Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Cripps will be out of the league in 3 years.

That the umpires are not conspiring against certain teams, they just make mistakes, controversial I know.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And they don't really make that many mistakes considering how many decisions are made in real time without the benefit of various camera angles.

And they know and understand the rules much better than the average fan.

Possesion footy, short kicks to your team mates rather than bomb and hope fast footy, will win you premierships but for some reason fans and "experts" (ex boof head footy players) will hate it and turn on the coach.

Here's one that's going to be unpopular in Adelaide. Darren Jarman's impact in the 97 Grand Final was minimal. He kicked almost all the goals after the result was settled.

Here's one that's going to be unpopular in Adelaide. Darren Jarman's impact in the 97 Grand Final was minimal. He kicked almost all the goals after the result was settled.

Nah you’re just wrong.

Crows were up by 10 points at 3/4 time

Saints kicked 4.3 in the last quarter.

You can’t tell me with a straight face that one player kicking 5 goals in a quarter didn’t have an impact.

Geelong shouldn’t rebuild just yet. They have a world of pain ahead of them when they do actually commit to one, and they may as well wait until this group actually drops out of contention to do so instead of anticipating it. Prelim finals are so hard to get to and there’s no guarantee they will get back to one when they do rebuild so as much as it’s unlikely that they’ll win a flag next year, while they’re still getting to the final four they may as well cling on for dear life and hope they can win it.

Geelong shouldn’t rebuild just yet. They have a world of pain ahead of them when they do actually commit to one, and they may as well wait until this group actually drops out of contention to do so instead of anticipating it. Prelim finals are so hard to get to and there’s no guarantee they will get back to one when they do rebuild so as much as it’s unlikely that they’ll win a flag next year, while they’re still getting to the final four they may as well cling on for dear life and hope they can win it.
Totally. They don't have a first rounder this year to do so anyway. There will be a couple of the over 30s who finish up this year but guys like Touey and Hawkins are still very important cogs in their side and Issac Smith was very good for them this year.

The bye before the grand final is a mistake. It's losing its momentum through grand final build-up fatigue
I'm pretty sure the intention is for it to be this year only (on account of COVID restrictions). I agree, I would much rather the game being played this week.

My nerves are through the roof and the game is still 8 days away!

The bye before the grand final is a mistake. It's losing its momentum through grand final build-up fatigue

Should be some form of exhibition game this week to add to the build up. State of origin would be ideal but I doubt that would happen. My idea would be to do a Vic vs. the rest of the U18 talent. I’d find it really interesting to watch the best 44 kids go at it on the big stage, and I’d imagine if it became a tradition the selection would be very competitive and prestigious.

I do kind of like the idea of the week off as it gives any players with little niggles the chance to recover (particularly with the new concussion rule) meaning we should get better grand finals. My only concern is it could end up that teams in Melbourne’s position are disadvantaged for having only played one game in three weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be some form of exhibition game this week to add to the build up. State of origin would be ideal but I doubt that would happen. My idea would be to do a Vic vs. the rest of the U18 talent. I’d find it really interesting to watch the best 44 kids go at it on the big stage, and I’d imagine if it became a tradition the selection would be very competitive and prestigious.

I do kind of like the idea of the week off as it gives any players with little niggles the chance to recover (particularly with the new concussion rule) meaning we should get better grand finals. My only concern is it could end up that teams in Melbourne’s position are disadvantaged for having only played one game in three weeks.
An under 18 state of origin or rep game under lights etc would be great. Long term I reckon its something that could easily get a crowd that would match the worst of the regular season, theres plenty of footy made people whod go and be keen to see the kids their club will take run around. Even make it free for club and afl members or something, and play it somewhere like princess Park, punt Road, whitten oval etc.

Let's be real, no one bar the footy tragics of bigfooty would be interested in an u18's rep game.
the ej whitten game gets thousands and thats just a joke game. put the best kids your team is going to draft on primetime in the vacant week between prelim and the gf when people are starved of footy and looking for hope at the draft, and im sure you'll get enough turn up. im only talking about surburban grounds too, we arent trying to fill the mcg.

Let's be real, no one bar the footy tragics of bigfooty would be interested in an u18's rep game.

Would be so easy to market though. Show interviews with coaches and recruiters throughout all the finals games talking up the top under 18 talent and why they'd love to draft them. Simply add 'Catch young gun Finn Callaghan and more future stars on September 17th from Marvel stadium in one of their final hitouts before the national draft!'

An under 18 state of origin or rep game under lights etc would be great. Long term I reckon its something that could easily get a crowd that would match the worst of the regular season, theres plenty of footy made people whod go and be keen to see the kids their club will take run around. Even make it free for club and afl members or something, and play it somewhere like princess Park, punt Road, whitten oval etc.

OR - we could revert back to a previous era, when the two losing semi final teams would play a consolation final to determine who finished 3rd and 4th for the season, which was usually played as a curtain raiser for the Grand Final - 1977 was the last time this occurred (Hawks V Tigers) prior the Pies v Roos GF replay, although it was a one-off.

Cats v Port tonight at Adelaide Oval would probably be a sell out...?

Would be so easy to market though. Show interviews with coaches and recruiters throughout all the finals games talking up the top under 18 talent and why they'd love to draft them. Simply add 'Catch young gun Finn Callaghan and more future stars on September 17th from Marvel stadium in one of their final hitouts before the national draft!'
Yep sounds like it would appeal to footy nerds who know every player on their teams list. Most people couldn't care less. Don't get me wrong there is still a reasonable number of those but not enough to justify a prime time tv slot (even with how desperate for content tv is these days)

Yep sounds like it would appeal to footy nerds who know every player on their teams list. Most people couldn't care less. Don't get me wrong there is still a reasonable number of those but not enough to justify a prime time tv slot (even with how desperate for content tv is these days)

I get what you're saying. But I think you could tap into that casual fan market of supporters whose teams finished down the bottom. Every chance their teams next future star will be on show.

OR - we could revert back to a previous era, when the two losing semi final teams would play a consolation final to determine who finished 3rd and 4th for the season, which was usually played as a curtain raiser for the Grand Final - 1977 was the last time this occurred (Hawks V Tigers) prior the Pies v Roos GF replay, although it was a one-off.

Cats v Port tonight at Adelaide Oval would probably be a sell out...?
A game played by losers. No thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back