Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't care about the Hawthorn historical racism story. prove it with facts or move on.. case closed.

After Goodes I stopped caring. It’s guilty until proven innocent now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
I don't care about the Hawthorn historical racism story. prove it with facts or move on.. case closed.
There's no doubt Clarkson is a a-hole. But I'm yet to see that it's based on race. From my stand point he was an a-hole to all those that didn't have the win at all cost mentality that he did.

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I suspect that if most fans (and most folks on this forum) tried to explain to an AFL coach what we think his team's "game plan" is, he'd politely agree with our analysis, but would be p155ing himself laughing on the inside about how little we really know.

Same goes for commentators. They have their "go to" phrases - "run and gun", "kick mark", blah blah blah, but they're as ignorant as the rest of us.

I suspect that if most fans (and most folks on this forum) tried to explain to an AFL coach what we think his team's "game plan" is, he'd politely agree with our analysis, but would be p155ing himself laughing on the inside about how little we really know.

Same goes for commentators. They have their "go to" phrases - "run and gun", "kick mark", blah blah blah, but they're as ignorant as the rest of us.

Especially commentators that played 30+ years ago. Totally different game.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
It's not that bad watching your team completely suck. These back 2 back spoon Roo's have been a decent viewing experience akin to a mystery where you're trying to see which players can be part of a core that starts climbing back up the ladder. Hell even the sheer levels of shitfullness can be entertaining. No expectations are a prerequisite to the fun though.
The depressing years to support are the ones that give you hope and have traits of a good football team but age, injuries, bad coaching, fatal structural flaws, weak mentality etc crush your spirit and prevent the team from reaching its potential. Eg North's 2013 and 2016 seasons.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
No real sympathy for sacked coaches. Rutten sacked, paid out handsomely by Essendon, picked up by richmond, he’d be on 60-70k. Ratten sacked by Stkilda, picked up by n.melb, again, he’d be on 60-70k.
Such an insular, incestous industry. Theses blokes would be laughing their **** off. Jobs for the boys to the absolute extreme.

Jim Levenstein

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
No real sympathy for sacked coaches. Rutten sacked, paid out handsomely by Essendon, picked up by richmond, he’d be on 60-70k. Ratten sacked by Stkilda, picked up by n.melb, again, he’d be on 60-70k.
Such an insular, incestous industry. Theses blokes would be laughing their **** off. Jobs for the boys to the absolute extreme.
Experienced coaches with afl industry experience is hardly jobs for the boys, kinda seems integral skills for the role. And if 60-70k is the offering, massive deterrent to the talent pool. Who can live on that comfortably?

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Experienced coaches with afl industry experience is hardly jobs for the boys, kinda seems integral skills for the role. And if 60-70k is the offering, massive deterrent to the talent pool. Who can live on that comfortably?
Ex-coaches that get million dollar payouts.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Last time I read the rules, max 6 month payout.
Ratten can’t just re-sign for three more years in June and then get flicked in October and only get a six month payout. Although the cushy new job from his old mate Clarkson would ease the pain, as so often happens in the insular boys club. Time after time

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team

Rutten would be on more surely (I know that adds to your point)? Ratten is PT so won't include him.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Ratten can’t just re-sign for three more years in June and then get flicked in October and only get a six month payout. Although the cushy new job from his old mate Clarkson would ease the pain, as so often happens in the insular boys club. Time after time
Ratts didn't get his full payout, only a partial sum equating to 6 months salary.

St Kilda cannot afford any more debt.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have nothing to back this up, but surely assistants are on more than 70k a year.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

i would presume they would be on a fair bit more than $60-$70k.....you'd hope so as an assistant coach

although reading into it, it appears they copped the brunt of the soft cap being slashed due to covid.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
i would presume they would be on a fair bit more than $60-$70k.....you'd hope so as an assistant coach

although reading into it, it appears they copped the brunt of the soft cap being slashed due to covid.

You'd have to have fewer coaches then. There's no way you could offer an assistant $60,000-70,000 with the money that we know is thrown at senior AFL coaches, that's laughable. Totally uncompetitive, why not just be a PE teacher or a personal trainer? Especially when people around here seem to think the AFL media partners throw around half million salaries like confetti.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
You'd have to have fewer coaches then. There's no way you could offer an assistant $60,000-70,000 with the money that we know is thrown at senior AFL coaches, that's laughable. Totally uncompetitive, why not just be a PE teacher or a personal trainer? Especially when people around here seem to think the AFL media partners throw around half million salaries like confetti.

There a billion reasons you'd rather be an assistant coach on 60k than a PE teacher. Working with rich athletes, direct line of communication with club execs who often own businesses worth hundreds of millions. The opportunities beyond your 60k salary would be enormous. No offence to anyone but as a PE teacher you are just hanging around with other struggling teachers and savage unruly kids all day

90 % of the stat's and analysis stuff you could get some bright uni students studying sports science or whatever to do it for free as an internship and they would be delighted to do it, another reason not to pay the assistant coaches much

Back