Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
always thought there was a simple fix to both draft & fixture evenness.

Rd 1-17. Everyone plays each other once.
1-6 qualify for finals

1-6 play each other in final rounds. Determines final order for home finals games
7-12 play each other in final rounds. Best 2 teams from this group make the finals.
13-18 play each other in final rounds to determine first 6 picks.

Top 6 pick still helps the side finishing last.
Pick 1 becomes a reward for a team performing well but still not out of the bottom yet.

Becomes a bit murky with future pick trading though.
i.e Pies could tank to last to avoid GWS getting pick 1 in this scenario.
Terrible idea.
Most years by rd 17 you barely have percentage separating 4-8.
You really want to punish a team in 8th that could still finish in the top 2?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Should be play on (not in the back) When players get tackled from behind and dive forward, dragging the tackler to land on their back
I'd take it one step further - push in the back, where it happens in the process of a tackle, should not be a free kick. Unless you're full on spear tackling them in the back, I see no reason for it. If it's dangerous, call it a dangerous tackle, but by default the "in the back" free kick shouldn't exist as it rewards diving.

At the very least, it should be treated the same as ducking. Ducking a tackle is a legitimate strategy to avoid being tackled, and players are free to use it, with umpires (in most cases) no longer giving frees where they have evidently ducked.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This was trialled in a NAB Cup years ago.

Footy has quirky rules about scoring. In any other game the post is just part of the goal. Soccer, rugby etc. it's either in or out and if it rebounds back into play then play continues.

Why do you need to kick the ball through the goals anyway? Why not handball or just run it through? Why does it matter who touched it last? In soccer the goalkeeper's job is to keep the ball out of the goal (hence the name), not touch it before it goes in. If you charge down a penalty kick in rugby and it wobbles over the bar it's still 3 points. In the unlikely event you tip a rebound attempt into the wrong hoop in basketball the score still counts.

But that's footy. People unfamiliar probably wonder why a player is allowed to run out of bounds and hold the ball in play, then bounce an oval ball on the grass, then punch the ball out of their palm to a teammate when throwing it is much simpler, for the player who gets it to kick towards the goals only for the opposition player to catch it and run through the goal...

Needs more multiball

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Bounce along with kicking an odd shaped ball is what makes our game great .
Anyone who's tried to do it knows how hard it is and therefore appreciates watching these guys do it at full pace while being chased .
AFL players struggle to multitask at the best of times, why not make it easier on them? I can envisage a David Mundy extending hes career a further two years without the unwarranted stress of the need to bounce the ball.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
May as well bring back the place kick while we're at it!
i was having a discussion with an amateur league umpire the other week and I asked if its in the rulebook to still use a placekick. he had no idea

guess you can.

Im surprised a showy type like Riewlodt late in a winning GF hasnt tried it fir the LoLs

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
i was having a discussion with an amateur league umpire the other week and I asked if its in the rulebook to still use a placekick. he had no idea

guess you can.

Im surprised a showy type like Riewlodt late in a winning GF hasnt tried it fir the LoLs

Chris Mainwaring famously did a dropkick in final qtr of 1994 on the wing

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
They sjould bring in a rule where if you kick a goal you get the ball and restart from the oppo goal square.

nah dont like that at all - thats like rugby league where, as far as i am aware, its the only sport in the world where after you score YOU get teh ball back and its not a 50-50 back in middle or starts with opposition. terrible idea

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
nah dont like that at all - thats like rugby league where, as far as i am aware, its the only sport in the world where after you score YOU get teh ball back and its not a 50-50 back in middle or starts with opposition. terrible idea
just thunking outside the box

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
If they want to fix the fixture the only way to genuinely do it, is to have 17 games a year, with teams alternative home and away so that over a 2 year window every team has played every opponent at their home ground and at their opponents ground.

