 18 contested possessions, 12 pressure acts, 11 clearances, 10 score involvements, and 2 goals to his name as well.

He can still be overrated...lots of gun players are.

Hell, I think Charlie Dixon is a top 3 key forward (after Hawkins and Lynch) and I'd still say he's overrated by others. I've heard media commentators say he has the potential to be an all time great forward whilst at Port...

Carlton arent back at all. Neither is Cripps
Mate no one seriously thinks yesterday's performance means "Carlton are back". We've never actually made it in the first place. We beat up an injured, young side on the road and even then we drifted late, playing like millionaires.

Stop trying to create a narrative that doesn't exist. Carlton fans are legitimately concerned about several areas of our list, player development and talent identification

Unsure if it’s an unpopular opinion or not- but I don’t think Richmond played necessarily any different on Saturday to how they have been playing all year to date. Sydney just had the forward tools to take advantage of the entries they were given and Richmond got shown up. Hawthorn and Carlton didn’t have the foot skills to take advantage but had some clear momentum at times in their games.

Unbelievably good side, and I don’t have any doubts they are going to be right up there when the whips are cracking. I just wonder whether the man on the mark rule has more of an impact on the defensive pressure when you can’t aggressively man the mark like they did so well in the previous 2-3 years and get the turnovers.

Friday night v Port is a big game for both clubs.

Mate no one seriously thinks yesterday's performance means "Carlton are back". We've never actually made it in the first place. We beat up an injured, young side on the road and even then we drifted late, playing like millionaires.

Stop trying to create a narrative that doesn't exist. Carlton fans are legitimately concerned about several areas of our list, player development and talent identification
I read through 10 pages of your autopsy thread, they're certainly of the opinion there.

I agree re: Carlton. They had never arrived anyway, they can't be back.

As for Cripps, I think it's unlikely he'll ever return to that 2018-2019 beast mode form. Carlton shouldn't want him too. That was a 1 man band midfield.
He was okay yesterday. Builled their mids, was significantly bigger than all of them. Acted like it too. Good player, love watching him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm getting bored and indifferent to the treatment of the high mark/speccy.

Is Jeremy Howe sponsored by Channel 7 or something? They keep talking about him and Flying Ryan in their coverage.

A high mark can be exciting to see when it's unexpected whilst your watching a game, but the constant repeated footage can get boring to the point it becomes etched in your memory and you forget what it was like to see it the first time.

Why mention frees for as if its a bad thing?
They're not a bad thing, but AFL free's can be iffy at the best of times. They're not generally an indication of a good game by the player, and more an indication of bad play by the opponent - unless they're from holding the balls.

They're not a bad thing, but AFL free's can be iffy at the best of times. They're not generally an indication of a good game by the player, and more an indication of bad play by the opponent - unless they're from holding the balls.
Cripps is a man mountain....players always hanging off him at stoppages

I dont think the last one gets you a stat
If that's true then I stand by my statement even more - A player tackling you incorrectly or holding you behind play isn't an indication of a good game by the player, its just bad defending or ill discipline from the opposition.

If that's true then I stand by my statement even more - A player tackling you incorrectly or holding you behind play isn't an indication of a good game by the player, its just bad defending or ill discipline from the opposition.
It's amazing how infrequently bad players get those sort of frees, just unlucky I guess.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cripps is overrated because of his size.

He's a good player, but so are Tom Mitchell and Clayton Oliver and Lachie Neale. Because he's 195cm & 92kg people talk about him like he's a contested marking and goalkicking machine, which he isn't.

I hate traditional matchups we get every year

The season opener
Easter monday
Anzac day
Queen’s birthday (Vic)

Meh.

Yep.

No teams should be tethered to particular games and particular rounds.

Have thought this for a few years.

Next.

It's amazing how infrequently bad players get those sort of frees, just unlucky I guess.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
It makes sense that good players get more free's, they're getting more attention from the opposition, but receiving a free kick something like holding the man or high tackle is bad play from the opposition player.

Plus top 10 for average free kicks last season involved Lachie Fogarty, Scott Lycett, Peter Ladhams and Touk Miller and majority of the top 20 are rucks so there is enough variation there.

He also had 6 clangers, 5 turnovers, 6 frees for - not to mention 12 pressure acts is considered poor.

Really good player Cripps, but he's definitely overrated - both by the media and by Carlton fans. It's his first genuinely good game in a almost a year. Walsh, Jones, Mackay and Fogarty all better than him today too.

Cripps had 10 Brownlow votes last year? He is in a bit of a holdig pattern of 2-3 solid (20-25 disposal) games followed by one ‘big one’ - more below..

Cripps is overrated because of his size.

He's a good player, but so are Tom Mitchell and Clayton Oliver and Lachie Neale. Because he's 195cm & 92kg people talk about him like he's a contested marking and goalkicking machine, which he isn't.

Cripps led all midfielders in contested marks in 2018 - the only one close was Dangerfield. He also kicked 11.16 that year and was dangerous as a forward but with some kicking yips.

You can almost pinpoint a moment mid-way through 2019 though where it totally flipped for him as a player - he basically took 1-2 contested marks per game prior to that, then after that has barely taken any (43cm in 33 games leading up to that point, 12 in 27 games since.

When you look over his number that was a turning point in the variability of his output too. Before then, for 2.5 years he was an almost lock for 30-odd disposals and 15cp each week. Since, he has been essentially in the 22-25 range, with occasional outbursts of 35+

Of course, it’s complex. That turning point game had 3 things happen:
1) it was Teague’s first game as coach; possibly a different game plan and style since?
2) in that game, Cripps has his best ever match, 38 disposals and 4 goals; possibly tighter tagging
3) the following week, Cripps was injured, and missed a month; possibly lingering injury effects

I think for the 18 months up to round 13 in 2019, Cripps was utterly elite - the best ball winner in the league, a top shelf contested mark, and a legit scoring threat. Since then, he’s been a good (but not great) clearance midfielder who doesn’t offer much else. Whether it is game plan, injury, opposition strategy, or mental, the numbers are pretty clear...

Umpires were taking extra special care of Patrick yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back