Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This might be very popular, I have no idea. But I want to complain anyway.

I hate when players (e.g. Bailey Smith) do NBA celebrations after kicking a goal.

Go the double cobras, the single finger salute, or just anything other than copying NBA players and hoping the Big Strong Americans notice you.

Couldn't agree more.

The boys who do it don't understand that they are more impressive athletes than their idols they are imitating.

Summer pre-seasons.
Full contact sport.
World's biggest playing surface.
Ridiculous distances covered at full pace.
Hand and foot skills.

You footy boys have earned the right to your own celebrations. Start inventing them!

Bob Murphy wasnt really that unlucky in 16, he did his knee round 3.. miss 90% of season... heaps more players with more heartbreaking stories.
ps and yes i know he was captain.
I feel worse for Bruce tbh - was sitting 2nd in the Coleman, had endured a lot of social media abuse in 2020 only to turn things around, and got his injury right at the end of the H&A season.

With Murphy, I think the main reason people feel for him is that he turned down big money offers to stay loyal to a small, struggling club. When they finally turn things around, he doesn't get to enjoy the rewards

Bob Murphy wasnt really that unlucky in 16, he did his knee round 3.. miss 90% of season... heaps more players with more heartbreaking stories.
ps and yes i know he was captain.

On that note Nathan Jones isn't that unlucky either.

As much as you'd like to see him get a medal if Melbourne get up tomorrow, I'm glad they haven't Marc Murphy'd him into being a part of the finals series.

On that note Nathan Jones isn't that unlucky either.

As much as you'd like to see him get a medal if Melbourne get up tomorrow, I'm glad they haven't Marc Murphy'd him into being a part of the finals series.

It’s more so that he’s unlucky because he carried that team on his back while they basically had 21 passengers for most of his 300+ games and they happen to come good just as he drops out of the side.

It’s more so that he’s unlucky because he carried that team on his back while they basically had 21 passengers for most of his 300+ games and they happen to come good just as he drops out of the side.

Harsh reality of playing in an unsuccessful area. He probably wouldn't be a 3 time B&F winner at a better team in the same period.

Harsh reality of playing in an unsuccessful area. He probably wouldn't be a 3 time B&F winner at a better team in the same period.

Fair, but Jones is the kind of guy who is admired for how he played the game, not how good he was, I didn’t know he’d won 3 B&Fs and I don’t think my opinion of him would’ve changed had I found out he’d won 6 or 0.

I reckon there are a lot of far better players than Jones who wouldn’t have had the character to do what he did week in week out in such a shambles of a team and club.

This might be very popular, I have no idea. But I want to complain anyway.

I hate when players (e.g. Bailey Smith) do NBA celebrations after kicking a goal.

Go the double cobras, the single finger salute, or just anything other than copying NBA players and hoping the Big Strong Americans notice you.
Coniglios celebration comes to mind too. Cringe.

Not sure if it’s strictly unpopular but white shorts should largely be binned. They come from a time when all home teams wore black shorts and we don’t have that anymore (with the obvious exception of teams that actually wear black as their uniform). So it would make more sense if away sides wore shorts that were part of their colour scheme i.e Richmond and West Coast wear yellow shorts, Bombers and Demons wear red and so on (clearly teams with white in their colour scheme can still wear white shorts but it makes little sense for sides that don’t to wear them).

Last edited:
People have this idea that next season will be run just like 2019 with no covid issues. It’s not. The long lasting effects will take a decade to disappear. Victoria will have spent nearly two years in lockdown when next season starts. People have sat at home and are miserable & when it changes they ain’t going to the footy, they’ll do things that they haven’t been able to do, not go to a game that they’ve sat inside and watched for two years. And the rest of the country are not travelling to another part of the country to watch footy, if people have the money to travel they’ll be going overseas.

Id still prefer if it was shown from the broadcast angle. Those tight shots look so much better when they look impossible but the umpire stands in the centre of the goal and arches back as the ball passes over their head.

My unpopular opinion is that Sheed's goal wasn't that good...I wish I could claim it with a straight face. It's the greatest moment in GF history even as much as it upset me when it happened.

Having said that...Maynard should've got a free kick AND Sheed clearly played on.

People have this idea that next season will be run just like 2019 with no covid issues. It’s not. The long lasting effects will take a decade to disappear. Victoria will have spent nearly two years in lockdown when next season starts. People have sat at home and are miserable & when it changes they ain’t going to the footy, they’ll do things that they haven’t been able to do, not go to a game that they’ve sat inside and watched for two years. And the rest of the country are not travelling to another part of the country to watch footy, if people have the money to travel they’ll be going overseas.
Speak for yourself. I'll be going to every game I can to make up for lost time.

