Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Posting that you don’t consider an ET win to be legitimate in an unpopular opinions thread implies you think most people disagree with you.

Because ET still involves a ball, a football field, four posts and 36 players with the objective to score more points, nothing about it is random, and there is no more luck involved then there is in the last five minutes of a close game.

Posting I do not consider ET win legitimate has nothing to do with most people think. Legitmacy is determined by rules nothing to do what people think. All I am saying is the rule is BS and most people I think agrees with me.

Your last sentence is BS, and given your imagination I am not interested in your perspective which lacks substantiation

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Posting I do not consider ET win legitimate has nothing to do with most people think. Legitmacy is determined by rules nothing to do what people think. All I am saying is the rule is BS and most people I think agrees with me.

If you think most people agree with you then why did you post it in an unpopular opinion thread?

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The women's comp is more about PR that anything else
Yes there should be women's comp, but the Tassie team should have come before that
Just another case of AFL house saying "Look at us aren't we wonderful for having a women's comp"

The government also started giving all the funding to other sports who were more inclusive both at professional and local level,Gill had no choice but to get on board.. Hiwever the success it has had is unquestioned and no one really believed what is happening atm was possible.

That is a false narrative, where have I admitted the majority of people recognise ET win as a legitmate win?

How is extra time not a lottery? That's the point of having a normal game time to avoid lottery results and mickey mouse results. Thats why the NBA have series otherwise the effort put in is not rewarded because to many random events affect the determination of the result so why would players and others like the fans bother watching lottery results?

Not sure this is a solid argument as NBA has overtime (as many as needed) to resolve ties at the end of a game.

If the AFL want each final to be best of 5 and the GF a series of 7, go for it

Well sure, but you advocate against the lottery of extra time citing the NBA as an example, yet NBA games regularly have overtime.

Are you okay with soccer also regularly having extra time and penalty shootouts (which are indeed very much a lottery) to resolve ties? In AFL it is simply impractical (given the physical constraints of the game) to keep playing games to a best of 5 or 7 to resolve the competition.

I understand this is a thread for unpopular opinions, though, so I fully respect your defence of it.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Well sure, but you advocate against the lottery of extra time citing the NBA as an example, yet NBA games regularly have overtime.

Are you okay with soccer also regularly having extra time and penalty shootouts (which are indeed very much a lottery) to resolve ties? In AFL it is simply impractical (given the physical constraints of the game) to keep playing games to a best of 5 or 7 to resolve the competition.

I understand this is a thread for unpopular opinions, though, so I fully respect your defence of it.

Exactly, yet AFL games do not regularly have overtime, so do not include it for the GF

Actually I think the penalty shootouts for soccer sudden death games and hockey are stupid.. I am not a fan

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree the loan situation is a joke and really it highlights soccer in Europe more about money than competition or team competition

Soccer doesn't have finals though. In the FA Cup you can only represent one club in the tournament. If you transfer clubs or are loaned out and play your old team you sit out.

Torrey Craig played for Phoenix and Milwaukee this year in the NBA. So going into the finals he was guaranteed a ring. Silly.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Soccer doesn't have finals though. In the FA Cup you can only represent one club in the tournament. If you transfer clubs or are loaned out and play your old team you sit out.

Torrey Craig played for Phoenix and Milwaukee this year in the NBA. So going into the finals he was guaranteed a ring. Silly.

Agree Torrey Craig getting a ring is a joke, but thats USA the home of MMT where nothing is real

Dane Swan is a dumb campaigner who is even more boring than he is dumb.

If he couldn't kick a footy he'd be chatting up highschoolers and working as a labourer.

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
That captains are able to challenge umpiring decisions including decisions that aren’t paid (say 2 incorrect attempts allowed) which then get reviewed by a video ump. If the same ump gets it wrong 3 times then HE gets subbed off (this means you Stevic).

I know this would be devastating for the clubs who perennially top the frees but a massive win for others that aren’t so fortunate.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
That captains are able to challenge umpiring decisions including decisions that aren’t paid (say 2 incorrect attempts allowed) which then get reviewed by a video ump. If the same ump gets it wrong 3 times then HE gets subbed off (this means you Stevic).

I know this would be devastating for the clubs who perennially top the frees but a massive win for others that aren’t so fortunate.
Tigers 10-peat confirmed?

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG

Imagine the crowd reaction as the umpire gets dragged

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The match review panel watches every match on replay and penalises then eventually suspends players who stage/duck or throw the ball. If it’s hard to spot the throwing just hire the judges who disqualified that poor Aussie walker Jane Saville as she was about to enter the Olympic stadium to win the gold.

some clubs would need enormous depth I reckon!

The match review panel watches every match on replay and penalises then eventually suspends players who stage/duck or throw the ball. If it’s hard to spot the throwing just hire the judges who disqualified that poor Aussie walker Jane Saville as she was about to enter the Olympic stadium to win the gold.

some clubs would need enormous depth I reckon!
I was there that day. Cheap stadium tickets on a day with the unpopular sports. Thought we'd won the jackpot getting to see an Aussie gold as the got closer and closer to the stadium ... hits the tunnel and .. oh no! You could hear the crowd groan.

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
So was I but I was just outside the stadium, absolutely devastating. The way she handled it was pure class, basically said ’that‘s the sport’

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I can genuinely see Carlton turning it around this time under Voss.

The idea of Curnow and McKay both firing and kicking goals over a full season is frightening.

Walsh, Cripps and Cerra. Worse midfield trios have played good finals football, I'm keen to see if this midfield works.

Weitering going up another level would not surprise anyone, he alone could start swinging the tide of games from the back half.

Imagine if, wait for it, Adam Saad and Jack Martin have career best seasons? I'll admit I rated both recruits at the time of their arrival.

God I hope not, but imagine if things just click for them?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can genuinely see Carlton turning it around this time under Voss.

The idea of Curnow and McKay both firing and kicking goals over a full season is frightening.

Walsh, Cripps and Cerra. Worse midfield trios have played good finals football, I'm keen to see if this midfield works.

Weitering going up another level would not surprise anyone, he alone could start swinging the tide of games from the back half.

Imagine if, wait for it, Adam Saad and Jack Martin have career best seasons? I'll admit I rated both recruits at the time of their arrival.

God I hope not, but imagine if things just click for them?
To present an opposing opinion - I think Carlton's list has been criminally overrated the last few years, with enough holes to explain why they haven't contended for finals. It's not just about "underperformers", it's that the media is so full of Carlton and Essendon supporters that you rarely see other sides' players get hyped as much as those two clubs. What makes Carlton's list any better than Fremantle for example? I think there's a massive amount of promise in Carlton's current list, but I also think it's painfully obvious to any impartial viewer why Carlton haven't been contending for finals the last few years. This may yet change, but there's nothing to tell me that it's just a coaching issue.

Back