Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
To present an opposing opinion - I think Carlton's list has been criminally overrated the last few years, with enough holes to explain why they haven't contended for finals. It's not just about "underperformers", it's that the media is so full of Carlton and Essendon supporters that you rarely see other sides' players get hyped as much as those two clubs. What makes Carlton's list any better than Fremantle for example? I think there's a massive amount of promise in Carlton's current list, but I also think it's painfully obvious to any impartial viewer why Carlton haven't been contending for finals the last few years. This may yet change, but there's nothing to tell me that it's just a coaching issue.
Its definitely an interesting situation, curious to see when it will be when they finally turn things around. They've been awful most my life, but a different kind of awful to other teams.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

Still a mystery how these two clowns were not great mates off camera, given their obvious comedic synergy and repertoire while performing. They weren't enemies by any stretch, apparently it's just they had very little in common in their real lives...

Last edited:
Still a mystery how these two clowns were not great mates off camera, given their obvious comedic synergy and repertoire while performing. They weren't enemies by any stretch, apparently it's just they had very little in common in their real lives...
Sam Moore and Dave Prater didn't speak off stage for thirteen years at one point but sang like angels together on it.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
I can genuinely see Carlton turning it around this time under Voss.

The idea of Curnow and McKay both firing and kicking goals over a full season is frightening.

Walsh, Cripps and Cerra. Worse midfield trios have played good finals football, I'm keen to see if this midfield works.

Weitering going up another level would not surprise anyone, he alone could start swinging the tide of games from the back half.

Imagine if, wait for it, Adam Saad and Jack Martin have career best seasons? I'll admit I rated both recruits at the time of their arrival.

God I hope not, but imagine if things just click for them?
This level of intelligence for a Collingwood supporter is unprecedented.

To present an opposing opinion - I think Carlton's list has been criminally overrated the last few years, with enough holes to explain why they haven't contended for finals. It's not just about "underperformers", it's that the media is so full of Carlton and Essendon supporters that you rarely see other sides' players get hyped as much as those two clubs. What makes Carlton's list any better than Fremantle for example? I think there's a massive amount of promise in Carlton's current list, but I also think it's painfully obvious to any impartial viewer why Carlton haven't been contending for finals the last few years. This may yet change, but there's nothing to tell me that it's just a coaching issue.

The whole "underperformers" or "not wanting it enough" thing annoys me. In a game of football, the team who scores the most points will win. If a team is consistently losing games of football, they're not underperforming; they're just s**t.

Hazardinho

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
The whole "underperformers" or "not wanting it enough" thing annoys me. In a game of football, the team who scores the most points will win. If a team is consistently losing games of football, they're not underperforming; they're just sh*t.
On paper North Melbourne are the worst side in the AFL, but when you actually watch them they under deservedly finished last, so i don't quite agree with "don't win games" = automatically sh*t

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
With the release of games for 2022 coming up, I'd be happy to see a 17 game season with alternating home games each season to ensure an even fixturing.

The uneven draw is one of the biggest flaws in the current game.

To make up for the lost weeks we can then have a look at having a decent pre-season competition and somehow try and get the state of origin back as well.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
According to the poll on AFL.com this is an unpopular opinion now.

Mid-season trading will destroy the fabric of the sport and will cause premiership winning sides to have an * next to their name for winning with a player who wore different colours in the same season. I absolutely loathe the idea of it and laugh at the other sports that allow it.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

Mid-season trading will destroy the fabric of the sport and will cause premiership winning sides to have an * next to their name for winning with a player who wore different colours in the same season. I absolutely loathe the idea of it and laugh at the other sports that allow it.

Mid-season trading's happened in the VFL/AFL before.

Circa '92-'93, Essendon's Brad Fox started one of those seasons with Essendon and ended it with Richmond.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

Circa '92-'93, Essendon's Brad Fox started one of those seasons with Essendon and ended it with Richmond.

The AFL will want it to be just like all the overseas sports though. It won't take long until a star of the game moves half way through a season. Kids will start to lose their heroes to rivals in-season and their passion for the sport will take a hit.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades

What do we think of a year-round supplementary selection and DFA window?

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

And going back further, Russell Green in 1980, played for St Kilda 1 week and Hawthorn the next. From memory he rocked up to the ground after it happened, and an opposition player walking in with him, said he'd gone to the wrong ground !!
Mid season draft - not sure about it. Interesting how it evolves.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The AFL will want it to be just like all the overseas sports though. It won't take long until a star of the game moves half way through a season. Kids will start to lose their heroes to rivals in-season and their passion for the sport will take a hit.

Halfway there already. Even now supporters are told to celebrate player milestones when most of the career was elsewhere.

In recent years Geelong fans have come to know that very well.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
And going back further, Russell Green in 1980, played for St Kilda 1 week and Hawthorn the next. From memory he rocked up to the ground after it happened, and an opposition player walking in with him, said he'd gone to the wrong ground !!
Mid season draft - not sure about it. Interesting how it evolves.

Doug Cox in 1981. Requested a trade from Richmond to St.Kilda. St.Kilda played Richmond the next week, and he didn't last the first quarter.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Doug Cox in 1981. Requested a trade from Richmond to St.Kilda. St.Kilda played Richmond the next week, and he didn't last the first quarter.
That's right - forgot about him. Ended up at Essendon under Sheedy from memory. Passed away a couple of years ago .

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
The vaccination avalanche is about to hit the AFL like a steam train, Jones is not going to be the only one and already a couple of clubs are scrambling like mad to fix their on going vaccination problems..
At this stage there is Jones.

West Coast have said they have 3 players but believe they will be vaccinated and right to play next year.
St Kilda are keeping quiet but it seems the rest of the clubs are on track to be fine.

Where is this steam train coming from, when is it going to leave the station?

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Both Melbourne and West Coast would get better if Nic Nat and Max Gawn swapped teams.

Back