Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Me either. Nor the want of having all games of the last round played at the same time. I actually want to watch the games of the last round ffs.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Me either. Nor the want of having all games of the last round played at the same time. I actually want to watch the games of the last round ffs.
Whoever thought of playing every game at once has the mental capacity of someone who has repeatedly banged their head against a wall

What a stupid idea

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Currently we have 5 what I would call 'Etihad Tenants', being Carlton, Essendon, North, StKilda and Bulldogs. Now I'm suggesting we expand that to 6 Etihad tenants, we'll do that by the lowest placed finisher of Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond being 'relegated' to Etihad Stadium. Then we have 6 Etihad tenants and in 2024 instead of participating in the AFL they'll play in what we'll call the 'Etihad Cup'.

In the very exciting Etihad Cup they'll each play the other 5 etihad tenants 4 times for a 20 game season, and then the finals will start. We can have a final 4 system or whatever, it won't really matter because not many people will be watching. The winner however will get promoted back to the MCG (or allowed back home to Kardinia Park in Geelong's case) with the bottom placed MCG side relegated to the Etihad Cup in 2025!

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Currently we have 5 what I would call 'Etihad Tenants', being Carlton, Essendon, North, StKilda and Bulldogs. Now I'm suggesting we expand that to 6 Etihad tenants, we'll do that by the lowest placed finisher of Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond being 'relegated' to Etihad Stadium. Then we have 6 Etihad tenants and in 2024 instead of participating in the AFL they'll play in what we'll call the 'Etihad Cup'.

In the very exciting Etihad Cup they'll each play the other 5 etihad tenants 4 times for a 20 game season, and then the finals will start. We can have a final 4 system or whatever, it won't really matter because not many people will be watching. The winner however will get promoted back to the MCG (or allowed back home to Kardinia Park in Geelong's case) with the bottom placed MCG side relegated to the Etihad Cup in 2025!
Good idea, we should also have the Optus Cup for Perthians. The 2 sides there should play each other 20 times (with 2 byes) 2 semis, a prelim and a grand final for the Basil Zemplas Cup

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Good idea, we should also have the Optus Cup for Perthians. The 2 sides there should play each other 20 times (with 2 byes) 2 semis, a prelim and a grand final for the Basil Zemplas Cup
They might tank if that's the prize

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea

Statistically we would never play Marvel because we get 7-8 free wins per year at Kardinia Park. Would be very hard to lose this privilege when some of the clubs you said are poorly run.

For some reason I think you are ok with that

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Statistically we would never play Marvel because we get 7-8 free wins per year at Kardinia Park. Would be very hard to lose this privilege when some of the clubs you said are poorly run.

For some reason I think you are ok with that

I think it would work best during pandemics, you could seal off Etihad stadium so players, staff and league officials are all trapped inside safe from whichever cold or flu is doing the rounds. Food, supplies and booster shots will be airdropped in weekly as the roof will be open 30 minutes a day to let the players receive their allotted safe amount of daily sunlight.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Whoever thought of playing every game at once has the mental capacity of someone who has repeatedly banged their head against a wall

What a stupid idea

All games at the same time happened before the VFL/AFL started going country wide.

Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

What a stupid idea
…….or a decision by someone very old! All games at 2:10 pm every Saturday lasted until Sydney Sunday games in the early 80s. No sane person has ever said that’s something we should return to- except now.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
All games at the same time happened before the VFL/AFL started going country wide.
Yeah and honestly it would’ve been a very stupid idea even back then. Glad I wasn’t alive for it because I would’ve probably watched a different sport

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I used to think the Soft Cap issues that the coaches kept whinging about was all just noise and excuses but was interesting hearing Stevie Johnson on SEN yesterday say basically that his move to coach Yarrawonga in the OMFL was a financial decision because he gets paid more to do that, than to be an assistant at an AFL club.

Stevie J was very highly regarded and seen by many as a future coach in waiting, if he is walking away because he cant make a decent living as an assistant and choosing to coach country footy instead then this must change ASAP.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I used to think the Soft Cap issues that the coaches kept whinging about was all just noise and excuses but was interesting hearing Stevie Johnson on SEN yesterday say basically that his move to coach Yarrawonga in the OMFL was a financial decision because he gets paid more to do that, than to be an assistant at an AFL club.

Stevie J was very highly regarded and seen by many as a future coach in waiting, if he is walking away because he cant make a decent living as an assistant and choosing to coach country footy instead then this must change ASAP.

Haven't heard the interview, but I'm guessing Johnson was pretty matter-of-fact about it: that he gets more money, it's one tenth of the pressure to coach at that level and he's back up around the Murray, less than an hour from Wangaratta? I'm guessing it's not like he's desperate for the extra money to feed his family?

I think with his future senior coaching prospects that maybe it was just a good story of Johnson: the mercurial forward with a long list of on and off-field transgressions, who had a habit of doing outrageously undisciplined things on the field but being good enough to pull them off - becoming a coach. Of all the people to become a coach, the guy who was pretty much uncoachable as a player.

But I get where he's coming from. Senior AFL coach seems like it carries with it the possibility of an immense reward (good remuneration and the opportunity to become an instant legend of the club if you coach a premiership), but also massive risk (very short life-span, very low odds objectively of being a premiership coach, suffocating pressure)... if I'd had a Steve Johnson career, enjoyed coaching and an assistant coaching job paid pretty good money, I'd much rather that than the pressure of being a senior coach. And if a country league near home wanted to pay me more than I'd get as an assistant, I'd take it.

Unless he's in dire straits financially, I'd suggest that it probably just indicates he's not really interested in a senior position in the next few years.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Taking a player off the ground, after they have kicked a goal, is ridiculous

Name another sport in the world where you would potentially take your best player off, to get your 18th best player on, and the reason that you have taken your best player off is not because they are tired, but because they have done their job and scored

Hell, in overseas sports this is the reason other teams frequently call time outs: to arrest opposition momentum and stop a player getting a taste for scoring in case the opposing team get a run on

In the AFL, teams are doing it to themselves and arresting their own momentum

Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Name another sport in the world where you would potentially take your best player off, to get your 18th best player on, and the reason that you have taken your best player off is not because they are tired, but because they have done their job and scored

Hell, in overseas sports this is the reason other teams frequently call time outs: to arrest opposition momentum and stop a player getting a taste for scoring in case the opposing team get a run on

I agree. Why do they do it? In years of watching footy with all of the special comments, coach interviews, player interviews etc I have never heard a coherent, sensible explanation of why this is done.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
I agree. Why do they do it? In years of watching footy with all of the special comments, coach interviews, player interviews etc I have never heard a coherent, sensible explanation of why this is done.
I thought it was usually set rotations and they were due to go off next stoppage anyway. A midfielder I could understand but forwards don’t have to run much so leave them on.

Demon13304

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

For starters , this hardly an unpopular opinion

It also doesn't happen as much as you think. Those players are generally set to go off anyway, and we just remember it because the cameras are on them. We don't remember the times where they stay on cos it's a non-event. I'd hazard a guess it's only once every 4-5 goals

I could be wrong though, Im sure someone out there has some statistic on it

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Clubs should not be allowed to go into points deficit to pick up F/S and academy players. If you can't pay up front then tough t***ies.

At the very minimum, if a club needs to go into deficit to pay for a player, they should need to forfeit the 20% discount

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Clubs should not be allowed to go into points deficit to pick up F/S and academy players. If you can't pay up front then tough t***ies.

At the very minimum, if a club needs to go into deficit to pay for a player, they should need to forfeit the 20% discount
Would you have said the same thing 12 months ago if Daicos was at risk of missing Collingwood?

Back