Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love longer seasons and shorter games
I find games too long but the season too short. I have no problems with 18 minute quarters. 15 minute half time .

If you dont play finals - so most sides, a season from April to August is fairly short.

I also love Thursday and Monday games!!

This 'inclusion' nonsense going way too far, to the point of exclusion. As I was leaving the function, the club President thanks me for attending and my son's contribution during the season and politely asked if I'd enjoyed the evening?
I couldn't help myself - given the ludicrous amount of trophies and awards presented during the night - and sarcastically replied; "I'm a bit disappointed I didn't win a trophy, I mean I did help out on the BBQ a few times..?"
Yeah the no prize for second best and, winners are winners and losers please themselves, attitude gets a bit of a shellacking these days.

I don't follow basketball[ and someone might know the specifics to this story] -about one of the gun basketball legends in America. His son got a participation award at the end his side's season. The legend dad said to the club, if he wins the most points or best player or whatever give him the trophy- if he doesn't give him nothing.
I feel the same . Builds resilience , but society in general has certainly gone down a different viewpoint.

It's the way society has gone isn't it? 8th best and fairest. :oops: Won't be long before school's stop achievement awards and dux of college, because the students who miss out will be devastated and everyone deserves a prize and some recognition.
The real winner will be the trophy shops . Might open one up myself. 👍

This is the thing that bothers me, everyone comments like it's the kids calling for all these participation awards and stuff and it never has been. This is boomer parents who can't handle that their kid wasn't good enough to win something so wanted them to leave with a trophy. Blame the >45 year old parents who started this crap, not the kids who aren't the ones asking for it.

I'd love longer seasons and shorter games
I find games too long but the season too short. I have no problems with 18 minute quarters. 15 minute half time .

If you dont play finals - so most sides, a season from April to August is fairly short.

I also love Thursday and Monday games!!
On this topic, why IS the season so short? It’s been a 22 match season since 1970, despite the fact that players are now fully professional, earn much more than they did in 1970, there are now no state games, no night series - just 22 games. Looks like the AFLPA have done a great job upping players pay for no extra matches. Should be at least a 28 game season.

The attitude and language of 'not getting one's pants pulled down' is mainly thanks to the modern sensibilities and progressive thinking members of our society imploring people to celebrate one's mere participation in any sporting event, not the scores or result. I've generally no issue with this ideology (the game was the real winner etc.) but the common sense train, in a practically seems to have well and truly shot past the station..!

At the last footy club trophy night I attended a few years ago, my youngest son 'won' a trophy for '8th runner up' in their B&F..! A few parents even received 'reignition awards' for simply filling in as goal umpires for a few games..?

We're actually not too far away from songs such as 'We are the Champions' and 'There ain't no 2nd prize' being shunned at sporting events, given their related 'non-inclusive' themes..!
Melbourne awards the Dick Taylor Medal for 5th Best and Fairest, so it's not just junior sport. If I'm not mistaken, they named the runner-up medals as far back as the 50s. (Pretty sure there are a few other clubs who award a specific medal for all of the top five.)

I don't like the black GWS guernsey and I can't stand all the kudos they get for it, like it's one of the greatest designs of all time.

In isolation, there's nothing especially wrong with it, but given the breakdown of AFL clubs and their primary colours, the last thing we ought to be doing is having teams which don't have black as a regular colour suddenly introducing it (BFBS - Black For Black's Sake as some people refer to this phenomenon when it happens in US sports).

Orange isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm pretty unimpressed with how GWS has apparently been trying to minimise the orange in its match kits. Like Fremantle with purple, GWS should be shovelling as much orange into the main kit as possible and then sticking with white and charcoal secondary kits (which still should have a healthy serve of orange on them). Adding yet another black jumper in the AFL is ridiculous.

I don't like the black GWS guernsey and I can't stand all the kudos they get for it, like it's one of the greatest designs of all time.

In isolation, there's nothing especially wrong with it, but given the breakdown of AFL clubs and their primary colours, the last thing we ought to be doing is having teams which don't have black as a regular colour suddenly introducing it (BFBS - Black For Black's Sake as some people refer to this phenomenon when it happens in US sports).

Orange isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm pretty unimpressed with how GWS has apparently been trying to minimise the orange in its match kits. Like Fremantle with purple, GWS should be shovelling as much orange into the main kit as possible and then sticking with white and charcoal secondary kits (which still should have a healthy serve of orange on them). Adding yet another black jumper in the AFL is ridiculous.
It IS charcoal, not black.

Unpopular opinion for a reason 😅

*Cough It is charcoal.

As far as using orange....we use it ALL the damn time. This year our away was very orange.

Our charcoal kit got a lot of air play coz it's used against Swans and then again in finals....coz it means something now. I think that's what you need for a fledgling club. Build pride in the jumper....sometimes you don't get to pick which guernsey that is.