Then to pad out the fixtures, have 5 extra matches per season. Those 5 extra games are drawn at random, and they keep those games over the two year window.
I.e Essendon draws Collingwood as one of those 5 games, which means Essendon plays Collingwood 4 times in two years as opposed to 2 times in 2 years.
Then after the 2 year cycle ends, they redraw those 5 random end of season games, with teams who had just played ineligible to be matched again.

Let that cycle go 3 times (6 seasons) and then start again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The whole day.
Not saying the coverage is bad. But what’s special about Collingwood and Essendon?

Having the same two teams is holding it back. If we really want it to be the “biggest home and away game”, a grand final rematch would at least guarantee some emotion.

At the moment it’s a regular game between two average sides. Doesn’t really do the build up justice

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Not saying the coverage is bad. But what’s special about Collingwood and Essendon?

Having the same two teams is holding it back. If we really want it to be the “biggest home and away game”, a grand final rematch would at least guarantee some emotion.

At the moment it’s a regular game between two average sides. Doesn’t really do the build up justice

A grand final rematch can't be played at the MCG every year, Also it's not about having the 2 best teams it's about the day and Essendon and Collingwood add to it and make it what it is, they draw a crowd without fail and people watch without fail.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

A grand final rematch would take the focus away from Anzac Day.

And given a grand final rematch is usually a big game in its own right, it gives the AFL an extra high-rating game to sell to broadcasters.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If they want to fix the fixture the only way to genuinely do it, is to have 17 games a year, with teams alternative home and away so that over a 2 year window every team has played every opponent at their home ground and at their opponents ground.

Then to pad out the fixtures, have 5 extra matches per season. Those 5 extra games are drawn at random, and they keep those games over the two year window.
I.e Essendon draws Collingwood as one of those 5 games, which means Essendon plays Collingwood 4 times in two years as opposed to 2 times in 2 years.
Then after the 2 year cycle ends, they redraw those 5 random end of season games, with teams who had just played ineligible to be matched again.

Let that cycle go 3 times (6 seasons) and then start again.
Not adverse to it being random, but I would probably prefer it just to be set in stone. You play every team the same amount of times over X years, just rinse repeat.
Alternatively games against opposition you play twice is only worth 2 points. Takes the gaming the fixture out of it.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
A grand final rematch can't be played at the MCG every year, Also it's not about having the 2 best teams it's about the day and Essendon and Collingwood add to it and make it what it is, they draw a crowd without fail and people watch without fail.
Does anyone watch who wouldn't already watch any random game that day?

I mean, I don't really know anyone except Essendon and Collingwood supporters who care about it.

Vaccination

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
San Jose Sharks
I'm fine with Essendon Collingwood as ANZAC day, as they are pretty much guaranteed to get 90,000 at the G and have an atmosphere to the game. If it was randomly drawn or a rematch of a grand final I don't think it would have the same feeling about it. Can't see people getting the same level of hyped if it was GWS vs North on ANZAC day.
The one which annoys me is Richmond Carlton to open the season. Make it either a grand final rematch or the same as the NFL where the reigning premiers host the match to raise the flag. Funnily enough this method has been done in three of the last 4 seasons with Richmond

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Then make it the two highest ranked vic clubs from the previous year.

neutral supporters care about good games of football. They couldn’t care less if it’s Essendon and Collingwood.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Then make it the two highest ranked vic clubs from the previous year.

neutral supporters care about good games of football. They couldn’t care less if it’s Essendon and Collingwood.
Meh. ANZAC Day has been made the event it is by Essendon and Collingwood working with the RSL. Essendon and Collingwood deserve it unless the RSL decide it’s time for a change.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Been years since I watched the EssvCol ANZAC game. They've either one or both been ordinary for some time, and I've grown weary of the AFLs shameless self promotion and attachment to the occasion. As an event it's become very 'meh' to me.

Maybe it's because every other game over the weekend, the AFL has tried to mooch onto the event and leeched its special? The traditional ANZAC-Eve match? :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back