What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to hear some of the unpopular opinions people have and why.

For me:
1. I like Andrew Demitriou. I believe he has done a good job developing the game's brand. I like his no nonsense attitude in interviews.
2. I believe the games rules should be reviewed and sometimes changed. Players get better, coaches develop new tactics and strategies and so the game changes. Having a good institution to review the state of the game as a spectacle is healthy.
3.Lance Franklin isn't in the top few players in the league. That's not to say he couldn't become the very best player in the AFL. He misses too many easy goals. Anyone who has played sport knows that a failure to reward effort is deflating. He needs to become more accurate. This goes for all forwards - Kurt Tippett, Nick Riewoldt and our Lindsay Thomas of course.

====================
This is Part 1 of this thread.

Part 2 can be found here:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/what-unpopular-afl-opinions-do-you-have-part-2.1194685/

Cher's Australian tour... mid Sept... mid Oct...

If Cher performs at the AFL grand final this year, I will spew up!!!!
The timing is not right.

You'd want to do what The Killers did last year. Release an album just before the GF, then announce the tour just after it. It's a great promo vehicle for the artist. Cher's here at the time, she won't be selling any more tickets by appearing and frankly, the money won't be that great. There's no point.

Suspensions should be reserved for dog acts. Tired of the circus and outrage associated with incidents that are accidental or careless. Waste of conversation and air space, and makes players uncertain about the way in which they play.

I think AFL suspensions are too heavy. A 6 match ban for a heavy bump is a quarter of the season essentially. That would be record penalties in almost every sport.

I don't want Tom Lynch at Hawthorn and would consider anything north of $1m a season for a him a complete waste of money.

Obviously this isn't on the cards, but to put into perspective where we would be better suited focusing our effort, I would delist James Frawley and throw the biggest contract in the history of the game at Alex Rance. Our key defence positions have always felt like our weakest point. I believe Chip is only getting a game because there is no one else to replace him. Aside from a cracking grand final in 2015, he has done absolutely nothing else in brown in gold since he came over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Shanghai debut extra special for young Sun"

Is this headline from AFL.com a little bit racist?
How exactly?
I don't want Tom Lynch at Hawthorn and would consider anything north of $1m a season for a him a complete waste of money.
Agree with this. I think Lynch is overrated. Low-mid 40s for goals 3 times in his career, only done better than that once.

He a great average forward. But in an era where good kpps are hard to come by someone will pay him $1m a season.

As above. They definitely are using puns around parody of Chinese restaurants. They did it last year too. They are writers, they know what they are doing.
Sounds like you're being a little insensitive if you do find it somewhat offensive. Is it racist to make a pun from restaurant names? No. Are they mocking a race? No.

Afl apparently is an elite professional competition who promotes healthy living, yet we still have volunteers in full view of the the TV cameras who are grossly overweight. It is time to banish the volunteers and the banners! And while you're at it ban cheer squads, as they're the great unwashed.

Sounds like you're being a little insensitive if you do find it somewhat offensive. Is it racist to make a pun from restaurant names? No. Are they mocking a race? No.

I didn't say it was racist. I asked the question. And even if i had, i don't think "insensitive" would be the error of being overly pc.

Personally, I was just pointing it out.... as being something to point out.

I hate the AFL.com headlines. They are always click bait

John Worsfold is not a good coach. Inspirational as a captain yes. But coach - never been good.
He has no game day nous, and backs his players. He was lucky at west coast he had amazing players who mostly delivered.
I think a neil balme type role is what he is best at.
head to our board
this opinion is not unpopular.

can see why we went an old hand after a tumultuous run of coaches post-sheeds.
Long term coaches are hard to replace.

Afl apparently is an elite professional competition who promotes healthy living, yet we still have volunteers in full view of the the TV cameras who are grossly overweight. It is time to banish the volunteers and the banners! And while you're at it ban cheer squads, as they're the great unwashed.
Cellulitist!

I didn't say it was racist. I asked the question. And even if i had, i don't think "insensitive" would be the error of being overly pc.

Personally, I was just pointing it out.... as being something to point out.

I hate the AFL.com headlines. They are always click bait
which is funny, cos we're already on the website.

They do run with the facade that Barrett is intelligent and witty with his "sliding doors" column, glossing over the fact he has butchered that concept to the point its no longer embarrassing...just sad.

expectations should be low.
i use it for results and team announcements.

I didn't say you did find it offensive, I said "If you do find it somewhat offensive". Saying that it would be oversensitive if you did feel that way; which it would.

I'm glad you don't
5.gif

(I meant to say oversensitive in the original post, not insensitive btw. Mistyped)

I didn't say you did find it offensive, I said "If you do find it somewhat offensive". Saying that it would be oversensitive if you did feel that way; which it would.

I'm glad you don't
5.gif

(I meant to say oversensitive in the original post, not insensitive btw. Mistyped)

Are they doing an intentional parody? That is basically what i`m more interested in. I think they are, considering they did the same thing last year.

If they are doing it intentionally, do they think it was a slick inside joke.

If it is meant to be a joke for everyone to enjoy, then is it AFL endorsed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back