It's okay to secretly want one 😉

Attachments

• images (4) (22).jpeg
    images (4) (22).jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 51
Unpopular opinion for a reason 😅

*Cough It is charcoal.

As far as using orange....we use it ALL the damn time. This year our away was very orange.

Our charcoal kit got a lot of air play coz it's used against Swans and then again in finals....coz it means something now. I think that's what you need for a fledgling club. Build pride in the jumper....sometimes you don't get to pick which guernsey that is.

It's okay to secretly want one 😉

I stand corrected. In my defence, I'd say this is charcoal much in the same way that Magic and Kareem used to get around in 'Forum Blue' for the Lakers.

1640997852601.png
1640997999613.png

To my original point, it's not so much just that there's too many teams wearing black in the AFL; it's that teams with other dark official colours seem to do their darndest to turn them into black for whatever reason (what's so great about black in the first place anyway?)

To me, this is charcoal - and it would be a lot more interesting if GWS used a colour that was closer to that.

1640998533676.png

As for using orange "ALL the damn time", how about switching the charcoal and the orange on the front of the home guernsey?

1640998743407.png
The way they're going, I'm half expecting the orange to be removed from the back completely in the next couple of years. When the colour probably represents about a third of the front of your club's primary guernsey, it's tough to say you own that colour. And with a colour as unique in the AFL as orange, the Giants should make themselves as orange as possible with their primary kit, as far as I'm concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem isn't the colour, it's the massive ******* G on the front.

Same with the logo on the Gold Coast jumper.

I stand corrected. In my defence, I'd say this is charcoal much in the same way that Magic and Kareem used to get around in 'Forum Blue' for the Lakers.

View attachment 1304172
View attachment 1304174

To my original point, it's not so much just that there's too many teams wearing black in the AFL; it's that teams with other dark official colours seem to do their darndest to turn them into black for whatever reason (what's so great about black in the first place anyway?)

To me, this is charcoal - and it would be a lot more interesting if GWS used a colour that was closer to that.

View attachment 1304178

As for using orange "ALL the damn time", how about switching the charcoal and the orange on the front of the home guernsey?

View attachment 1304180
The way they're going, I'm half expecting the orange to be removed from the back completely in the next couple of years. When the colour probably represents about a third of the front of your club's primary guernsey, it's tough to say you own that colour. And with a colour as unique in the AFL as orange, the Giants should make themselves as orange as possible with their primary kit, as far as I'm concerned.
The contrast looks better on the tele.
It's a cleaner look. We did use a lighter charcoal for many years.
This is charcoal...there are many shades.
Mixing it up isn't a bad thing. We aren't a 'traditional' club with history like the Red Legs, no need for our jumpers to reflect a past that isn't there. Be creative, make headlines...go nuts.

Attachments

• images (4) (24).jpeg
    images (4) (24).jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 48
A new state of the art and beautiful Lake Oval, incorporating the old grandstand, must be built. It will replace the failed Docklands disaster.

With Tassy replacing North, the Bloods will play at least 6 away games there (and 2 at the G) each season. The Club always attracts big crowds in Melbourne (already often outnumbering Fooyscray, St Kilda, The Dees etc).

Construction will commence in 2023 and be ready for the season opener in 2026. Buddy Franklin is expected to play.

If the Gold coast Suns changed to be the Gold Coast Reds, and kept the jumper as is, it would literally be the same as Carlton Blues with their jumper. Yet people* hang s**t on our bland jumper

* people include myself and we do need a rebrand to be the pirates

If the Gold coast Suns changed to be the Gold Coast Reds, and kept the jumper as is, it would literally be the same as Carlton Blues with their jumper. Yet people* hang sh*t on our bland jumper

For me the problem with the Suns jumper isn't its simplicity/blandness. It's the colour. A team called the 'Suns' have always played in jumpers that have yellow in it, but the predominant colour is always red, white or blue. If you're going to be the Suns your colour is somewhere between yellow and orange on the Taubmans colour chart.

Of the other teams that wear yellow in the AFL - Adelaide, Brisbane, Hawthorn, Richmond, West Coast - only Hawthorn has it as the main colour and even then they tag it as 'gold' - not really gold but a hybridy thing on Taubmans colour chart darker that yellow but brighter than orange.

Gold Coast should embrace the yellow. What colour do you think of when you think of 'Suns'? It's yellow. We wear yellow - like our national cricket team, or the most successful national soccer team. Don't judge us, love us. We're yellow.

Look at the stars. Look how they shine for you.

Dunno about that. Not sure that turning up with a mascot representing a group of people who illegally download music off the internet would instil a great deal of fear in the opposition.

At least the "Suns" puts a bit of anxiety into any oppo gingers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back