Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The draft order should be determined in mini lotteries of 6 bands of 3, if you finish 16-18, 18th doesn’t automatically get first pick, it’s a lottery draw that 18th will either end up with first, second, or third pick. Then 13-15, etc

Trial it, even just for a year.

although I can’t see the AFL trying it because it’s a semi admission that tanking may just exist

Make it that the rule about remaining stationary applies to all the players, not just the player on the mark. All a forward has to do to get clear is move.

Scoring will skyrocket, it will be fantastic, such good footy.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

The current skill levels we see atm, I doubt most players could still hit the target unless its David Mundy.

SEN had the promo at the time Murphy was joining the station.

"How about getting around this guy for a cuddle? Everyone's favorite captain, Bob Murphy".

No I don't want to cuddle him and he's never been my favorite captain in anything. Not even top 100 (which Captain Stubing comes in at 100).

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Trent cotchin is my favourite captain because he plays for my team, not Bob 'no medal' murphy because hes a failed comedian

unless the argument is that it counts for 1 point AND play on. That... would be interesting, to say the least (the potential for a 7-point play for example)...

Imagine attackers continuingly touching the ball against the goal posts to rack up infinite 1 points while teammates block the opposition from getting to him to stop it.

What a time to be alive......

I really like Mundy but I'll take a crab juice 8 days a week over Bob Murphy and his denim jackets and his dreadful show on SEN with Andy Maher (dunno if this is an unpopular opinion or not but I'd rather listen to audio of my parents rooting than those two blabber on about bullshite)
I much rather Dwayne Russell's show beforehand, that's how good they are

The draft order should be determined in mini lotteries of 6 bands of 3, if you finish 16-18, 18th doesn’t automatically get first pick, it’s a lottery draw that 18th will either end up with first, second, or third pick. Then 13-15, etc

although I can’t see the AFL trying it because it’s a semi admission that tanking may just exist
always thought there was a simple fix to both draft & fixture evenness.

Rd 1-17. Everyone plays each other once.
1-6 qualify for finals

1-6 play each other in final rounds. Determines final order for home finals games
7-12 play each other in final rounds. Best 2 teams from this group make the finals.
13-18 play each other in final rounds to determine first 6 picks.

Top 6 pick still helps the side finishing last.
Pick 1 becomes a reward for a team performing well but still not out of the bottom yet.

Becomes a bit murky with future pick trading though.
i.e Pies could tank to last to avoid GWS getting pick 1 in this scenario.

1-6 qualify for finals

1-6 play each other in final rounds. Determines final order for home finals games
7-12 play each other in final rounds. Best 2 teams from this group make the finals.

Pick 1 becomes a reward for a team performing well but still not out of the bottom yet.

Don't mind it. Could be an issue with 11 home games but that would be very rare. In which case you'd just play 2 teams at a neutral venue.

The inequities in the home and away which magnify into the finals could be resolved simply by having week 1 of finals as two legs home and away

not sure two leg finals sit well with Aussie rules tradition though. It would work as stated though

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say 5 of the top 6 had 8 home games and the other 9 and they are all in different states. Might mean 1 team or 2 misses out on 11 home games.
Would be rare thou as in most cases it's easy enough to juggle
Yeah. could be quite the juggling act.

I think you'd break the season up into the 1st 17 as the H&A
Then you can reverse the home fixtures the following season as an equitable draw

How you approach the next 5 though is tricky.

It also removes the double up Derby/Showdown/Battle/Clash fixtures unless those clubs are in the same zones.
Which may not be palatable.

I love Thursday night football.
I love watching Thursday night football. Give me footy any night of the week, I’ll watch.

But, I hate my team being involved in Thursday night. One short week for recovery time combined with a larger than usual break the weekend after. Especially as WC play a stack of Sunday games, it’s a long time between matches if you lose. And if you win, any buzz or momentum/confidence you might gain from a hard fought win may be disrupted.

If the ball hits the post then goes through the big ones it is worth six, if it goes through the little ones it is worth one. If it hits any post and comes back into play it's play on.

Helps to get rid of tough decisions for the naked eye and 144p AFL goal line webcams where possible.

If the ball hits the post then goes through the big ones it is worth six, if it goes through the little ones it is worth one. If it hits any post and comes back into play it's play on.

Helps to get rid of tough decisions for the naked eye and 144p AFL goal line webcams where possible.
Using the Snicko and Hot Spot from cricket broadcasts would do it easy.

1-6 qualify for finals

Teams in second group late season would tank to be in the third group to win pick 1 rather than have a slim shot at making up the numbers in finals. Second group holds no interest to a neutral.
Also- trading future picks in this scenario would be problematic.

This was trialled in a NAB Cup years ago.

Footy has quirky rules about scoring. In any other game the post is just part of the goal. Soccer, rugby etc. it's either in or out and if it rebounds back into play then play continues.

Why do you need to kick the ball through the goals anyway? Why not handball or just run it through? Why does it matter who touched it last? In soccer the goalkeeper's job is to keep the ball out of the goal (hence the name), not touch it before it goes in. If you charge down a penalty kick in rugby and it wobbles over the bar it's still 3 points. In the unlikely event you tip a rebound attempt into the wrong hoop in basketball the score still counts.

But that's footy. People unfamiliar probably wonder why a player is allowed to run out of bounds and hold the ball in play, then bounce an oval ball on the grass, then punch the ball out of their palm to a teammate when throwing it is much simpler, for the player who gets it to kick towards the goals only for the opposition player to catch it and run through the goal...

Get rid of yellow and red balls and different choice depending on timeslot.
Every game. A white sherrin.

Soccer balls are white regardless of timeslot.
This isnt true. Lots of leagues switch to yellow balls in winter

I love this idea, but think the bands should be larger. And dont think it needs to have anything to do with tanking, the draft lottery would just be an interesting spectacle. The bottom 6 teams should all be a chance of getting the number 1 pick, but the team who finished last should have the highest chance of drawing it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back