Speak for yourself. I'll be going to every game I can to make up for lost time.
Footy fanatics like people on BF yes I agree they’ll try to get to every game but the casual fan ain’t doing that. They’ve missed out on two years of their life they’ll probably rather spend it on a beach in Bali or Thailand than freezing their ass off at a footy game or go out with friends that they’ve barely had time to catch up with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one going overseas anytime soon chief, it will take 5 years to get airline prices back where they were.

Pretty sure this happened in the 80s

Not sure if it’s strictly unpopular but white shorts should largely be binned. They come from a time when all home teams wore black shorts and we don’t have that anymore (with the obvious exception of teams that actually wear black as their uniform). So it would make more sense if away sides wore shorts that were part of their colour scheme i.e Richmond and West Coast wear yellow shorts, Bombers and Demons wear red and so on (clearly teams with white in their colour scheme can still wear white shorts but it makes little sense for sides that don’t to wear them).

No one going overseas anytime soon chief, it will take 5 years to get airline prices back where they were.
I think you’ll find the western/ central states it’ll be cheap to fly to Bali or Thailand. Because that’s where the money is atm and will be when it opens up. Those cheap airlines will throw the cheapest flights ever to get it back up and going. No1’s flying to Victoria or NSW for a holiday chief.

In England sports crowds have been absolutely packed, the cricket is coming off one of their best summers in terms of crowd numbers.

I see no reason Australia would be different.

I am not sure whether this is unpopular or simply contrary to the current establishment.

If this Grand Final is drawn there should be a full replay next week.

So if Bulldogs and Melbourne win in six minutes or whatever extra time I will not regard that as a actual premiership.

If a team wins in extra time they have not won anything in my book

In England sports crowds have been absolutely packed, the cricket is coming off one of their best summers in terms of crowd numbers.

I see no reason Australia would be different.
It’s a summer sport. What do you love doing if you’ve been locked up inside? Warm weather, out with friends. Some of you are in for a massive shock. No1’s clamering to freeze their ass off at the footy. The cricket i fully agree

1. Father sons should be 150 plus games. Only should be the real champs not a solid foot soldier's son.

2. Get rid of the 25% discount on Bid players. The advantage is you get a home grow talent or you keep heritage.

3. Teams reduce to 16 a side

4. Rush behinds are 2 points

5. The AFLW Out of bounds rule is the same for all competitions

6. Not a rule, but the umpires throws it straight for a ball up and don't wait for the rucks

7. Holding a player after a mark is 50m, no buts or ifs. You take the risk if you thinks its touched

8. The player who causes a high tackle is penalized either the tackler or player with the ball

9. Final 9 or 10

10. Hands in the back regardless of force should be a free

11. Grand Final should rotate between states ie Vic, NSW, Vic, SA, Vic, Qld, Vic , WA, Vic

12. Tasmania should have a team

13. 19th Team comp

14. Port should wear the black and white unless they play Collingwood

15. Rookie listed must be a least 19.

16. First round draft picks should be contracted for 4 years, second round 3 years and third round and onwards 2 years.

17. Players get 15% bonus in pay for the team they were drafted by.

18. State of Origin every 4 years as teams as the 18's competition.

Some rippers there, although I really like the father son, it's ingrained into our footy culture, but should be more open for interstate clubs eg Gibbs and Ebert.

You have to at a club a fair while to get to 100 games.

1. Father sons should be 150 plus games. Only should be the real champs not a solid foot soldier's son.

2. Get rid of the 25% discount on Bid players. The advantage is you get a home grow talent or you keep heritage.

6. Not a rule, but the umpires throws it straight for a ball up and don't wait for the rucks

7. Holding a player after a mark is 50m, no buts or ifs. You take the risk if you thinks its touched

8. The player who causes a high tackle is penalized either the tackler or player with the ball

9. Final 9 or 10

11. Grand Final should rotate between states ie Vic, NSW, Vic, SA, Vic, Qld, Vic , WA, Vic

13. 19th Team comp

16. First round draft picks should be contracted for 4 years, second round 3 years and third round and onwards 2 years.

9. Final 9 or 10

13. 19th Team comp

Number 6 is the big one. A couple of years back they did this and the congestion cleared up big time. Then, as the AFL always does with new interpretations, forgot about it after 5 weeks and we had the rolling maul midfielder again. It's the simplest fix for the congestion around the ball and the best one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back