What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flylikeaneagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
He actually received a seven match suspension. How many do you think he should have received?

It's not really about the number of weeks he received, though more weeks would have sent a better message. It's just about the worst thing I've ever seen on a footy field, up there with eye gouging.

It's the way he wasn't condemned in public. Nobody was calling Barry a coward, instead his legend grew and he was applauded for dropping Staker with one punch. Some seemed to blame Staker for being soft and falling to the ground. I'm not sure if they still do, but the footy show used to refer to the footage and laugh at Staker getting knocked out. All of this sends a terrible message. Add the rise in popularity of MMA, and we have a host of young people eager to show off their toughness.

The government likes to blame alcohol as an excuse, but alcohol doesn't turn normal people into aggressive cowards, that quality is instilled in them long before.

flylikeaneagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the free kick count is an effectively useless stat. Typically, the weaker or underdog team will come out harder to try and beat their opponents with physicality, because they don't think they can beat them with skill. There is no reason in the world that a free kick count should trend towards 50-50, it is not a coin toss. The better disciplined team will almost always have fewer frees paid against them. This is no way implies that they are favoured in any way.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I think the free kick count is an effectively useless stat. Typically, the weaker or underdog team will come out harder to try and beat their opponents with physicality, because they don't think they can beat them with skill. There is no reason in the world that a free kick count should trend towards 50-50, it is not a coin toss. The better disciplined team will almost always have fewer frees paid against them. This is no way implies that they are favoured in any way.
Certainly nailed 'unpopular'.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Jack Bradley

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That must be why eagles get so many free kicks at home - everyone is in awe of their skill and ability :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LuckyBounce!

All Australian
May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

You didn't see our game in Perth in round 2 then?

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought I was the only one! The continuing hysteria has been ridiculous. The Australian cricket team has made an art form out of this sort of thing.
Sledging only hurts if there's an element of truth. If someone called me a derogatory term for an Asian, I'm just going to think the offender is a bit weird.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Jack Billings is a quality young player who is tracking quite well for his age (21-22 years old, 4th year). Will be a fine player in his prime (ages 25-29, 2020-2024). I don't get the criticism or perception that he's some sort of "bust" draft selection. Yeah, he's not Bontempelli, but few are, and nobody reasonably expected on draft day that Bontempelli would be as good as he is, as soon as he is, either.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jack Billings is a quality young player who is tracking quite well for his age (21-22 years old, 4th year). Will be a fine player in his prime (ages 25-29, 2020-2024). I don't get the criticism or perception that he's some sort of "bust" draft selection. Yeah, he's not Bontempelli, but few are, and nobody reasonably expected on draft day that Bontempelli would be as good as he is, as soon as he is, either.

It's simple... people are idiots.

90% of footy fans who attend games, watch on TV and post here literally don't understand the game.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
It's simple... people are idiots.

90% of footy fans who attend games, watch on TV and post here literally don't understand the game.
Add to that the people in the footy media, who do understand the game, are also idiots.

LuckyBounce!

All Australian
May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Finally some common sense!

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I want my club to hire Michael Voss as 2IC to Richardson

Much like Brett Ratten, I'd be very surprised if Voss isn't a massively improved coach since his sacking.

I think Voss is a great asset to Port. Possibly he may not be the right man for every type of personality, but I agree with you (as in I'd like him at Carlton).

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I want my club to hire Michael Voss as 2IC to Richardson

You can have him if we get Richo back.

Not unpopular in Adelaide.
Ugly little brother syndrome.

Last time I checked, only one clubs "supporters" cries VFL bias whenever they lose. And what was that s**t with Sloane being suspended last year?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Sledging only hurts if there's an element of truth. If someone called me a derogatory term for an Asian, I'm just going to think the offender is a bit weird.
The sledging was based on a persistent nasty rumour. The sledging hurts because of the rumour, but it doesn't imply that there's truth to the rumour.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back