What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? Part 2

If they shorten the game i stop going as its not worth the long drive down to geelong for a shorter game. The attention spam stuff is rubbish. Its only because you boomers are getting old that you think the game is too long.
That's incorrect.
Ever seen the relative mass exodus at half time?
Check it out. Little kids, teenagers, parents, oldies- many head for the trains at the G games.
Is that why there's a push to shorten the half time break?

Don't forget the thread title....

Last edited:
If people dont understand why the concept of time on is needed then there is something seriously wrong.
The game should be kept flowing. Free kicks for any ball oob. Watch the lack of need for time-on. TAC cup games are 25 minutes, ok, that is a fair compromise, 25 minutes, no time on. 100 minutes is 100 minutes.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The game should be kept flowing. Free kicks for any ball oob. Watch the lack of need for time-on. TAC cup games are 25 minutes, ok, that is a fair compromise, 25 minutes, no time on. 100 minutes is 100 minutes.
You didnt mention the oob fre kick. But you still need time on for when players hurt themselves, feign cramps, kick/rush points, cause ball ups and kick goals. The playing time needs to be consistent. I would add time on for anyone who nominates to take a shot at goal to prevent them from wasting 20 seconds of game time. Who exactly cares if it means we dont know the exact time of the day the game will finish.

You didnt mention the oob fre kick. But you still need time on for when players hurt themselves, feign cramps, kick/rush points, cause ball ups and kick goals. The playing time needs to be consistent. I would add time on for anyone who nominates to take a shot at goal to prevent them from wasting 20 seconds of game time. Who exactly cares if it means we dont know the exact time of the day the game will finish.
No, TAC games work well.
Rules are already put into place to prevent time wasting with shots at goal. The game is the game. Extra time allowances do not help.
The game is just too long and many people are bored.
It seems those that aren't spend a lot of time drinking and pissing. Are we catering for that?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
No, TAC games work well.
Rules are already put into place to prevent time wasting with shots at goal. The game is the game. Extra time allowances do not help.
The game is just too long and many people are bored.
It seems those that aren't spend a lot of time drinking and pissing. Are we catering for that?
Its not extra time. Its ensuring game time is consistent. Your lack of understanding of fairness in this regard is quite poor.

Its not extra time. Its ensuring game time is consistent. Your lack of understanding of fairness in this regard is quite poor.
Nothing about the AFL comp is about fairness.
Do you feel you get ripped off if we had a fixed 25 minute quarter game?
25 minute quarters is fair.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
One of the West Coast midfielders will get lost in the shuffle with the addition of Tim Kelly. With an already elite midfield I feel that adding another star midfielder with Kelly may cause one midfielder to see a drop in form or lack of reliance on them, I don't know who it would be, could be Kelly for all we know, but I feel at least one will get out of place.

To give consistency in playing time across qtrs and games. To disincentivize clubs rushing the ball out of bounds to waste time when in the lead. This is all pretty obvious stuff.
The playing time is consistent, 20 minutes of playing time every qtr.

When do teams rush the ball out of bounds? There is a deliberate out of bounds rule. Wouldn’t it be easier to waste time with the clock still running when the ball goes out of bounds? That’s why they stop it.

One of the West Coast midfielders will get lost in the shuffle with the addition of Tim Kelly. With an already elite midfield I feel that adding another star midfielder with Kelly may cause one midfielder to see a drop in form or lack of reliance on them, I don't know who it would be, could be Kelly for all we know, but I feel at least one will get out of place.

Masten is gone, he played most games this year. Pretty much a Kelly-Masten straight swap with a midfielder like Redden or Hutchings being the 'space-filler' and hard runner on the defensive side.

Time allowed to kick for goal should be the same as elsewhere on the ground.
Remove "push in the back". Bring back "Hands in the back"

yep

and if they don't remove the extra time for kicking for goal, no mark should be awarded for a short pass if the player signals he's kicking for goal

Lemon Boi

High quality
Nov 20, 2019
The Citrus Grove
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
North QLD Cowboys, Las Vegas Bears
If play was more open, there would be more scoring…
And with more goals scored, more ads would be shown…
And the more revenue Channel 7 gets from advertisers, the more money goes to the AFL…
Which would more than cover the loss of merchandise sales of clash guernseys…
As they would be (mostly) unnecessary, as play would be more open.

Example:
In low quality analog television, Brisbane and Adelaide do not clash as the play is more open (Round 9 2001).
BL AD 2001.png

The above match in 2001 had 37 goals between the two teams, for 37 ad breaks.
The average match in 2019 featured only approximately 24 goals between the two teams, for 24 ad breaks.
A significant loss that the AFL should be concerned about.

Sincerely, Lemon Boi :lemon:

The recasting of stupid statements as merely "unpopular" is clearly a prerequisite for muppets to consider themselves "free thinkers" as opposed to just muppets.
Stupid and unpopular are not mutually exclusive.

Back